The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

is aston over-rated?

Hey,

So my bf goes to Aston uni and studies Human Biology (4 year course).

Before he got there he was so excited due to the ranking of the uni and the general good rep it gets if mentioned in public, and so was genuinely excited to start the course.

He worked really hard during sixth form, literally doing 5-6 hours of revision everyday as well as going into sixth form from 9-3. He got ABB in biology, history and another science A-level (I cant remember which one but they were all OCR boards) but anyway this was the entry requirements at the time.

He started in October and since then he's really put me off firming this uni (I'm applying for a similar course - cell and molecular biology) and making me think about adjusting in august.

1. BTEC students: He says despite the entry requirements he looked at online when he was applying, the majority of people on his course actually got in with extended BTEC's at DDM or whatever. And moans that because of their background, they hold the class up asking basic questions learnt in A-level.

2. People cheating on tests: He has 9 modules and for each he mentions there are 'quizzes?' or something like that associated which he's had to complete. Some total 30-40% of the grade for the module, so they're pretty important. He moans that although they're meant to be done individually, one person normally just chain-mails the answers to their group of friends, which if that's true, I guess is pretty unfair.

3. Exam structure: His exams are either MCQ/essay-based, neither of which are exactly what you would expect after doing A-level sciences. So with MCQ, someone knowing nothing can walk in and get 100% and with the essay-based questions, it's more of a format you'd expect in an English exam? Despite doing history, he's says he was much better at the short 4-5 mark Q's you'd find on an A-level biology/chemistry paper anyway, so it's more difficult although he might get more marks if the paper was structured differently.

So he complains about these sort of things, and I was just wondering, particularly of any other students on this course, if he's right or just exaggerating?

I received offers from Aston, UoB, Manchester, and Liverpool, and I'm predicted AAB. I was going to firm Aston to bring the requirements down, but I'm not having second thoughts about even putting it as my insurance.

Any help/advice would be appreciated:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Aston is fundamentally a business school and that's where it's reputation comes from. It does accept a larger than normal proportion of BTEC students on certain degrees. But it's still a solid university. A lot of those things you have listed you will find at other uni's. (I have been to 3 top unis in the west midlands). Not much separates them just pick what you think will be best for yourself.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I fail to see whats wrong with BTEC students? on my degree (Computer Science) I would say that I perform above average and have just as good knowledge of the subject in comparison to others (most of the course did A level or IB) and I go to a uni ranked similarly to Aston
Original post by sarahc1996
Hey,

Before he got there he was so excited due to the ranking of the uni and the general good rep it gets if mentioned in public, and so was genuinely excited to start the course.

He worked really hard during sixth form, literally doing 5-6 hours of revision everyday as well as going into sixth form from 9-3. He got ABB in biology, history and another science A-level (I cant remember which one but they were all OCR boards) but anyway this was the entry requirements at the time.

He started in October and since then he's really put me off firming this uni (I'm applying for a similar course - cell and molecular biology) and making me think about adjusting in august.

1. BTEC students: He says despite the entry requirements he looked at online when he was applying, the majority of people on his course actually got in with extended BTEC's at DDM or whatever. And moans that because of their background, they hold the class up asking basic questions learnt in A-level.

2. People cheating on tests: He has 9 modules and for each he mentions there are 'quizzes?' or something like that associated which he's had to complete. Some total 30-40% of the grade for the module, so they're pretty important. He moans that although they're meant to be done individually, one person normally just chain-mails the answers to their group of friends, which if that's true, I guess is pretty unfair.

3. Exam structure: His exams are either MCQ/essay-based, neither of which are exactly what you would expect after doing A-level sciences. So with MCQ, someone knowing nothing can walk in and get 100% and with the essay-based questions, it's more of a format you'd expect in an English exam? Despite doing history, he's says he was much better at the short 4-5 mark Q's you'd find on an A-level biology/chemistry paper anyway, so it's more difficult although he might get more marks if the paper was structured differently.

So he complains about these sort of things, and I was just wondering, particularly of any other students on this course, if he's right or just exaggerating?

I received offers from Aston, UoB, Manchester, and Liverpool, and I'm predicted AAB. I was going to firm Aston to bring the requirements down, but I'm not having second thoughts about even putting it as my insurance.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having doubts about firming us, i figured it might be worthwhile just clearing up a few of you're concerns:

BTEC Students - As a university it may be common to take those with BTEC's, providing they have taken an access course or have done exceptionally well. The fact that they can stop the lecturer and ask for support, can be a redeeming feature, it may be against social etiquette, but imagine not being able to understand something and then struggling for the next 45 minutes? Additionally it may help others in the class who don't understand but are too shy to raise their hand and ask.

People Cheating On Tests - Doing my undergraduate here, i am privy to how student groups can get around these tests, working as a team. Blackboard tests can be manipulated, however these tests are often more common in first year, where your final grade doesn't contribute to your overall degree classification. These types of tests are phased out as the degree progresses, or at least minimized in percentage contribution. If your boyfriend is truly concerned he should speak to the module leader.

Exam Structure - Like the blackboard test previously mentioned, exam structure will change in later more advanced models and become more of a challenge, such as writing your final year dissertation which will be 7000-15,000 words depending on the subject you choose.

Your boyfriend has a heavy impression, the first year of his course will not be identical to the next three, where as we tend to use first year to bring everyone up to speed, he won't feel like a big fish in a small pond when second year hits.

If you have any more questions about the university i would be happy to help as a 2014 graduate and a Birmingham local of 23 years.

Josh :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey,

Hello, I studied my undergrad at Aston and graduate recently. I initially applied for Human Biology but in my second year, switched over to Biomed.

Aston, is a nice uni in the sense that you get to know people very quickly since it's a small uni - I'm sure you have heard of this during your tour.

I had an offer from UoB to study Biological Sciences because I could not study Biomedical Sciences there due to not having Alevel Chemistry. So I picked Aston instead, as the course was more appealing to me.

I regret not talking Biological Sciences at Uob. Uv had a fantastic life at Aston, don't get me wrong, but if you have an offer at UoB go there, your bf is correct about what he said.

Hope this helps x
Nothing you have mentioned is a concern and other universities do the same kind of tests. Most exams are MCQ/Essay/SAQ based alongside coursework which is MCQ/Essay based.

You really should concern yourself how other people get marks as it doesn't effect you.

From your list and having a boyfriend at Aston I would put UOB as first and Aston as insurance.

Aston's rep certainly isn't mainly from its business school it also has an excellent life health sciences dept and optometry dept so basically any science or business the rest is average.
Reply 6
Hey,

Hi , I think you should definately not go to aston as your first choice but rather your last choice. I am currently a third year there and I would advise you to go either UoB or manchester considering manchester is considered as a top 15/10 uni. Yes it is completely overrated I had an offer at uob and completely regret not going there. Hope this helps
Original post by oahmed93
Hi , I think you should definately not go to aston as your first choice but rather your last choice. I am currently a third year there and I would advise you to go either UoB or manchester considering manchester is considered as a top 15/10 uni. Yes it is completely overrated I had an offer at uob and completely regret not going there. Hope this helps

Sorry to hear you've had a negative experience studying with us, if it relates to the course, i would strongly recommend discussing your concerns with your personal tutor, or if specific enough the module leader.

Josh
Reply 8
In terms of course, I currently am studying biomed and absolutely love the course, help from tutors, content, how much pratical experience we get etc. I did A levels and as I didnt do chemistry I find I struggle with some modules, although they do put on seperate chemistry classes as extra in first year. The main complaints I have are with the other sies to university. Aston are really bad at funding extra curricular clubs and societies, many have no funding or resources and they'd rather book out the su hall to external organisations to make money than allow clubs to book it. Aston doesnt offer arts subjects and you can really tell they're not interested.
Placements is another main problem, as they sell themselves on this but are very business focused. They try and give business placements to people in every subject, and the lhs placement coordinator seems to suget manly totally irrelevant ideas and very few scientific based placements. Placements offered at the university for business areas such as marketing are paid, whereas placements at the university for all other subjects are unpaid.

So, great for course, not so great for other stuff. Also bham nightlife is great, but su events aren't run regularly and are poor when they are on.
Original post by oahmed93

Hi,
Im starting Aston Bsc Finance in sept, do you think its worth swapping to UoB? What is it specifically about the uni you dont like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Ridwan1473
Hi,
Im starting Aston Bsc Finance in sept, do you think its worth swapping to UoB? What is it specifically about the uni you dont like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would swap to U oB:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hi2015
I would swap to U oB:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a UoB student or Aston student??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I go to Aston, studying Economics and Management. I love it! I got an offer for UoB but preferred Aston overall. I've just finished my first year. I've enjoyed everything about Aston; tutors and facilities are excellent. If you need help you can get help. If you don't need help there's loads of materials to work through/use to revise. It's also nice being so close to the centre of Birmingham (10 minute walk to the bullring instead of 40 from UoB).

Not noticed anything the OP has said. I did a college course and got D*D*D* in BTEC. Her boyfriend obviously has a very backwards/old fashioned view on what a BTEC consists of. I personally believe college gave me a massive head start over A-Level students (I did one year of A-levels in my secondary school and hated it). I just got my results back and got a 1st overall in my first year at Aston.

TLDR; Aston is excellent! (probably biased because I've never studied at another uni)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by VdoubleU
I go to Aston, studying Economics and Management. I love it! I got an offer for UoB but preferred Aston overall. I've just finished my first year. I've enjoyed everything about Aston; tutors and facilities are excellent. If you need help you can get help. If you don't need help there's loads of materials to work through/use to revise. It's also nice being so close to the centre of Birmingham (10 minute walk to the bullring instead of 40 from UoB).

Not noticed anything the OP has said. I did a college course and got D*D*D* in BTEC. Her boyfriend obviously has a very backwards/old fashioned view on what a BTEC consists of. I personally believe college gave me a massive head start over A-Level students (I did one year of A-levels in my secondary school and hated it). I just got my results back and got a 1st overall in my first year at Aston.

TLDR; Aston is excellent! (probably biased because I've never studied at another uni)

Hi,
Starting At Aston in September this year to do finance, lot of people in here making me rethink it tho :frown:
How good are the prospects of an aston business student?
& is there a lot of 'druggy hooligans who are just at uni to piss about' as some people are saying about Aston?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hi,
Starting At Aston in September this year to do finance, lot of people in here making me rethink it tho :frown:
How good are the prospects of an aston business student?
& is there a lot of 'druggy hooligans who are just at uni to piss about' as some people are saying about Aston?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of this is my own opinion as an Aston student.

Prospects of an Aston student are equal to a UoB student. There are a lot of 'druggy hooligans' in Birmingham (have you seen Benefits street series 1?). But non of them attend Aston :tongue: In all seriousness I've not seen/been effected by students who are there just to piss about.

At the end of the day if you go to either UoB or Aston you're going to a well respected top university. I don't regret a single bit turning UoB down and attending Aston. If you're doing finance your first year may be the same as mine was. I can say you'll enjoy it a lot.

The people saying don't go to Aston probably studied at UoB. Aston students would probably say don't go to UoB.

Prospects of an Aston student are equal to a UoB student. There are a lot of 'druggy hooligans' in Birmingham (have you seen Benefits street series 1?). But non of them attend Aston :tongue: In all seriousness I've not seen/been effected by students who are there just to piss about.

At the end of the day if you go to either UoB or Aston you're going to a well respected top university. I don't regret a single bit turning UoB down and attending Aston. If you're doing finance your first year may be the same as mine was. I can say you'll enjoy it a lot.

The people saying don't go to Aston probably studied at UoB. Aston students would probably say don't go to UoB.

Ohhh okay, i understand now. My faith in Aston has been restored!! Haha thank you for taking time to answer my question with such detail, i appreciate it.
Is the freshers week at Aston any good??

And do UoB, Aston & BCU students integrate a lot seeing as in they're in the same city?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Ohhh okay, i understand now. My faith in Aston has been restored!! Haha thank you for taking time to answer my question with such detail, i appreciate it.

And do UoB, Aston & BCU students integrate a lot seeing as in they're in the same city?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :tongue: It's scary choosing and going to your uni at first. I was in the exact same position this time last year!
I didn't go to freshers week to be honest. Not one for clubbing would rather spend my money going to car shows :tongue: Every one else seemed to enjoy it, you couldn't walk around campus without been given a leaflet for some freshers event lol. BCU is very close to Aston so you see their students on a day to day basis. I imagine clubbing you'll probably mix with them.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm an aston student go to uob

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Freshers at aston is **** too the student union facilities and the people who run the union are a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I'm an aston student go to uob

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it about Aston you dont like apart from the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest