The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by legal_nyx
Had to turn down a last minute offer for a VS place for BDB as I'm at another firm right now but received a TC offer from TLT! Happy bunny indeed!

Congrats! It must be such a good feeling getting a training contract; all your years of hard work has paid of- you're going to be a lawyer! Can i ask what uni you go to please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leumas9
Hey,

Has anybody had any experience in a DLA Piper vac scheme?

I start mine on Monday and I'm really nervous, can anybody offer any advice?

DLA Piper looks like such a good firm, what/how did you find the application process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Congrats! It must be such a good feeling getting a training contract; all your years of hard work has paid of- you're going to be a lawyer! Can i ask what uni you go to please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not at uni. Graduated from KCL with a non-law degree a while ago now.
hey guys what can I talk about in relation to client focus. I don't really know what it means and what to say. please help.
Reply 5504
Original post by electro14
hey guys what can I talk about in relation to client focus. I don't really know what it means and what to say. please help.

It's getting at how a firm attracts and retains clients, e.g. Partner-led teams, fee arrangements, focus on industry sectors rather than areas of law, cross-selling of departments and international offices etc.

A lot of the 'opinion' articles in Legal Week and The Lawyer focus on the above themes, so if you read some of them you'll get an idea of what different firms are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Invited to a CC TC Assessment day early next week. Any advice urgently sought, thanks.

PS White & Case vac scheme commencing next week - does anyone have any advice?
Original post by lsekid
Invited to a CC TC Assessment day early next week. Any advice urgently sought, thanks.

PS White & Case vac scheme commencing next week - does anyone have any advice?

Are you taking a day off your vac scheme for the TC AD?
I'm afraid so though haven't asked W&C. Tried to book the evening sessions but as I only found out yesterday they'd been booked. Are you doing both the CC Assessment Day and W&C vac scheme?
Original post by lsekid
I'm afraid so though haven't asked W&C. Tried to book the evening sessions but as I only found out yesterday they'd been booked. Are you doing both the CC Assessment Day and W&C vac scheme?

i'm doing the CC AD and a different vac scheme - trying to figure out how to approach my vac scheme place.
Starting vac scheme at Ropes & Gray tomorrow morning - anyone else?
I'm putting a thanks in this thread also for the advice and knowledge everyone has provided. I had a couple of VS this year but it was an AC that enabled me to gain a TC with TLT. Thank you again and good luck to you all! :smile:
Original post by legal_nyx
I'm putting a thanks in this thread also for the advice and knowledge everyone has provided. I had a couple of VS this year but it was an AC that enabled me to gain a TC with TLT. Thank you again and good luck to you all! :smile:

Congratulations- that's great news!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I just got my first year results

tort law -70%
public law -68%
contract - 57%

averaged 65 -2:1 but my alevel grades are ABC?
(I was 5 marks off a an A for the B grade)

no chance for a VS right?
Original post by xxblue
Hi guys,

tort law -70%
public law -68%
contract - 57%

Any advice please thanks in advance
Original post by J-SP
Strange you have only done 3 modules. Usually there is at least 4.

The combination of your a-levels and contract grade will put off the more "academic" firms. But really depends on the rest of your form. If it is strong elsewhere, you obviously have a chance and probably a reasonable one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

our fourth module was legal methods and skills and we did not get graded just pass or fail.

I was thinking of retaking one of my alevel exams so (hopefully) my grades can go up tooo AAC and I would like to gain work experience aswell (currently I dont have any) for second year and then apply for vacation schemes for my last year?

Do you think thats okay? if not, advice?
Also what type of law firms do you think I should be looking for in terms of my current situation with grades etc.

thanks in advance
Reply 5515
Original post by xxblue
our fourth module was legal methods and skills and we did not get graded just pass or fail.

I was thinking of retaking one of my alevel exams so (hopefully) my grades can go up tooo AAC and I would like to gain work experience aswell (currently I dont have any) for second year and then apply for vacation schemes for my last year?

Do you think thats okay? if not, advice?
Also what type of law firms do you think I should be looking for in terms of my current situation with grades etc.

thanks in advance

Places like Slaughter & May and HSF are very picky about academics as they ask for a 2:1 in all modules. Macfarlanes don't have an A-level requirement so and barring contract your grades are good.

Personally, I would forget about retaking A-Levels as it will show that you have resat and instead focus on making your second year grades as good as they can possibly be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pp93
Places like Slaughter & May and HSF are very picky about academics as they ask for a 2:1 in all modules. Macfarlanes don't have an A-level requirement so and barring contract your grades are good.

Personally, I would forget about retaking A-Levels as it will show that you have resat and instead focus on making your second year grades as good as they can possibly be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not going to apply to law firms like that ( slaughter &May, allen& overy etc) because I have to be realistic lol I was looking at firms like bird&bird, clyde&co, taylor wessing, eversheds etc.. Any others please advise me?

Yes, I would like to hopefully maintain a 2:1.

Do you think I should still apply for a vs?
Original post by xxblue
Hi guys,

tort law -70%
public law -68%
contract - 57%

What university are you at? Your grades are definitely good enough to mount a decent application.

Law firms are widening their recruitment pool, but from my experiences on vac schemes at the very top firms, even places like Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol only seem to get 1/2 people per scheme at best.

Original post by pp93

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's true for HSF. Even places who state that you need 'a consistently strong 2.1' will waive this, if you're able to make up for that flaw in other areas of your application.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5518
Original post by liarpoker
What university are you at? Your grades are definitely good enough to mount a decent application.

Law firms are widening their recruitment pool, but from my experiences on vac schemes at the very top firms, even places like Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol only seem to get 1/2 people per scheme at best.

I don't think that's true for HSF. Even places who state that you need 'a consistently strong 2.1' will waive this, if you're able to make up for that flaw in other areas of your application.

Their grad rec said at a law fair to me that they look for 60+ 'even in your first year' unless there are mitigating circumstances. Whether they have a policy of overlooking grades if the rest of the app is good I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liarpoker

I go to SOAS, UOL. Thank you, do you personally think I should even bother applying to VS. I really do think that my alevel grades will let me down, advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending