The Student Room Group

Non-religious relationship.

Why do so many Atheists seem to just reject anyone of any religion out of hand for a relationship? Yet if I as a High Church Anglican rejected someone because they were an Atheist it would be bad or wrong, the Atheists would make fun of my religion. I can't stand it when Atheists are bigots and it is fine. However whenever a religious person doesn't want to have sex for example or maybe wants to talk about religion the Atheist can handle it and just rejects them because of it. We see all this ignorant stuff chucked at Muslims like they are terrible human beings for seeking to maintain their morality, legacy and way of life. This comes not for people like me the "right" wing Anglican, but the "left" wing Atheists.

I mean I don't care what religion someone is or if they are an Atheist, Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu or anything else. I don't even have any sort of preference. I will do my own thing and hold to my views and beliefs. I would like to talk with the other person about religion and what not. However it wouldn't be an attempt to turn them into an Anglican. Which is the way many Atheists seem to take it. They can't tolerate anything challenging them.

So what are your views on having a relationship with someone of a different religion from yourself?

Scroll to see replies

Well i m an atheist and my boyfriend believes in god so i think that shows my views:P
As long as people don't preach(try and push their beliefs on me) their religion to me and they are good caring people i m not bothered what their religious beliefs are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by william walker
Why do so many Atheists seem to just reject anyone of any religion out of hand for a relationship? Yet if I as a High Church Anglican rejected someone because they were an Atheist it would be bad or wrong, the Atheists would make fun of my religion. I can't stand it when Atheists are bigots and it is fine. However whenever a religious person doesn't want to have sex for example or maybe wants to talk about religion the Atheist can handle it and just rejects them because of it. We see all this ignorant stuff chucked at Muslims like they are terrible human beings for seeking to maintain their morality, legacy and way of life. This comes not for people like me the "right" wing Anglican, but the "left" wing Atheists.

I mean I don't care what religion someone is or if they are an Atheist, Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu or anything else. I don't even have any sort of preference. I will do my own thing and hold to my views and beliefs. I would like to talk with the other person about religion and what not. However it wouldn't be an attempt to turn them into an Anglican. Which is the way many Atheists seem to take it. They can't tolerate anything challenging them.

So what are your views on having a relationship with someone of a different religion from yourself?

I understand. In a way, some of them dismiss people of religion just like ISIS or other groups dislike anyone who doesn't hold the same beliefs.
Original post by monstergirl
I understand. In a way, some of them dismiss people of religion just like ISIS or other groups dislike anyone who doesn't hold the same beliefs.

I think comparing these people to ISIL is a bit to far. They aren't going around murdering and raping people who they oppose.

However they do just dismiss anyone who is different from them or has a different view. Anyone with the morality they don't have.
I think comparing these people to ISIL is a bit to far. They aren't going around murdering and raping people who they oppose.

However they do just dismiss anyone who is different from them or has a different view. Anyone with the morality they don't have.

True but I just mean the attitudes and bigotry.
They say that they don't want people shoving religion down their throats, yet constantly tell religious people that they are idiots for believing in God. Tolerance is a two way street but some atheists don't seem to get this.
I can date people from other religions
Just not marry them
Original post by claireestelle
Well i m an atheist and my boyfriend believes in god so i think that shows my views:P
As long as people don't preach(try and push their beliefs on me) their religion to me and they are good caring people i m not bothered what their religious beliefs are.

So is your boyfriend moral? Does he believe in morality and live his life by it? Or does he just believe in God. Which would mean he isn't religious, just that he believes in God.

What does that even mean preach? You mean like inviting you to go to Church with him or having the vicar back for tea? Or trying to debate you on religion, morality and God. Or maybe just saying a pray before you eat? What you count as preaching or pushing their belief on you, is just them trying share themselves with you.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Just not marry them

I would marry someone of any religion. Just the ceremony would be Anglican within the British nation state.
Reply 8
Why do so many Atheists seem to just reject anyone of any religion out of hand for a relationship? Yet if I as a High Church Anglican rejected someone because they were an Atheist it would be bad or wrong, the Atheists would make fun of my religion.

A lot of the stuff you've said about atheists seem quite biased, most atheists aren't like that at all. Maybe you go for atheists who are more insecure in their beliefs?

In answer to your question: my view is that I have no absolute rule precluding me from a relationship with a person of different religion however I'm not gonna lie and say it is irrelevant. If I wanted something serious from the relationship then I would have to find out exactly how their way of life would interact with mine and whether they have any absolute rules themselves which might make living with them problematic.
I would marry someone of any religion. Just the ceremony would be Anglican within the British nation state.

Ok cool for you
Ok cool for you

It is about power. It isn't cool.
It used to be quite a big thing for me, but lately less so... :dontknow:

Just not marry them

Why?

Basically admitting that you'd date them with no intention whatsoever to make it a long term thing (or at least long term enough to marry...)?
I've decided I'd only date a muslim, preferably somebody who can push me on the "right" path again :yep:
It is about power. It isn't cool.

Fair enough
Original post by Law-Hopeful

Why?

Basically admitting that you'd date them with no intention whatsoever to make it a long term thing (or at least long term enough to marry...)?

Religious reasons

Why?

That's something which has always confused me. Why would anyone invest time into a relationship which they have no intention of making a long term thing?

Original post by cake_lover
I've decided I'd only date a muslim, preferably somebody who can push me on the "right" path again :yep:

Aww how cute... :h: Also, she has to be able to make good cakes and what else was it? Biryani?
So is your boyfriend moral? Does he believe in morality and live his life by it? Or does he just believe in God. Which would mean he isn't religious, just that he believes in God.

What does that even mean preach? You mean like inviting you to go to Church with him or having the vicar back for tea? Or trying to debate you on religion, morality and God. Or maybe just saying a pray before you eat? What you count as preaching or pushing their belief on you, is just them trying share themselves with you.

well he believes in the existence of a god and an after life and is also moral.i d say theist rather than strictly a Christian or anything else. the thing for me is i believe that you can be a "good" person with out the belief in a deity. morality isnt solely a relgious thing to me.

preach is probably not the best choice of words, i m mean if someone tells me i m wrong and immoral or a bad person/going to hell ectera for being an atheist and tries to "convince"/convert me in an unpolite way.

i personally would feel uncomfortable going to a church but i would speak to a vicar/pastor or other religious leader just like i d speak to anybody else as long as i dont start telling me i m going to hell , i guess what i m trying to say is I try to respect others beliefs even though i dont agree but am unhappy if people don't respect me in that same way.
some atheists go way too far of being disrespectful of other beliefs, if people arent hurting each other with them, we re all human why not try to get along.
That's something which has always confused me. Why would anyone invest time into a relationship which they have no intention of making a long term thing?

Aww how cute... :h: Also, she has to be able to make good cakes and what else was it? Biryani?

Cakes, biryani and samosas :yep:
Original post by cake_lover
Cakes, biryani and samosas :yep:

You know when I said I'll protect you from the girls? If they fulfill these requirements, shall I just let them at you?

Tbf, it's not hard to envisage a scenario where someone just wants a short-term fling.

Also not difficult to envisage a scenario where that short-term fling becomes more serious...
Tbf, it's not hard to envisage a scenario where someone just wants a short-term fling.

Also not difficult to envisage a scenario where that short-term fling becomes more serious...

It's just that personally I would never enter such a relationship, as it doesn't make sense to me to be with a type of person who you would never want to spend your life with. But I understand that some people wouldn't feel ready to make a commitment and so would intentionally enter a short term relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending