The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pars12
They must have A2 results for students that get in. It would be reasonable to assume that AS results are in line with these.

However, you would still have to rely on the assumption that the rejected candidates (about whom they have no information whatsoever) follow the same pattern as the current students.
I was asked to provide all my UMS results about a month before I started at Oxford (precisely for this sort of research). They could easily have sent the same email to students who didn't get an offer (or didn't make the final grades). I'd be interested to know the outcome!

But with AS levels set to disappear, it's mostly a non-issue at the moment.
Original post by Pars12
Well, this is new, and very frightening.

Economics applicants are not required to have economics A level (still?) so it would be unfair to ask a question from the economics syllabus. Also, as this is the first year perhaps it might have to be a bit of a pilot.

I agree the information presented online around the change in format is awful, but it's nothing that's particularly new. It's what they've been doing for years and years. It's just that previously the test was taken during December interviews at Oxford .

If you look at the specimen I posted above, it's clear that they're not relying on formal economics training, they're just testing for some basic mathematical ability and some common sense thinking on some economics problem.
Original post by fluteflute
I was asked to provide all my UMS results about a month before I started at Oxford (precisely for this sort of research). They could easily have sent the same email to students who didn't get an offer (or didn't make the final grades). I'd be interested to know the outcome!.

Bit cheeky, though! I don't think I would have replied to it!

But with AS levels set to disappear, it's mostly a non-issue at the moment.

For future applicants certainly. Still seems to be a burning issue for class of 2016. The actual wording my son heard on the outreach was "Oxford doesn't care as much as Cambridge about AS results".
Original post by Pars12
For future applicants certainly. Still seems to be a burning issue for class of 2016. The actual wording my son heard on the outreach was "Oxford doesn't care as much as Cambridge about AS results".

Well that's certainly a true statement! For most people though, grades aren't going to be the deciding factor in an Oxbridge application - the outcome of their application would probably be the same applying to either institution.
Original post by fluteflute
Well that's certainly a true statement! For most people though, grades aren't going to be the deciding factor in an Oxbridge application - the outcome of their application would probably be the same applying to either institution.

Most people will be climbing up the wall for the next 21 days. Then they can find out whether they belong to most people.:s-smilie:
Original post by Pars12
However, you would still have to rely on the assumption that the rejected candidates (about whom they have no information whatsoever) follow the same pattern as the current students.

This seems like a slightly mad objection. If you aren't happy to assume that rejectees and successful applicants follow the same patterns, what's the point of interviews, admissions tests, etc.?
On the History website it says that the written work to be submitted should not be a structured question, rather an ordinary essay. Does anyone know exactly what the difference between an ordinary essay and structured question is? Also, here in the US, our AP essays are timed at around 45-50 mins, so the number of words is closer to 500 instead of the recommended 1500. Will this be a problem? Should I take time to prepare an essay specifically to submit to Oxford? sorry for so many questions, but any help is greatly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know exactly what the difference between an ordinary essay and structured question is? Also, here in the US, our AP essays are timed at around 45-50 mins, so the number of words is closer to 500 instead of the recommended 1500.

AP essays are structured questions, an 'ordinary essay' is what you probably call a paper. If the only writing you do in your history class is practice AP questions (and you don't have any longer form papers from other classes) you may have a problem. Cambridge would make you write an essay and have a teacher grade it, but I don't know if Oxford does. The thing is that pretty much all your work in History at Oxford is writing essays (papers) (at least a paper a week) and they want to see if you can actually write one.
Hi guys could someone help me out with question 42 of the 2012 Oxford TSA please? I really don't get it :frown:

Here's the link: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/136633-tsa-oxford-2012-section-1.pdf

Original post by ari0710
Hi guys could someone help me out with question 42 of the 2012 Oxford TSA please? I really don't get it :frown:

Here's the link: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/136633-tsa-oxford-2012-section-1.pdf

Hello :smile:

I think this is how the question works - hope it helps :smile:
Original post by danniegee
Hello :smile:

I think this is how the question works - hope it helps :smile:

Looks right to us! The equation in your working helps a lot and you've read the question and given the time to the hour - although the multiple choice is kind and doesn't give 37.5 as an option.
What would happen if you achieved 3 As and 1 B at AS - bearing in mind you would be dropping the B you are in theory still on track for 3 As so would it matter?
Original post by politicalmind
What would happen if you achieved 3 As and 1 B at AS - bearing in mind you would be dropping the B you are in theory still on track for 3 As so would it matter?

Not really no - GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statement, predicted grades and the interview/s are more important.
LNAT and interview stand as the most important parts of the application. Your GCSEs might be slightly lower than average, but you can make up for this on other parts of the application and it won't hinder your application.

Quick note btw, being head girl/ boy doesn't factor in to the equation for Oxford - they'll care more about your passion for the subject in the personal statement. Mention it by all means, but the strength of your PS will be judged on academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by politicalmind
Oh ok thank you - I am still worried my GCSES are not enough at 2A*s and 8 As, although my practise LNATS have all been good and I have a very strong personal statement being head girl of my school for next year etc...

See above post - forgot to quote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
Not really no - GCSEs, admissions tests, personal statement, predicted grades and the interview/s are more important.

What about if I only achieved ABB at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it, what have you got to lose? I have BBB at AS and an Oxford offer. I probably won't meet my offer but I have no regrets
Hey, off-topic question here. Does anyone know if there's a reason this thread has a mere 60 pages while our Cambridge brethren have burnt through over 800 (!) and counting? Just curious.
Original post by JamesJones777
Go for it, what have you got to lose? I have BBB at AS and an Oxford offer. I probably won't meet my offer but I have no regrets

I'm sure you will! The only thing is I might apply for deferred entry (Oriental Studies) and if my grades aren't that great then that would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still the same advice, other aspects of the application are more important. All that matters is that your predicted grades meet the offer and are reasonable.

Latest

Trending

Trending