The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimonWill71
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question. I'm a pre-reg pharmacist, hopefully qualifying in September, spent my year training in hospital, rotating through different areas of medicine and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, been part of discussions on patients care with consultants, nurses and other doctors. Lots of patient contact also. I really have learnt so much about the NHS and what is to be a doctor over this year.

I want to apply for GEM, I really fancy Warwick too. Does anyone know if that would count towards the 70 hour work experience, or is it specifically voluntary work they are after?

Also I'm planning on only applying for UKCAT GEM courses (got a huge pre-reg exam to study for), anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

For our cohort it had to be care or voluntary work, not education. Warwick have a bad habit of changing admissions requirements every 5 minutes so I recommend you just email them: [email protected]

They don't bite :smile:
Hi Guys,
I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Human Biology and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks. Not sure if I am 100% ready yet and to be honest its the QR section that I am very rusty on. DR is my best section and with more practice I will improve on VR and AR. I am just worried about QR :frown:
Original post by jenniferuttams
Hi Guys,
I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Human Biology and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks. Not sure if I am 100% ready yet and to be honest its the QR section that I am very rusty on. DR is my best section and with more practice I will improve on VR and AR. I am just worried about QR :frown:

Honestly QR is so much easier in the exam than in practise. I was getting barely 700 in mock tests and got 810 in the real thing. Medify is a really good resource to practise using the number pad and calculator as well as being pretty similar to the real thing.
Hi guys, I've been really struggling with what to do and absolutely nobody knows really what to advise me to do about this. Over the last two years, i've been very indecisive about things; I get adamant that I want to study medicine and then something (first it was a teacher after my AS results came out) that put me off of studying it, and so I gave up. I went through sixth form with all sorts of obstacles (including a couple of family deaths and some other struggles) which I suppose could classify as extenuating circumstances. I'm HOPING to come out of this year with AAB or ABB. I currently hold an offer for Bath (a university which I really love) for biomedical sciences for AAB, and I had decided that perhaps I should go down the graduate entry route. What i'd like to know is; as people attempting to get into graduate entry medicine now, would you suggest to me I do this, or take a third year of A-levels (with extenuating circumstances) and apply for undergraduate medicine? Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read ^^
Original post by Hinicetomeetyou
Hi guys, I've been really struggling with what to do and absolutely nobody knows really what to advise me to do about this. Over the last two years, i've been very indecisive about things; I get adamant that I want to study medicine and then something (first it was a teacher after my AS results came out) that put me off of studying it, and so I gave up. I went through sixth form with all sorts of obstacles (including a couple of family deaths and some other struggles) which I suppose could classify as extenuating circumstances. I'm HOPING to come out of this year with AAB or ABB. I currently hold an offer for Bath (a university which I really love) for biomedical sciences for AAB, and I had decided that perhaps I should go down the graduate entry route. What i'd like to know is; as people attempting to get into graduate entry medicine now, would you suggest to me I do this, or take a third year of A-levels (with extenuating circumstances) and apply for undergraduate medicine? Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read ^^

If you get AAB then go for undergraduate, no shadow of a doubt. It will save you a tonne of money and is the logical option. If you get ABB and can't get universities to accept your circumstances as extenuating, then GEM is an option to consider. Please note there is a large uncertainty about whether GEM will exist in the future, the government is taking strides to reduce the number of places available so really, really, really do not bank on it. Treat it as a last resort.
Reply 905

Take the third year, find out where you can apply and go for it.

Hi

I'm currently in the process of applying for GEM. As far as i'm aware there are more advantages to applying as a college applicant compared to graduate entrant e.g. less competitive. So i would suggest taking a third year of a-levels.

Its a career choice you need to be certain off however its perfectly normal as a young adult to be indecisive about the career path to pursue. I will say, try and gain as much healthcare related experience to see if it is for you e.g. work in carehome.
Reply 907

Take the third year for sure. It would be a huge shame to do your biomed degree only for GEM to be scrapped before you get a chance to apply.
Reply 908
Going with everyone else here. Absolutely spend one more year and sort your a levels out. Just think for a second about how much more money it would take to do your latter option. For me the equivalent idea would be....would you prefer a date with scarlet Johansen or be set on fire? Decide early- stick with it.
Thanks everybody for all of the sound advice, really appreciate it. I hope you guys all manage to make your way in, as you say, GEM is so competitive and I guess it feels much like a last chance to most of you :/
Reply 910
Thanks everybody for all of the sound advice, really appreciate it. I hope you guys all manage to make your way in, as you say, GEM is so competitive and I guess it feels much like a last chance to most of you :/

There are far worse and more demanding ways of entering medicine than GEM. But it isn't your best option as it stands.
Research which uni's will accept you with a 3rd A level year, I would be highly surprised if your circumstances aren't classed as extenuating. On which note I'd highly suggest you start talking to teachers and your GP about it now, so when medical schools ask for proof you have something substantial to provide them.

Few med schools accept a resit year, but it is far better an option than spending a further 3 years studying, building debt and entering a profession that you are not interested in purely to gain entry to another course which may or may not remain available to you at the end of your first degree.
Reply 911
Original post by Samodude11
Just done my UKcat (3rd attempt) and I got 695. There goes my place. Never mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever wanted to try med with foundation at Durham 6 Years? The ukcat is really based on the average and I think it really saves the time of waiting to get through everything for grad entry than spending extra two years in uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kgee
Have you ever wanted to try med with foundation at Durham 6 Years? The ukcat is really based on the average and I think it really saves the time of waiting to get through everything for grad entry than spending extra two years in uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a graduate it would cost you £54,000 in tuition fees. Let's think about the practicality of having that sort of money spare for most people...
Reply 913
I am literally so scared that I'm not going to get between 700-800 on the UKCAT. I've finished the Kaplan book and I feel only slightly better about it. AR and Quant is still so hard for me! I have it on the 10th, and about to book Medify. I've already rescheduled, but I think I might reschedule again as I just don't feel ready. Was anyone else this close to their test still feeling uneasy about it?

I've also decided that I am only going to apply to two places (Warwick and Newcastle) this is because I feel that Southampton is just too far away and Barts I won't be able to afford to live on LDN. I know this is a risk only applying to two places, but if I don't get in then I will use the year to revise for the GAMSAT. I just hope my UKCAT will improve and will be enough for Warwick, and I have shadowed a lot of different departments, only lacking in GP shadowing! I have 6 months care work and am waiting to hear from various HCA jobs in hospitals.

I'm really starting to doubt myself whether I'm smart enough for medicine after this UKCAT is not going great. Someone please tell me I will improve once I started Medify 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 914
Original post by tw781
I am literally so scared that I'm not going to get between 700-800 on the UKCAT. I've finished the Kaplan book and I feel only slightly better about it. AR and Quant is still so hard for me! I have it on the 10th, and about to book Medify. I've already rescheduled, but I think I might reschedule again as I just don't feel ready. Was anyone else this close to their test still feeling uneasy about it?

I've also decided that I am only going to apply to two places (Warwick and Newcastle) this is because I feel that Southampton is just too far away and Barts I won't be able to afford to live on LDN. I know this is a risk only applying to two places, but if I don't get in then I will use the year to revise for the GAMSAT. I just hope my UKCAT will improve and will be enough for Warwick, and I have shadowed a lot of different departments, only lacking in GP shadowing! I have 6 months care work and am waiting to hear from various HCA jobs in hospitals.

I'm really starting to doubt myself whether I'm smart enough for medicine after this UKCAT is not going great. Someone please tell me I will improve once I started Medify 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medify is a godsend, easily the best resource I have found. Relax, you still have plenty of time :smile:
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by liam__
Medify is a godsend, easily the best resource I have found. Relax, you still have plenty of time :smile:

If it's on the 10th and you've already done some revision then you've got plenty of time. I've seen people with 800+ who started revising only two weeks prior. As Liam said, Medify and the Kaplan score higher book are the two best materials I can recommend (as well as the official mocks).

Speaking of GEM in London, does anyone know if we get any extra financial assistance being students in London than we would at a uni elsewhere?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks

I went on a course 2 weeks ago and it was helpful, it's just that my maths in general isn't great plus I haven't done any mocks yet
Original post by sampowell92
Honestly QR is so much easier in the exam than in practise. I was getting barely 700 in mock tests and got 810 in the real thing. Medify is a really good resource to practise using the number pad and calculator as well as being pretty similar to the real thing.
Thanks

I went on a course 2 weeks ago and it was helpful, it's just that my maths in general isn't great plus I haven't done any mocks yet

Get your maths up to speed with something like GCSE bitesize. You don't have to just use UKCAT resources, there are plenty of other ways of starting to prep before you tackle specific ukcat resources.
Original post by sampowell92

What practice resources did you use that had QR sections harder than the test
What practice resources did you use that had QR sections harder than the test

600Q book definitely is a lot harder. I don't know whether the Kaplan book and Medify were that much harder than the real questions (perhaps a bit) but i've taken the test twice thinking I wouldn't do well in QR and gotten 800+..

Most of the questions in the UKCAT are one-step answers and deal with pretty simple graphs/data. Practising and getting comfortable with the calculator and number pad is key, as is sticking to the 30 second limit per question. Of course, this all comes with practise!

Quick Reply