The Student Room Group

Can I transfer university after my first year?

I am about to start my Law degree, and was wondering after my first year can I transfer to a better university if my degree grade is good enough?
You d have to apply through ucas for second year entry, its possible just depends if anyones dropped out for the course you want to do at that university and you have to make sure you ve done all the modules that uni would want you to have done.
Original post by loya61
I am about to start my Law degree, and was wondering after my first year can I transfer to a better university if my degree grade is good enough?

Hey!

It's really dependent on the University and what their requirements are. You may want to ring their Admission department up and check whether you could transfer or not.
I'm thinking of doing something similar but with a different degree course. I'm thinking of taking a Foundation Year and then transferring after I have finished but I made a list of Uni's I'd like to go and I did ring them up, most did accept the Foundation Year but please do check and the admissions process is likely to be UCAS (I don't imagine anything different).

Good luck! :smile:
Depends on the uni and the course. Law is very competitive and the good unis you're looking at have very limited space available.
Reply 4
The main university I would like to transfer to would be Newcastle University, so if @Newcastle University could offer some advice that would be appreciated
It would be difficult, as law modules are done in a different order at each uni.
It is definitely possible, when I went too look around the University of Leeds chemical engineering department they told me they had a student who went to London Southbank University (i think that was it) who transferred. It was based on what percentage he got in his first year of study and he had to apply again through UCAS. I don't know how it would work for other courses/ uni's but look into it, I'm sure there is a way if you really want to do it!
Original post by loya61
The main university I would like to transfer to would be Newcastle University, so if @Newcastle University could offer some advice that would be appreciated

As others have said, you should definitely get in touch to ask:

Newcastle Law School - Admissions Enquiries [email protected]

I know Law is very specific with compulsory modules in each year so it might be that your first year programme won't match up - but even if that is the case there might still be options for transfer.

I had a friend who started out at Strathclyde University doing Journalism and Creative Writing. She did 2 years there and then transferred to Huddersfield to do English Lit with Creative Writing. Even though she did 2 years at Strathclyde, Huddersfield decided that was only enough for second year entry, so she had to do second and final year at Huddersfield.

Good luck :smile:
It entirely depends on the course, university and your performance in first year. You should contact the universities individually and ask them. I know that Newcastle University will accept transfers but I'm not sure about law itself; I see no reason why they wouldn't. One thing is for sure, if your first year doesn't roughly match that of the university you want to transfer to then you'll find it very hard to do so and will probably need to repeat first year at that university if you still want to transfer. I've actually just finished my first year at Newcastle and have been accepted to transfer into second year at the University of York.
It's not about 'roughly matching' the first year for a law degree. As you should be aware OP a qualifying law degree has 7 core modules. Most universities do these in different orders, some will ask you to do 4 full modules in first year whilst others will make you do 6 or 8 half modules, etc. It is more difficult to transfer in law because of this. If you transferred and did not pass all 7 modules across the span of your degree you would not be awarded a qualifying law degree. You would need to look at the modules Newcastle offers in first year and compare them to the modules your university offers in first year, look at the format of them etc, and see how they match up. If they are vastly different it is unlikely you will be accepted into second year but they might consider your application for first year again.
Reply 10
Original post by Dylank96
It entirely depends on the course, university and your performance in first year. You should contact the universities individually and ask them. I know that Newcastle University will accept transfers but I'm not sure about law itself; I see no reason why they wouldn't. One thing is for sure, if your first year doesn't roughly match that of the university you want to transfer to then you'll find it very hard to do so and will probably need to repeat first year at that university if you still want to transfer. I've actually just finished my first year at Newcastle and have been accepted to transfer into second year at the University of York.

Original post by infairverona
It's not about 'roughly matching' the first year for a law degree. As you should be aware OP a qualifying law degree has 7 core modules. Most universities do these in different orders, some will ask you to do 4 full modules in first year whilst others will make you do 6 or 8 half modules, etc. It is more difficult to transfer in law because of this. If you transferred and did not pass all 7 modules across the span of your degree you would not be awarded a qualifying law degree. You would need to look at the modules Newcastle offers in first year and compare them to the modules your university offers in first year, look at the format of them etc, and see how they match up. If they are vastly different it is unlikely you will be accepted into second year but they might consider your application for first year again.

Original post by sophia5892
As others have said, you should definitely get in touch to ask:Newcastle Law School - Admissions Enquiries [email protected]I know Law is very specific with compulsory modules in each year so it might be that your first year programme won't match up - but even if that is the case there might still be options for transfer.I had a friend who started out at Strathclyde University doing Journalism and Creative Writing. She did 2 years there and then transferred to Huddersfield to do English Lit with Creative Writing. Even though she did 2 years at Strathclyde, Huddersfield decided that was only enough for second year entry, so she had to do second and final year at Huddersfield.Good luck :smile:

3 out of 4 modules are the same: Legal method, contract Law and Public Law. However the last module for my Uni is Tort, whilst at Newcastle it's Land. Do you think i'll still have a chance of transferring?
Original post by loya61
3 out of 4 modules are the same: Legal method, contract Law and Public Law. However the last module for my Uni is Tort, whilst at Newcastle it's Land. Do you think i'll still have a chance of transferring?

I'm afraid I don't know - you would need to ask.

I guess theoretically, if your first year Tort module could be classed as equivalent to Newcastle's 2nd year Tort module, then you might be able to skip that class and take the Land module in second year. But I have no idea if that's actually feasible, or whether they'd consider your modules to be equivalents.

I think your best bet is to email the department with as much information as possible about the modules and see what they say.

Alternatively is there absolutely no way you could get in to Newcastle for September?
Law is provisionally on the list as having places in Clearing this year.
Original post by loya61

I would say it's unlikely if they have classified Land as a first year module, as generally law schools with 4 full modules will say that you need to pass those modules before you enter second year. So if you haven't taken one of them, they would say you can't take second year. In theory what you suggest does make sense but from my own experience with trying to transfer law schools they all said no (I didn't ask Newcastle but a handful of others all said they wouldn't do transfers for law students)
Original post by loya61

I'm having the same issue, so could I get some insight from someone like you who's been there? Did you manage to get the transfer? What did the university say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending