The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanieleZ
Hey, off-topic question here. Does anyone know if there's a reason this thread has a mere 60 pages while our Cambridge brethren have burnt through over 800 (!) and counting? Just curious.

Oxford applicants are a lot more chill? Maybe?
Original post by the1akshay
Oxford applicants are a lot more chill? Maybe?

That actually seems to be it. I've stalked their thread (it's like staking out your opponents turf) and just found pages and pages of rambling conversations about schoolwork... which is the stereotype of prospective Cambridge students I had in my head.
Original post by DanieleZ
Hey, off-topic question here. Does anyone know if there's a reason this thread has a mere 60 pages while our Cambridge brethren have burnt through over 800 (!) and counting? Just curious.

It's worse that it looks as 10 of the 60 pages are people discussing why this page is so quiet compared to The Uni That Shall Not Be Named Applicants 2016 Entry :smile:

As for the reason, well maybe there should be a poll?

Possible reasons (please add your own):

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that smart (they just love it all)

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that dumb (they need to play catch up all the time)

Oxford applicants are just so fun-loving they are out having fun

Oxford applicants are just so shy they are too embarrassed to post

Oxford applicants are too serious to fritter time away talking about trivia and making silly jokes

Oxford applicants are just too serious and need to lighten up a little

The other place is so much more difficult to get into that their applicants need to bone-up on how to get in

The other place is so much easier to get into that their applicants can frolic their time away on TSR all the while

In the words of the larger male sibling: YOU DECIDE!

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
It's worse that it looks as 10 of the 60 pages are people discussing why this page is so quiet compared to The Uni That Shall Not Be Named Applicants 2016 Entry :smile:

As for the reason, well maybe there should be a poll?

Possible reasons (please add your own):

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that smart (they just love it all)

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that dumb (they need to play catch up all the time)

Oxford applicants are just so fun-loving they are out having fun

Oxford applicants are just so shy they are too embarrassed to post

Oxford applicants are too serious to fritter time away talking about trivia and making silly jokes

Oxford applicants are just too serious and need to lighten up a little

The other place is so much more difficult to get into that their applicants need to bone-up on how to get in

The other place is so much easier to get into that their applicants can frolic their time away on TSR all the while

In the words of the larger male sibling: YOU DECIDE!

Spoiler

What do they even talk about?
Original post by adynaton
What do they even talk about?

It's seems to be about 50/50 mucking about and serious questions on Chemistry. :smile:
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
It's seems to be about 50/50 mucking about and serious questions on Chemistry. :smile:

Sounds about right :wink:

What course/college are you going to apply to? And, most of all, what made you pick oxford over the other place? :tongue:
are most of you private school too?
Original post by politicalmind
are most of you private school too?

International, sorry
Original post by adynaton
International, sorry

You go to an international school in Italy? Which one? (Sorry I was creeping haha I'm Italian as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camillaswift
You go to an international school in Italy? Which one? (Sorry I was creeping haha I'm Italian as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries at all! We Italians got to stick together (?) :tongue:

No, I actually go to a public school. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm sure you will! The only thing is I might apply for deferred entry (Oriental Studies) and if my grades aren't that great then that would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an oriental studies applicant too :L my advice is seriously go for it as long as your predictions meet the requirements
Reply 1191
I'm going to Oxford today to have a look around (couldn't make any of the official Open Days.) Any recommendations on what to visit/see/do??
Original post by lucyx
I'm going to Oxford today to have a look around (couldn't make any of the official Open Days.) Any recommendations on what to visit/see/do??

LMH! Friendly, very pretty and accommodation all three years. Building in progress -- new quad -- but will be completed Spring 2016.
Original post by lucyx

Faculties are useful, generally any colleges on the High Street or Broad Street area are easy to get to and means you can see quite a few in the day. The Bodleian library and Radcliffe Camera are worth a look. Mention you're a prospective applicant and most places will let you in :smile:

The botanic gardens are also nice if that's your kind of thing, and then you can see Magdalen and their deer park, and Univ is right next to the botanic gardens so worth a look :P
Original post by personage
LMH! Friendly, very pretty and accommodation all three years. Building in progress -- new quad -- but will be completed Spring 2016.

Visitors tend to forget the outerlying colleges, but the ten min walk can be well worth it. Central colleges tend to be oversubscribed :smile: and in reality aren't any "better".
Visitors tend to forget the outerlying colleges, but the ten min walk can be well worth it. Central colleges tend to be oversubscribed :smile: and in reality aren't any "better".

Please stop repping LMH.

Yes it is a lovely college and it's definitely worth a look, but let people make up their own minds about colleges. Nobody has said that central colleges are better, but it is a fact that it's easier to see more of the central colleges than it is to take the closer to 15-20 minute walk to further out colleges. All colleges tend to be oversubscribed, people should choose a college based on their preference, not on the statistics found online.
Original post by Lucilou101
Please stop repping LMH.

Yes it is a lovely college and it's definitely worth a look, but let people make up their own minds about colleges. Nobody has said that central colleges are better, but it is a fact that it's easier to see more of the central colleges than it is to take the closer to 15-20 minute walk to further out colleges. All colleges tend to be oversubscribed, people should choose a college based on their preference, not on the statistics found online.

Sure...but I think it's good to point out the many virtues of St Anne's, LMH, St Hughes, St Hildas etc. People do tend to forget them. The majority of threads on here only mention the central colleges..they are well known and easy to locate. A lot of people will find themselves reassigned to these "further-out" colleges, so it's well worth taking a look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sure...but I think it's good to point out the many virtues of St Anne's, LMH, St Hughes, St Hildas, Mansfield etc. People do tend to forget them. The majority of threads on here only mention the central colleges..they are well known and easy to locate. I don't mean to "repp" LMH, but a lot of people will find themselves reassigned to these "further-out" colleges, so it's well worth taking a look. Brasenose has an official rep on here, praps all colleges should. Just a thought.

To be fair the previous correspondent asked for an opinion. I'm sure she's wise enough to know it's just that.

Will shut-up now! I'm getting boring. But peeps heed my words! :biggrin:

Mansfield is central :P
me stand corrected:smile:
Is it a good idea to apply to a college where there are more people studying your subject or do your choices not entirely matter as I've heard people getting offers from somewhere they didn't even apply to