The Student Room Group

Design Egineering - Masters or back to undergrad

Hi all,

I'm in a position were by I cruiser through school & Uni with no direction and no idea about what I wanted to do afterwards.

Ive come out the other side with a 2:1 in Design Engineering from a mid tier uni with a top 10 Engineering department

I've now suddenly found a burning ambition to achieve my potential.. a little too late in the day some would say.

The routes I want to take at this point are:
Get on a grad scheme with one of the big oil and gas company
Get into a good management consultancy

At the moment I've got 6 months work experience at a small engineering consultancy and six weeks at Atkins

The options I am considering are:
1. Msc in Chemical Engineering - UCL, Heriot Watts or Manchester

2. Get my get my A levels up to AAA or AAB and see if i can get accepted onto second year undergrad Chem Eng at any of those schools.

3. Msc in Petroleum Eng at Heriot Watts or Manchester
(or Subsea at Aberdeen)

4. Start applying for jobs again and forget further study

My concerns are that:

1. My degree is never going to get me to the top of either field, I'm always going to feel disappointing about it and I will regret not doing another.
And that even with a masters my degree still wont be taken seriously enough to get me onto the best schemes.

2. The cost of doing a masters is just about manageable, but to do two years would put me in some debt

3. If I did go back and do another 2 years undergrad would employers look down upon this in comparison to people who achieved it first time round? Would they know?

4. Would Universities even let me go back and do another 2 years at undergrad?

5. If i do Pet Eng will I be pigeon holed in this industry?

Ideas from people in similar situations, or people further down the line from me, especially in oil and gas, would be greatly appreciated
Original post by Options
Hi all,

I'm in a position were by I cruiser through school & Uni with no direction and no idea about what I wanted to do afterwards.

Ive come out the other side with a 2:1 in Design Engineering from a mid tier uni with a top 10 Engineering department

I've now suddenly found a burning ambition to achieve my potential.. a little too late in the day some would say.

The routes I want to take at this point are:
Get on a grad scheme with one of the big oil and gas company
Get into a good management consultancy

At the moment I've got 6 months work experience at a small engineering consultancy and six weeks at Atkins

The options I am considering are:
1. Msc in Chemical Engineering - UCL, Heriot Watts or Manchester

2. Get my get my A levels up to AAA or AAB and see if i can get accepted onto second year undergrad Chem Eng at any of those schools.

3. Msc in Petroleum Eng at Heriot Watts or Manchester
(or Subsea at Aberdeen)

4. Start applying for jobs again and forget further study

My concerns are that:

1. My degree is never going to get me to the top of either field, I'm always going to feel disappointing about it and I will regret not doing another.
And that even with a masters my degree still wont be taken seriously enough to get me onto the best schemes.

2. The cost of doing a masters is just about manageable, but to do two years would put me in some debt

3. If I did go back and do another 2 years undergrad would employers look down upon this in comparison to people who achieved it first time round? Would they know?

4. Would Universities even let me go back and do another 2 years at undergrad?

5. If i do Pet Eng will I be pigeon holed in this industry?

Ideas from people in similar situations, or people further down the line from me, especially in oil and gas, would be greatly appreciated

I'm in oil & gas, and I wouldn't count on getting into it at the moment, unfortunately.

Why does "achieving your potential" necessitate either working for a big oil & gas company or a management consultancy?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I'm in oil & gas, and I wouldn't count on getting into it at the moment, unfortunately.

Why does "achieving your potential" necessitate either working for a big oil & gas company or a management consultancy?

Why not oil & gas?
Original post by jLou711
Why not oil & gas?

Are you aware of what's happening in the industry at the moment?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack

Achieving my potential is more broad is suppose, I just have a desire to work hard and achieve, I've never really had any drive as I didn't know where I was going. I have researched hard and experienced some work and these are just two areas that I am interested in. The benefits in both are very attractive. Why did you get into oil?

Maybe you're right about the oil climate, who knows where it will be in a year or two..
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Are you aware of what's happening in the industry at the moment?

Nope, enlighten me?

as I was considering going into oil & gas.

Whats it like?
Reply 6
No one is hiring at the moment, but the nature of the industry is that it has boom and bust cycles. Its is likely that in another 2 years it will be heading towards a peak again.
Original post by Options
Achieving my potential is more broad is suppose, I just have a desire to work hard and achieve, I've never really had any drive as I didn't know where I was going. I have researched hard and experienced some work and these are just two areas that I am interested in.

I think you can do that in almost any industry (but oil does generally pay the best).

Why did you get into oil?

I lived and studied in Aberdeen and virtually every engineering job here is in the industry. I was also quite interested in it too - just the scale of things, I suppose, and the variety of positions involved .

Maybe you're right about the oil climate, who knows where it will be in a year or two..

Probably quite similar to where it's at at the moment. The global economy at the moment simply isn't strong enough to sustain high oil prices - the level needed for new projects to go ahead.
Original post by jLou711
Nope, enlighten me?

Low oil price, oil companies reigning back spending, lack of recruitment and new projects.

Whats it like?

Like any other job I'd imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest