The Student Room Group

AQA or OCR for science a levels

which exam board is more interesting an easier
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by youreanutter

OCR are generally known to be easier for Sciences than AQA, whereas AQA have been doing a lot of weird things especially this years exams. So I'd say OCR.

As for which is more interesting they're pretty much both the same tbh.
Original post by yellowcopter
OCR are generally known to be easier for Sciences than AQA, whereas AQA have been doing a lot of weird things especially this years exams. So I'd say OCR.

really i heard aqa is easier for sciences especially physics

I have done both OCR and AQA science exams. OCR specification tends to have less content but in detail, AQA has more content but less in detail

yeah, I would say so as I have done both OCR and AQA physics

Edit; but I would choose OCR as the specification is better ordered, as opposed to AQA
(edited 8 years ago)

The OCR A-Level Science exams this year were a lot easier than AQA's crazy papers from what I've heard.

clearly haven't seen this year's ocr f324 paper if you think they're easier :'(

for chemistry AQA seems slightly easier but both exam boards are quite similar tbh
for biology DON'T DO AQA they have a horrible synoptic essay in the A2 exam
The OCR A-Level Science exams this year were a lot easier than AQA's crazy papers from what I've heard.

I resited my AS physics and did my A2 units. Unfortunately the AS exams were harder than AQA A2 exams :s-smilie:
Original post by dis0rder
clearly haven't seen this year's ocr f324 paper if you think they're easier :'(for chemistry AQA seems slightly easier but both exam boards are quite similar tbhfor biology DON'T DO AQA they have a horrible synoptic essay in the A2 exam
Yeah I heard OCR Chemistry was a bitch this year, but Biology and Physics were okay?

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I resited my AS physics and did my A2 units. Unfortunately the AS exams were harder than AQA A2 exams :s-smilie:

I guess it really depends on the exam season then. :tongue: Some years AQA are easier, some years OCR.

Moral of the story I guess is it doesn't really matter whatever board you do. Just don't step into Edexcel territory!
I have done both OCR and AQA science exams. OCR specification tends to have less content but in detail, AQA has more content but less in detail

which is easier then especially for physics
Yeah I heard OCR Chemistry was a bitch this year, but Biology and Physics were okay?

I guess it really depends on the exam season then. :tongue: Some years AQA are easier, some years OCR.

Moral of the story I guess is it doesn't really matter whatever board you do. Just don't step into Edexcel territory!

Hmm, i guess yeah. True, at the end of the day they cannot be different, they are not allowed to be
which is easier then especially for physics

I would suggest you do OCR. Will you be taking exams as a private candidate?
I would suggest you do OCR. Will you be taking exams as a private candidate?

no at school
no at school

AQA. If you love yourself. OCR's papers were kinda **** this year. At least chemistry was.

OCR is generally accepted to be harder. It goes into a lot more detail (though has slightly less breadth). The exams also are very picky. However, since you get the extra detail I believe it is more interesting. It is definitely better if you plan to do a science based degree. OCR does things other exam boards don't do so when you come to university you already know more about the topic than others do which makes it a bit easier to learn.

I personally prefer OCR.
Original post by Munrot07
OCR is generally accepted to be harder. It goes into a lot more detail (though has slightly less breadth). The exams also are very picky. However, since you get the extra detail I believe it is more interesting. It is definitely better if you plan to do a science based degree. OCR does things other exam boards don't do so when you come to university you already know more about the topic than others do which makes it a bit easier to learn.

I personally prefer OCR.

so ocr science is more interesting and beneficial for uni courses
wb if i was just taking it as an AS for a facilatating subject
so ocr science is more interesting and beneficial for uni courses
wb if i was just taking it as an AS for a facilatating subject

If you were choosing it based purely on which is easier. AQA would probably be best but even then you're not guaranteed easier exams.

Also I assume you will start in 2015 so will be taking the syllabuses? If so, it's very hard to tell what the exams will be like in terms of difficulty but if they follows trends they will start of easy and get hard every year.

The only other things is that while AQA is generally easier I do think the OCR textbook is better present and is in a more logical order.

Quick Reply

Latest