The Student Room Group

Minimum requirements for uni?

Basically i did 3 AS' and 1 A2 in my second of A level with the assumption i was staying for a thrid year and going uni in 2016. But now i was snooping on uni websites and wondering if i can go to uni this year still, Im already signed up to Ucas and predicted AAB (maths, chemistry, biology) in my AS and a C in my A2 (business) - any chance i can get into uni at all?

Thanks in advance
As you ve only one full a2 you might struggle for normal entry, that's not to say there's not a course out there:smile: . You could also look at foundation entry? What degree subject would you like to study?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
As you ve only one full a2 you might struggle for normal entry, that's not to say there's not a course out there:smile: . You could also look at foundation entry? What degree subject would you like to study?

Chemistry or accounting, thought of doing an apprenticeship in chartered accounting
Original post by rcdasilva
Chemistry or accounting, thought of doing an apprenticeship in chartered accounting

This would be well worth doing, take a look at BPP Professional Apprenticeships, they have really strong links with industry, so make a great alternative to university http://www.bpp.com/apprenticeships/programmes
Reply 4
Original post by Paulwyn
This would be well worth doing, take a look at BPP Professional Apprenticeships, they have really strong links with industry, so make a great alternative to university http://www.bpp.com/apprenticeships/programmes

Thanks for the advice, im gonna do some research on the apprenticeships, perhaps give bpp a call and find out about funding too

Another thing, if i did a third year and came out with 4 a levels, would that lower my chances on some courses?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rcdasilva
Thanks for the advice, im gonna do some research on the apprenticeships, perhaps give bpp a call and find out about funding too

Another thing, if i did a third year and came out with 4 a levels, would that lower my chances on some courses?

It won't count against you much as long as you can justify why it took 3 years instead of 2. The top tier unis more likely to decline you though as they tend to have a larger pool of applicants so can therefore be more picky.
Hi @rcdasilva

Just seen your post on apprenticeships funding - basically the government funds 100% of training costs for apprentices aged 16-18, for apprentices aged 19+ they fund part of it. The remaining amount is usually paid for by the employer, so there are no fees for you to pay!
Certain criteria applies i.e if someone has a degree already, the government won’t provide the funding.

The min. grades required differs depending on the apprenticeship and the employer (but 280 UCAS points for some higher apprenticeships is not uncommon) take a look at some vacancies on these websites:
The National Apprenticeship vacancy site (all apprenticeship roles in the country are advertised here) and Get My First Job

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply