The Student Room Group

How do English controlled assesments affect your gcse grade?

I did my English language exam and im soo worried because i have to get a grade B in order to get into sixthform and study my preffered courses. In my written controlled assesment i got high marks. So my question is say if i got a C in the exam would i get a B overall because of my controlled assesment please helpp.
Original post by Elissa_yasmin
I did my English language exam and im soo worried because i have to get a grade B in order to get into sixthform and study my preffered courses. In my written controlled assesment i got high marks. So my question is say if i got a C in the exam would i get a B overall because of my controlled assesment please helpp.

It depends on the UMS marks.

The exam is worth 60% and the coursework is 40%.

If you get a high/mid "C" grade in the exam, and have a high "B" grade or above in the coursework, then your overall grade will be a "B" grade.

I assume that the "high marks" are above a "B" grade for the coursework, right?

It would help if you can tell us yeh actually grade you got for the controlled assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would help if you could tell us the actual grade that you got in your controlled assessment*

Sorry for the misspelled words in my previous comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
It would help if you could tell us the actual grade that you got in your controlled assessment*

Sorry for the misspelled words in my previous comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant really remember the exact marks i got but i did well, im just hoping that my coursework will raise my grade.
I cant really remember the exact marks i got but i did well, im just hoping that my coursework will raise my grade.

It is possible for your coursework to raise your overall grade to a "B".

There's nothing you can do, but to wait until you get your results.

Are you thinking of studying English literature at A-Level btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is possible for your coursework to raise your overall grade to a "B".

There's nothing you can do, but to wait until you get your results.

Are you thinking of studying English literature at A-Level btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah if i get atleast a b i want to do english literature, if that doesnt require a gcse in maths because i know im going to fail it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah if i get atleast a b i want to do english literature, if that doesnt require a gcse in maths because i know im going to fail it.

I was in that situation 3 years ago.

I desperately needed a "B" or above in English Literature to study the subject as an A-Level, and I was very worried that I wouldn't achieve it as I kept getting C's overall in literature.

On results day, I ended up with an "A" in literature.

I think anything is possible. As long as you've put the effort in, studied and answered the questions properly.

To study English literature doesn't require GCSE maths. You need 5 gcse's or more including a "B" in the preferred subject.

If anything, the college will make you resit your maths as it is very important.

I wish you all the best x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I desperately needed a "B" or above in English Literature to study the subject as an A-Level, and I was very worried that I wouldn't achieve it as I kept getting C's overall in literature.

I think anything is possible. As long as you've put the effort in, studied and answered the questions properly.

To study English literature doesn't require GCSE maths. You need 5 gcse's or more including a "B" in the preferred subject.

If anything, the college will make you resit your maths as it is very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou, im just really worried that i wont get that b, and i have a feeling that im getting four gcses not five. If i get four gcses and a b in english will it matter?.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, im planning to go to sixthform although i know im failing maths for sure, would i need a mathematics gcse to study english?.
Thankyou, im just really worried that i wont get that b, and i have a feeling that im getting four gcses not five. If i get four gcses and a b in english will it matter?.

Minimum requirement is 5 GCSE's. I don't know what your college prefers, because every place is different.

Some colleges are lenient and others aren't.

I can't think of anyone who studied English lit at A-Level that got anything less than 5 GCSE's.

Did you also do any BTECs?

The important gcse's are English and Maths, so even if you fail maths, they will get you to resit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, im planning to go to sixthform although i know im failing maths for sure, would i need a mathematics gcse to study english?.

Sixth form or college, they do the same thing. (I went to both)

The only difference is with sixth form, you get more support and guidance from your subject teachers and tutor rather than college.

College does A-Levels etc, but you do things more independently and you sort of find it difficult to get support in your subjects.

You can still study English literature at A-Level, even if you fail GCSE Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your college, if they ask for 5 A*-C GCSEs they may well reject you, so have another college as a back up. Usually, most colleges will be lenient and may allow it though. Your college may allow you to do English with 4 GCSEs if you get a B, but for now just hope for the best and make sure you have another college as a back up if you don't get into your main choice. :smile:

If you fail Maths that won't be an issue though, they'll still allow you onto English A-Level, but you will have to resit GCSE Maths at the college (as this is a legal requirement that all students aged 16-18 who fail GCSE English and/or Maths must resit it).
Original post by yellowcopter
Depends on your college, if they ask for 5 A*-C GCSEs they may well reject you, so have another college as a back up. Usually, most colleges will be lenient and may allow it though. Your college may allow you to do English with 4 GCSEs if you get a B, but for now just hope for the best and make sure you have another college as a back up if you don't get into your main choice. :smile:

If you fail Maths that won't be an issue though, they'll still allow you onto English A-Level, but you will have to resit GCSE Maths at the college (as this is a legal requirement that all students aged 16-18 who fail GCSE English and/or Maths must resit it).

Im planning to go to sixthform not college. But my sixthform requires five A*-C and im so scared that i wont get five as i think im getting four, but in my sixthform letter it says i need to get a B in english in order to enrol for my courses so im kind of confused. Also, will i be able to resit msths in sixthform while still doing my other courses?.
Minimum requirement is 5 GCSE's. I don't know what your college prefers, because every place is different.

Some colleges are lenient and others aren't.

I can't think of anyone who studied English lit at A-Level that got anything less than 5 GCSE's.

Did you also do any BTECs?

The important gcse's are English and Maths, so even if you fail maths, they will get you to resit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think getting four gcses, but im hoping that ill get five. And yes i do two btecs for Ict and PE and ive got a pass for both of them, so will they help add to my grades?
Im planning to go to sixthform not college. But my sixthform requires five A*-C and im so scared that i wont get five as i think im getting four, but in my sixthform letter it says i need to get a B in english in order to enrol for my courses so im kind of confused. Also, will i be able to resit msths in sixthform while still doing my other courses?.

Sixth Forms and Colleges are practically the same. :tongue: So it makes no difference, if they require 5 A*-C, simple as you'll need 5 GCSEs. Just wait until you get your results and don't be worried.

Why are you confused, you simply need a B in Maths and 5 GCSE passes, so you need at least BCCCC, with the B being English.

Yes you will resit GCSE Maths in sixth form whilst doing your other courses if you fail it, but hopefully you won't. Don't worry about it so much until you actually get your results. :h:

Do you have a back up sixth form or college just in case you do only get 4 GCSEs and they do not accept you since you need 5? As I said though there is a chance they'll accept you and be lenient since most colleges/sixth forms are with admissions, you need to be prepared incase they won't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending