The Student Room Group

Can you close your eyes during sleep paralysis?

Im probably going to sound like such a baby now but im literally getting depressed about this. I've been getting SP for sometime now it hasn't been bad at all. However, now ive read about the "hallucinations" I can get Im so afraid! I dread the time where I have to go to sleep, and because I get sleep paralysis more when I have a lie in I don't have lie ins now which is effecting me so much. Also the quality of my sleep is really bad so even though I get around 9 hours I still feel awful in the morning.

It's basically the fear of the unknown and what I could hallucinate- I know I sound 5 but I hate it. I don't want to go to the doctors because he can't take fear out of me and im not taking meds.

Anyway, to the question can I close my eyes during SP or if I wear a sleep mask will I not see hallucinations even if I get the SP.

Scroll to see replies

I had it once and I don't know because I was so confused I didn't really have time to react and why would I close my eyes when I was hallucinating and feeling threatened? The problem is that you won't realise it is a hallucination.
Reply 2
My eyes are usually already shut when I get sleep paralysis as I get it when I'm falling asleep. I make sure when I go to bed I shut my eyes straight away.

Medication doesn't help. If you really are that scared you need to get serious about having good sleeping patterns. The more scared and tired you get the more likely it will occur. I went from having it several times a night to now just once every 3 months or less.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TorpidPhil
I had it once and I don't know because I was so confused I didn't really have time to react and why would I close my eyes when I was hallucinating and feeling threatened? The problem is that you won't realise it is a hallucination.

No I know when im in SP, in my last SP a figure was pushing me down but I managed to calm myself by saying to myself im in SP- but that hallucination wasn't so bad I fear worse
Original post by katy456
No I know when im in SP, in my last SP a figure was pushing me down but I managed to calm myself by saying to myself im in SP- but that hallucination wasn't so bad I fear worse

I don't know the answer.
Reply 5
I have sleep paralysis often its really kind of become a normal thing to me (but I dont know what causes it), do you know how to wake up from it? a neat little trick i learned it to focus on a small part of your body and try to force it to move like your hand or foot something else I do is to before I sleep, started doing this to actually fall asleep since i had problems doing so, is attach a feeling to a colour like i used to put make myself really relaxed and think of a colour to go with it like blue so when I'd think of that colout I would become super relaxed now it works the other way too!

This all probably sounds really weird but it works (for me at least). Good luck with them!!
Reply 6
Original post by jazjaz
My eyes are usually already shut when I get sleep paralysis as I get it when I'm falling asleep. I make sure when I go to bed I shut my eyes straight away.

Medication doesn't help. If you really are that scared you need to get serious about having good sleeping patterns. The more scared and tired you get the more likely it will occur. I went from having it several times a night to now just once every 3 months or less.

I get it in the morning, in the night I assume it would be less scary because its dark so you can't see anything anyway.

How did you reduce the episodes of SP?
Reply 7
bump
Reply 8
Original post by katy456
I get it in the morning, in the night I assume it would be less scary because its dark so you can't see anything anyway.

How did you reduce the episodes of SP?

Yes if I have it the morning as soon as I'm able to move I pull the covers above my head to endure the slight bit of hallucination I get upon 'waking' from it. I have quite heavy lined curtains in my room alone with blinds so it's usually really dark for me even in the morning.

I reduced it by always making sure I get 8-7 hours sleep (never ever less than 6 that's asking for it), not drinking coffee or any caffeinated drinks. I had to really chill out and unwind before going to bed as well. Since you're are in the morning I would suggest regular balanced sleep schedule along with de-stressing your life in general. The good news is it usually gets better with age in my teens I was very afflicted by it and scared but now it is just an occasional nuisance.
The sense of pressure (someone pushing you down or sitting on you) is VERY common in SP.
It can feel very scary/spooky but just tell yourself powerfully 'this isnt real, there is no-one there'. Often trying to speak, or shout can break the paralysis, or at least make you feel more in control.

Not getting over tired before you go to bed helps, having a regular bedtime routine with quiet reading rather than music/devices does too, The good thing is that the majority of people who get SP are adolescents - and you do grow out of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jazjaz
Yes if I have it the morning as soon as I'm able to move I pull the covers above my head to endure the slight bit of hallucination I get upon 'waking' from it. I have quite heavy lined curtains in my room alone with blinds so it's usually really dark for me even in the morning.

I reduced it by always making sure I get 8-7 hours sleep (never ever less than 6 that's asking for it), not drinking coffee or any caffeinated drinks. I had to really chill out and unwind before going to bed as well. Since you're are in the morning I would suggest regular balanced sleep schedule along with de-stressing your life in general. The good news is it usually gets better with age in my teens I was very afflicted by it and scared but now it is just an occasional nuisance.

How do you pull the covers over if you can't move? x Are your eyes open or closed?
I can't imagine how distressing sleep paralysis is for you OP, so I can't advise you on any method to make it better since I've never experienced it myself.

Just hope you find a way around it :console:
I get SP if I fall asleep on my back. I've never (touch wood!) had it on my left side.

You don't sound 5, it IS scary as ****. I don't hallucinate with SP but I always get the feeling I'm in hospital after a serious accident and things will be that way forever and that is so ****ing scary I can't describe. :afraid:
Reply 13
Original post by katy456
How do you pull the covers over if you can't move? x Are your eyes open or closed?

No I can't I meant I pull them when I can finally move because I continue to hallucinate for about 30 seconds afterwards and I actually find that one of the most scary parts.
Reply 14
Original post by jazjaz
No I can't I meant I pull them when I can finally move because I continue to hallucinate for about 30 seconds afterwards and I actually find that one of the most scary parts.

Oh what do you usually hallucinate? Are you able to close your eyes whilst hallucinating?
Reply 15
bump
Reply 16
Original post by katy456
Oh what do you usually hallucinate? Are you able to close your eyes whilst hallucinating?

It can be literally anything... I've had colourful floating ABC blocks (like the ones that you buy for babies), 'demons' jumping on my chest, biting me or stabbing me, fluffy white clouds, outer body experiences in my room, being in space and places I don't recognise, a skeleton hitting me with it's bones, being inside a volcano.... Lots of stuff sometimes pleasant often terrifying. Wow I feel crazy now. How about you?

My eyes are usually already closed when my sleep paralysis starts but on the 1 times out of 10 that they are not I can't close my eyes or move a single fibre in my body all I can do is control my breathing (to an extent). I can't close my eyes until I 'awake' from the sleep paralysis but I continue to hallucinate for a few seconds after so I pull the covers up.
Reply 17
Original post by jazjaz
It can be literally anything... I've had colourful floating ABC blocks (like the ones that you buy for babies), 'demons' jumping on my chest, biting me or stabbing me, fluffy white clouds, outer body experiences in my room, being in space and places I don't recognise, a skeleton hitting me with it's bones, being inside a volcano.... Lots of stuff sometimes pleasant often terrifying. Wow I feel crazy now. How about you?

My eyes are usually already closed when my sleep paralysis starts but on the 1 times out of 10 that they are not I can't close my eyes or move a single fibre in my body all I can do is control my breathing (to an extent). I can't close my eyes until I 'awake' from the sleep paralysis but I continue to hallucinate for a few seconds after so I pull the covers up.
I'm afraid I'm going to get hallucinations. So when you get them are they when your eyes are open or closed because u said most of the time use eyes are closed? What ways do you deal with it? Xxx
Yes definitely, I now know whenever I'm having a sleep paralysis episode to just pause, count to ten and close my eyes while trying to wriggle my fingers and my toes.
Reply 19
Original post by katy456
I'm afraid I'm going to get hallucinations. So when you get them are they when your eyes are open or closed because u said most of the time use eyes are closed? What ways do you deal with it? Xxx

Yes they are usually closed before the sleep paralysis starts as I am either going into sleep or coming out of it and they do not open during it. The times when I have it with my eyes open no I normally can't shut them. I deal with it by destressing in general, reducing my anxieties and getting a good amount of sleep (but not too much!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending