The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liam__
The UKCAT website says

So I don't think it's that.

From the scores coming in this year I don't think I've seen anyone score above 750 on DA, so maybe they've changed their scoring algorithm.

Still? Jesus they've been trialling for 3 years. Can't be a great measure if they're still uncertain on it.

I suspect in that case the questions have just been made harder to compensate for the above-average scores in the past couple of years then. Similar to what they did with VR last year.
Reply 881
Original post by Grand Pepito

Will the universities give any indication of cut off points before we send off our applications?

That's impossible. The cutoff scores are based on how everyone who applied to the uni did, so before people have applied they have no idea where the cutoff will be. For example, if everyone who applies scored between 600-700 then the cutoff will be somewhere in that range, but if everyone who applied scores 700-800 then the cutoff will be in that range.

Put another way, they look at the scores of all of their applicants, put the applicants in order then take the top x%. The UKCAT score of the lowest scoring applicant selected for interview is the cutoff score.
Hey! First post on this thread. Currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science student. I've just finished sitting the UKCAT today and scored 740 average.

I'm looking at applying to Warwick and KCL, but I'm not too sure if KCL is a smart choice since I hear they have ridiculously high cutoffs.
Hello! I'm applying for GEM 2016 entry. I have just graduated (4 days ago!) with a first and will be starting my MSc in September. Last year I got a disastrous UKCAT score but am hoping that this year will be different as it would appear I finally have a handle on AR. I'm thinking of applying to Southampton, Barts, Birmingham and Newcastle.
Original post by Natha_Lite
Hey! First post on this thread. Currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science student. I've just finished sitting the UKCAT today and scored 740 average.

I'm looking at applying to Warwick and KCL, but I'm not too sure if KCL is a smart choice since I hear they have ridiculously high cutoffs.

Well done on your score! 740 is great. I am not sure about Kings cut off but i am also interested in this so maybe someone else on here can help us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
The UKCAT website says

So I don't think it's that.

From the scores coming in this year I don't think I've seen anyone score above 750 on DA, so maybe they've changed their scoring algorithm.

I got 870 for DA this year so don't think that's the case :/

Is there anywhere on TSR yet with a poll for people's average UKCAT score? So we can get a rough idea if there's been a change in how well people are scoring this year? I think there was a poll last year...

Good luck to everybody who's still yet to sit their UKCAT! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura143

Is there anywhere on TSR yet with a poll for people's average UKCAT score? So we can get a rough idea if there's been a change in how well people are scoring this year? I think there was a poll last year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow well done! I guess for you it was ok. Just seen a fair few who said it was there best section going on but then they don't get as high as they'd have liked. What did you average?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 887

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stand corrected :smile:

The poll thread is here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3464129

Not many people have put their score in yet though.
Reply 888

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know about TSR but last year the UKCAT website published national averages, which was handy. Some (reasonably accurate) preliminary averages came out end of August I think, with final results being a bit later when the tests were done. Far as I could tell those with a 9th decile and above score had a shot at GEM interviews.

Good luck anyway!
Original post by KirstieW
I'm going to apply to Cambridge, Swansea and Birmingham for GEM and then Sheffield for their 5 year course. Completely different to you ha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

why swansea may i ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found a poll for the UKCAT on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57943225&highlight=ukcat%202016%20poll
Not many people have voted yet, but I think the thread is relatively unknown!
What are likely questions they'd ask in interviews about the NHS?
Reply 892
Original post by DoeADeer
What are likely questions they'd ask in interviews about the NHS?

I'm guessing here, but I'd think it'd be along the lines of; FYFV, A&E waiting times, ageing population, hinchingbrooke/privatisation, maybe even something on Mid Staffs etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
why swansea may i ask

Cos I did the GAMSAT in March and I got a score of 60 which should be good enough to get to interview there :smile:
Original post by liam__
I'm guessing here, but I'd think it'd be along the lines of; FYFV, A&E waiting times, ageing population, hinchingbrooke/privatisation, maybe even something on Mid Staffs etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call me stupid but what is FYFV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Call me stupid but what is FYFV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Five Year Forward View. The 'plan' for the future NHS:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/futurenhs/
Original post by MJK91
Five Year Forward View. The 'plan' for the future NHS:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/futurenhs/

Ye thought so! Just wanted to be sure haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question. I'm a pre-reg pharmacist, hopefully qualifying in September, spent my year training in hospital, rotating through different areas of medicine and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, been part of discussions on patients care with consultants, nurses and other doctors. Lots of patient contact also. I really have learnt so much about the NHS and what is to be a doctor over this year.

I want to apply for GEM, I really fancy Warwick too. Does anyone know if that would count towards the 70 hour work experience, or is it specifically voluntary work they are after?

Also I'm planning on only applying for UKCAT GEM courses (got a huge pre-reg exam to study for), anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by SimonWill71
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question. I'm a pre-reg pharmacist, hopefully qualifying in September, spent my year training in hospital, rotating through different areas of medicine and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, been part of discussions on patients care with consultants, nurses and other doctors. Lots of patient contact also. I really have learnt so much about the NHS and what is to be a doctor over this year.

I want to apply for GEM, I really fancy Warwick too. Does anyone know if that would count towards the 70 hour work experience, or is it specifically voluntary work they are after?

Also I'm planning on only applying for UKCAT GEM courses (got a huge pre-reg exam to study for), anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

They wouldnt count my nursing placement hours, so not sure if they consider hours that are part of your studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending