The Student Room Group

RE GCSE or Computing GCSE?

What would you pick?
I want to pick RE but my IT teacher thinks I should do it and my parents want me to do Computing because they don't want me to do RE. I enjoy Re more than Computer Science and I think I wouldn't enjoy Computer Science. Before I picked my options, I went to Computer Coding Club which was ran by a third year undergrad studying Computer science. It lasted only for half a term but I enjoyed learn basic Python. After, my IT teacher taught Python in my IT lessons to introduce my peers to Computing GCSE but she couldn't teach it.She was rubbish at explaining it. Every lesson me and my other friend who went to the club had to constantly help our classmates because we had already finish the work and the extension task. There is another Computing teacher but he is from Teach First and is starting next year. I'm not sure I want to be taught by someone who has hardly any experience teaching :/

RE is a subject I've always enjoyed. The content is interesting to me and I love to debate in class .My RE teacher is great, she is funny and is able to explain everything clearly. Majority of my class have picked RE because she has taught us so well. I have a high level in RE(7b if you wanted to know) but I have a higher level in IT(7a). I would choose Computing based on the high level but my teacher gave everyone high levels to pursuade them to choose IT or Computer Science. For example, my classmate said herself that she couldn't code to save her life but she got a 7a .

So what do you think? Should I stick with RE or should I just shut up and do Computing?

(My other options are History, Spanish and Product Design. I hope to get all A*s/A's)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by -,-
What would you pick?
I want to pick RE but my IT teacher thinks I should do it and my parents want me to do Computing because they don't want me to do RE. I enjoy Re more than Computer Science and I think I wouldn't enjoy Computer Science. Before I picked my options, I went to Computer Coding Club which was ran by a third year undergrad studying Computer science. It lasted only for half a term but I enjoyed learn basic Python. After, my IT teacher taught Python in my IT lessons to introduce my peers to Computing GCSE but she couldn't teach it.She was rubbish at explaining it. Every lesson me and my other friend who went to the club had to constantly help our classmates because we had already finish the work and the extension task. There is another Computing teacher but he is from Teach First and is starting next year. I'm not sure I want to be taught by someone who has hardly any experience teaching :/

RE is a subject I've always enjoyed. The content is interesting to me and I love to debate in class .My RE teacher is great, she is funny and is able to explain everything clearly. Majority of my class have picked RE because she has taught us so well. I have a high level in RE(7b if you wanted to know) but I have a higher level in IT(7a). I would choose Computing based on the high level but my teacher gave everyone high levels to pursuade them to choose IT or Computer Science. For example, my classmate said herself that she couldn't code to save her life but she got a 7a .

So what do you think? Should I stick with RE or should I just shut up and do Computing?

(My other options are History, Spanish and Product Design. I hope to get all A*s/A's)

Hhhmm,
personally I would do Computing because I like that kind of thing. But if you think that you want to do RE, then do RE.
I think you should do RE because you seem more confident and happier in doing that subject.
Although I have found that after doing it, I actually know what to look for when buying electronics etc
Also know the difference between IT and Computing, they are different.
Some people who have CompSci degrees haven't necessarily done it previously beforehand so even if you wanted to pursue that idea, you still could.

I hope this helps x
Reply 2
It sounds like you would enjoy RE much more than computing. I was in a similar position. Should I do Computer Science or German? Honestly, I was way more interested in German than in Computer Science. I think you should definitely go with the one you most enjoy so RE because you need to be somewhat interested in it for you to excel in it. If you have little interest in a subject, you won't try your hardest and probably won't revise too much. RE sounds like the better option for you.
Also, don't let your 7b and 7a change your view on which one to take, there's very little difference in one sub-level.
I am currently doing RE and it's quite enjoyable. It's mandatory for me but it's fun and quite easy. I do German, French, History, Geography, RE and Triple Science. RE really helps me relax in my busy school week. Yet again, it's calm, easy and fun to do. The work load isn't that big and most of it is your opinions and other people's opinions which can easily be made up/remembered.
I went into doing RE with a 7a. At the end of this year (year 10), I've got 100% (A*s) on all my tests.
I'd say RE would be better as it's somewhat relaxing. :u: However, if you feel that Computing is better for you and your future, go for it!
Just do what you prefer and what you want to do and don't let anyone choose for you because at the end of the day, you have to study the subject for 2 years. Good luck and all the best. :bl:
Reply 3
DO NOT DO COMPUTER SCIENCE, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Made my life a living hell for 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aamirac
Hhhmm,
personally I would do Computing because I like that kind of thing. But if you think that you want to do RE, then do RE.
I think you should do RE because you seem more confident and happier in doing that subject.
Although I have found that after doing it, I actually know what to look for when buying electronics etc
Also know the difference between IT and Computing, they are different.
Some people who have CompSci degrees haven't necessarily done it previously beforehand so even if you wanted to pursue that idea, you still could.

I hope this helps x

Thanks for your reply :smile: . I think I might choose RE but I just hope I don't regret choosing the 'easy' subject.
Original post by Edosawr
It sounds like you would enjoy RE much more than computing. I was in a similar position. Should I do Computer Science or German? Honestly, I was way more interested in German than in Computer Science. I think you should definitely go with the one you most enjoy so RE because you need to be somewhat interested in it for you to excel in it. If you have little interest in a subject, you won't try your hardest and probably won't revise too much. RE sounds like the better option for you.
Also, don't let your 7b and 7a change your view on which one to take, there's very little difference in one sub-level.
I am currently doing RE and it's quite enjoyable. It's mandatory for me but it's fun and quite easy. I do German, French, History, Geography, RE and Triple Science. RE really helps me relax in my busy school week. Yet again, it's calm, easy and fun to do. The work load isn't that big and most of it is your opinions and other people's opinions which can easily be made up/remembered.
I went into doing RE with a 7a. At the end of this year (year 10), I've got 100% (A*s) on all my tests.
I'd say RE would be better as it's somewhat relaxing. :u: However, if you feel that Computing is better for you and your future, go for it!
Just do what you prefer and what you want to do and don't let anyone choose for you because at the end of the day, you have to study the subject for 2 years. Good luck and all the best. :bl:

German sounds so cool! Too bad my school only offers Spanish. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Original post by BoomCha!
DO NOT DO COMPUTER SCIENCE, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Made my life a living hell for 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah is it that bad? Could you explain why you hated it so much?
Do RE.. at the end of the day the one you'll do best in is that matters tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by -,-
Woah is it that bad? Could you explain why you hated it so much?

Well it was probably our teacher who made it bad. He never taught us how to code properly so when it came to the 25 hour controlled assessments we were clueless. Most of us ended up with E and F.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I would do RE if you really don't like IT. Don't pick a subject you don't like unless it is going to be important for future studies/career , and if you are not intending on taking IT further then there's no point. Most employers do like you to have basic IT skills and I think you can show that by putting your Computing Club thing down on your CV.
Original post by -,-
What would you pick?

Don't do RE if you can avoid it. I can't think of anything worse than having to have the reasons why Muslims choose to recycle explained to me (again).

Computing is infinitesimally more useful, applicable, interesting and respected.
Original post by -,-
Thanks for your reply :smile: . I think I might choose RE but I just hope I don't regret choosing the 'easy' subject.

Just think of it as another A* you will get. :wink:
RE for sure! (Bias :wink:)
I would pick RE, it's the most easiest GCSE there is. You don't even have to revise anything to get an A/A* because most of it is just common sense :lol:
Neither are worth the paper they are written on but Id guess IT would be if more use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
RE for sure! (Bias :wink:)

yay! the answer I want to hear :smile:
I'd say RE because it's another easy A* :tongue:

If you're interested in Computing/Computer Science then just do A-Level. You don't need GCSE to do it. I have no IT qualifications at GCSE and do A-Level Computer Science...
At GCSE i did RE(philosophy and ethics specifically) because it was compulsory for us and i enjoyed it because you get to debate, improve your analytical skills and research skills however, it does not seem like a respected subject.

We got to debate about:
Euthanasia-voluntary or involuntary
Abortion-is it right to kill? when does life begin?
Civil partnership-is this right?
The world and the big bang?
Capital punishment-should we bring it back?
Morality-?moral and natural evil.

Edit: Just a list of topics we covered and tbh, you should pick what you like more not because "your parents want you to do xyz", you will be stuck with the subjects you pick for like 2 years, so choose wisely.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Without hesitation, RE!
I personally didn't do Computing, but I heard it's quite hard and you have to do a bit of work, especially as you actually have to learn to code :O

It's a lot easier to regurgitate from the textbook in RE than in other subjects, because the way you answer the questions is very structured, also there's no coursework like there is in Computing, so you could save yourself from extra work :P

Unless you want to do Computing later on (which you expressed you don't), employers don't care about anything else other than English and Maths GCSE's, so RE is on the same level as Computing at GCSE, but it takes a lot less effort to get the A* in RS, like I did, and also you enjoy it more anymore so it's a no brainer.

Pick RS.
(edited 8 years ago)
And RE is fairly straight forward unlike other subjects because you are allowed to give your point of view as long as you back it up with something genuine and get marks for that.

I don't know much about computing so can't comment on that.

Quick Reply

Latest