The Student Room Group

Self studying AQA economics

Hey, i need help on how to study aqa economics AS.?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Go here: http://www.economicshelp.org/shop/ and buy the AQA revision guide, it's much more simpler and gets straight to the point. Use this with conjunction to the notes from the textbook. For A2, you'd want to have real-word examples to support your argument which are neither in the revision guide or textbook - ask your teacher for those.
Original post by verify360
Go here: http://www.economicshelp.org/shop/ and buy the AQA revision guide, it's much more simpler and gets straight to the point. Use this with conjunction to the notes from the textbook. For A2, you'd want to have real-word examples to support your argument which are neither in the revision guide or textbook - ask your teacher for those.

Thank you, i will check that out :smile:
Does a2 require you to know real world example? Ill ask my teacher for those but ill also watch the news and keep up to date with current economic affairs
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Thank you, i will check that out :smile:
Does a2 require you to know real world example? Ill ask my teacher for those but ill also watch the news and keep up to date with current economic affairs

Some topics like Cost-Benefit Analysis & Labour Markets in A2 are not very detailed, so I would use the economics textbook for that but those are the harder ones and I personally would avoid answering in an exam. If you nail the 5, 12 and 20 markers and just do average in your essay that would be more than enough for an A grade. And yes, you need real world examples if you want to get a high mark in your essay.

In Unit 4, you need to talk about Monetary, Fiscal and Supply-side policies even if it asks you to discuss one in your essay.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey, i need help on how to study aqa economics AS. I need to learn the content by november/december time because i will start A2 economics with my school in september.

I need help strucuturing what to learn first and in which order. Also, do i just make notes on the textbook to learn it all?

I'm going to be self-teaching AQA AS Economics in a couple of weeks time. At the moment I am planning lessons around the official textbook and each 'lesson' will have 5 parts:

- read
- take notes
- complete activity
- practice questions
- condense notes (for revision later down the line)

There are around 50 topics, which will make 50 lessons and each lesson should be no more than 2 hours.

After going through all of the content, I will then focus on exam practice and will bring in a tutor to mark essays and help me go through the boring/difficult bits. This will hopefully be late February/March time.

If you buy the textbook and decide to go this way, it could be possible that we could go through the textbook together on Skype perhaps? Two brains could make all the difference!
Original post by jamestg
I'm going to be self-teaching AQA AS Economics in a couple of weeks time. At the moment I am planning lessons around the official textbook and each 'lesson' will have 5 parts:

- read
- take notes
- complete activity
- practice questions
- condense notes (for revision later down the line)

There are around 50 topics, which will make 50 lessons and each lesson should be no more than 2 hours.

After going through all of the content, I will then focus on exam practice and will bring in a tutor to mark essays and help me go through the boring/difficult bits. This will hopefully be late February/March time.

If you buy the textbook and decide to go this way, it could be possible that we could go through the textbook together on Skype perhaps? Two brains could make all the difference!

Are you doing just the AS next year or the whole A-level? Also how come you're self studying economics? :smile:

What is the activity you will be doing for each topic? From the textbook?

I'm learning everything chapter by chapter, didnt split up into sub topics. Your lesson structure is useful and ill try implement that in what i do :smile:

I am also trying to get through all the content first and then will practice exam technique. Although I'm going to be doing the A2 with school so i will have access to a teacher.

Yeah i wouldnt mind going through the textbook with someone else although i may be learning the AS at a faster pace because I want to do the A2 also
Reply 6
Are you doing just the AS next year or the whole A-level? Also how come you're self studying economics? :smile:

What is the activity you will be doing for each topic? From the textbook?

I'm learning everything chapter by chapter, didnt split up into sub topics. Your lesson structure is useful and ill try implement that in what i do :smile:

I am also trying to get through all the content first and then will practice exam technique. Although I'm going to be doing the A2 with school so i will have access to a teacher.

Yeah i wouldnt mind going through the textbook with someone else although i may be learning the AS at a faster pace because I want to do the A2 also

I'm just doing the AS for now, and will move onto the A2 if I enjoy/am good at it.

I'm self studying it simply because my sixth form dropped economics from the option choices and I really want to do it!

The activity is from the textbook, however if I feel I need more I'll use other resources I can find.
Original post by jamestg
I'm just doing the AS for now, and will move onto the A2 if I enjoy/am good at it.

I'm self studying it simply because my sixth form dropped economics from the option choices and I really want to do it!

The activity is from the textbook, however if I feel I need more I'll use other resources I can find.

Same here, I will continue the A2 if i feel comfortable with AS. I wasnt able to pick it this year because the classes were full :frown:
Are you going to self study the A2 if you did it?

I have the textbook, ill check out the activities. If you find anymore, could you please show me them? :smile:

What other subjects do you do?
Reply 8
Same here, I will continue the A2 if i feel comfortable with AS. I wasnt able to pick it this year because the classes were full :frown:
Are you going to self study the A2 if you did it?

I have the textbook, ill check out the activities. If you find anymore, could you please show me them? :smile:

What other subjects do you do?

I will have to self study the A2 yes, but again I'll bring a tutor during important periods of time.

And sure! I've just ordered the text book :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
I will have to self study the A2 yes, but again I'll bring a tutor during important periods of time.

What other subjects do you do and what course are you applying for at uni? :smile:
Original post by jamestg

What unis are you thinking about going and what course are you going to study?

I can recommend a really great website that is going to be opened soon to the public, and it has all the resources you need to achieve at least an A, and if you are really dedicated, an A*.
Original post by Marxist

I can recommend a really great website that is going to be opened soon to the public, and it has all the resources you need to achieve at least an A, and if you are really dedicated, an A*.

I'm aiming for a Russell group at the moment and realistically the course will be Economics or something with economics in such as PPE or Economics and Management.

This website sounds pretty good! Do you have a link?
What other subjects do you do and what course are you applying for at uni? :smile:

Biology, Maths, Politics and History!

I'm not 100% sure on the course but hopefully economics or something with economics in it!
Original post by Marxist

Could you provide us with the link please? :smile:
Original post by jamestg
Biology, Maths, Politics and History!

I'm not 100% sure on the course but hopefully economics or something with economics in it!

Sounds good :biggrin:
Have you started learning Economics?
Sounds good :biggrin:
Have you started learning Economics?

I haven't yet no, but I think today might be the day! You?
Original post by jamestg
I haven't yet no, but I think today might be the day! You?

I've done all of Chapter 1, it's quite easy. Ive wasted a lot of time, I could have done more. I'll probably get on with some next week :tongue:
To everyone replying to my quote, come back to me somewhere close to September, when the website is completed!
:biggrin:

I cannot contain my excitement too, but just be patient.
Original post by jamestg
I'm aiming for a Russell group at the moment and realistically the course will be Economics or something with economics in such as PPE or Economics and Management.

This website sounds pretty good! Do you have a link?

That sounds great!

Will have the link PM'd to you when it's released, I promise.
Original post by Marxist
That sounds great!

Will have the link PM'd to you when it's released, I promise.

Thank you so, so much!

Quick Reply

Latest