The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Watch what current acting students have to say about tips for auditioning and how to choose a speech-
How to perform a great audition

Hope this helps ya'll!

Lydia (BCU)
Original post by Birmingham City University
Watch what current acting students have to say about tips for auditioning and how to choose a speech-
How to perform a great audition

Hope this helps ya'll!

Lydia (BCU)

Always nice to get tips from people who have been there and done it. BCU is one of the schools I'm applying for so thanks for sharing !
Original post by Sam Rivers
Hey everyone! I am looking to apply for drama school this year also. I currently have 8 schools I'll apply for and still researching some others. I don't have much acting experience and I am learning my monologues myself from home, by recording myself and breaking it down to improve. So if your struggling your not alone! I have dance experience as I am a dance teacher but not sure how useful that will be for acting. Excited to finally apply and get the ball rolling though! I'm 26 years old and plan on doing everything I can do show the best of me on audition day, so any help is welcomed !

Good luck to everyone auditioning this year! ✌️

Coming from a non-drama background and also being older is no barrier to success, as the example below indicates:

http://www.lamda.org.uk/sites/default/files/davies_ian_5.pdf
http://www.lamda.org.uk/whats-on/productions-and-showcases/watch-our-2015-films-online/bride-of-blood

I understand he was in Hollywood filming for the new Snow White and the Huntsman film even before graduating.
I'm also going to be auditioning at the end of the year. It'll be my first year of auditioning.

I'm currently in Australia, but will hopefully be moving to London at the end of November, after I graduate from my current course, and will start auditioning then. I have my heart set on RADA, but I will also be auditioning for LAMDA, Guildhall, Central and possibly some others too. It would be cool to have other actors as flat mates, it would make me seem slightly less odd. You'll also believe me when I tell you that "No, I wasn't talking to myself, I was practicing a scene". :biggrin:
Original post by ageshallnot
Coming from a non-drama background and also being older is no barrier to success, as the example below indicates:

http://www.lamda.org.uk/sites/default/files/davies_ian_5.pdf
http://www.lamda.org.uk/whats-on/productions-and-showcases/watch-our-2015-films-online/bride-of-blood

I understand he was in Hollywood filming for the new Snow White and the Huntsman film even before graduating.

Nice little confidence booster! Thanks 😊
Original post by ultraviolet6
I'm also going to be auditioning at the end of the year. It'll be my first year of auditioning.

I'm currently in Australia, but will hopefully be moving to London at the end of November, after I graduate from my current course, and will start auditioning then. I have my heart set on RADA, but I will also be auditioning for LAMDA, Guildhall, Central and possibly some others too. It would be cool to have other actors as flat mates, it would make me seem slightly less odd. You'll also believe me when I tell you that "No, I wasn't talking to myself, I was practicing a scene". :biggrin:

Yes I totally agree! I'll be auditioning for those schools aswell as some others. Good luck !
Original post by Samrivers
Nice little confidence booster! Thanks 😊

You're welcome.

Unlike many of the LAMDA students I haven't seen him on stage, but I liked his performance in the short film.
Got a question for anyone who can help. I'll be applying for drama schools this year and have a question regarding some schools.

Some of the auditions state that a song may need to be performed whereas some others state that you will have to perform two songs.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience regarding song performance in their auditions?

Thanks.
Original post by Thom_Ryan
Got a question for anyone who can help. I'll be applying for drama schools this year and have a question regarding some schools.

Some of the auditions state that a song may need to be performed whereas some others state that you will have to perform two songs.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience regarding song performance in their auditions?

Thanks.

I haven't had to do a song personally, but I've done my research just in case, I'm assuming you're talking about 3 year BA courses? Essentially, they want you to sing a few bars of literally ANYTHING with a tune. It's used to assess your performance skills within the song more than it is singing, although not being tone deaf would help, I'm sure! By performance skills, you don't need a full on dance or anything, but just commit to the moment and be convincing in performing whatever song it you choose. If someone has had a different experience please feel free to correct me!!
Original post by Thom_Ryan

Thanks.

Hey,

If you check out our guidance pack (attached) you'll find more details on the audition process and the song and speeches you would have to perform. This of course will differ for each university- but may give you an idea of what to expect for where you're applying! I know people tend to worry about the song but our tutors say you don't have to be an amazing vocalist- its all about how you perform the song.

Good luck!
Lydia (BCU)
I'm applying for drama schools too! The ones I want to audition for are:

RWCMD
RADA
LAMDA
Guildhall
Birmingham
Central school of speech and drama
Bristol old vic theatre school

I'm also applying for drama at university as a back up plan- Manchester, Exeter, Falmouth, Hull and Lancaster.

I just have a quick question- What do you guys wear for auditions, particularly shoes? I want to wear jazz shoes like this but as they are for dance and not acting I don't want to look like an idiot!
Original post by dauntlesstraitor

I just have a quick question- What do you guys wear for auditions, particularly shoes? I want to wear jazz shoes like this but as they are for dance and not acting I don't want to look like an idiot!

I go for casual stage blacks. For me it's black leggings/pants and a black t-shirt. I think most drama schools prefer you to wear soft-soled shoes in their buildings, I know in my current course we're not allowed to wear any shoes at all. I wear black converse - something flexible and light that doesn't restrict your movement. Maybe if you're going in specifically for an interview you could *jazz* up the footwear?

............I am so horrified that I just made that pun.
Original post by ultraviolet6
I go for casual stage blacks. For me it's black leggings/pants and a black t-shirt. I think most drama schools prefer you to wear soft-soled shoes in their buildings, I know in my current course we're not allowed to wear any shoes at all. I wear black converse - something flexible and light that doesn't restrict your movement. Maybe if you're going in specifically for an interview you could *jazz* up the footwear?

............I am so horrified that I just made that pun.

Thank you! I've got a couple of auditions for thing's I've never done before, so just want to seem as professional as possible :smile:
Original post by dauntlesstraitor

For clothes, last year I wore black leggings and a plain top (not black). My top was dark green. That way you stand out a little more but you're still wearing plain clothes that don't take from the performance. I just wore some plain black shoes for auditions, and wore no shoes and no socks for the workshops :smile:

-- Madalene xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WolfStannon
For clothes, last year I wore black leggings and a plain top (not black). My top was dark green. That way you stand out a little more but you're still wearing plain clothes that don't take from the performance. I just wore some plain black shoes for auditions, and wore no shoes and no socks for the workshops :smile:

-- Madalene xx

Thank you! Love your blog by the way :smile:
The alra north campus is in Wigan, Lancashire. Or so it states on their website. 😊
I'm not sure if the tuition fee loans cover the whole amount for the course, I doubt I could afford to study there if not. Does anyone know for definite?

Do not go to ALRA NORTH. Try and talk to others who did the post graduate course. The place is toxic and more emphasis is place on the undergrads. Plus Wigan is not a good place to be. Expensive and won't get you anywhere.
Original post by XElizzaX
Hi

I am in a similar position to you, it has been a few years since I graduated :smile: Are you just applying to schools in the UK or will you be applying to any of the American schools too?

yeah I have started the search for monologues but haven't really found any monologues I am happy with yet, guess I just need to keep looking.

Alra is a ****ty place in the north. Do you really want to be in Wigan? Why not try the one year course at BADA, based in Regents Park. Check out their Alumni. very impressive.
Original post by cytja_0288
Forgive me for not knowing this, but what does ALRA stand for? And where is that school and Arts Ed?

I would not say that ALRA is a good place to be.
Yes I totally agree! I'll be auditioning for those schools aswell as some others. Good luck !

Wishing you all the best for the future.
If you don't get into RADA, then think about doing some of the summer courses at BADA (taught by famous directors and actors). in Oxford. That way you get to know a lot of people in the industry.

There are some courses that have either lost their accreditation or are run by a bunch of sadistic idiots, and so if you just talk to recent graduates, you'll get an idea of where to avoid.
I have a quick question: are people taking solo acting classes or group acting classes to help with their techniques and monologues? I'm not sure which is easier for me to do, and I would like to get started in the fall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending