The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by politicalmind
Is it a good idea to apply to a college where there are more people studying your subject or do your choices not entirely matter as I've heard people getting offers from somewhere they didn't even apply to

The numbers usually don't vary that much from college to college, so it's not usually a big factor in choosing a college.

You can get an offer from a college you don't apply to, through re-allocation, pooling or the open offer system. The best thing to do is pick a college you would be happy at, but remain open minded about the positives of other colleges as well :smile:
I'm rather confused. For the History and French/modern languages course, it is necessary to sit both the HAT and the MLAT. But they are both at 9:00 on the 4th of November ! How does it work out? Somebody help pls :smile:
Original post by Mairickme
I'm rather confused. For the History and French/modern languages course, it is necessary to sit both the HAT and the MLAT. But they are both at 9:00 on the 4th of November ! How does it work out? Somebody help pls :smile:

It is necessary to sit both, you will sit them one after the other without a gap. I would expect the HAT first and then the MLAT.
Is it a good idea to apply to a college where there are more people studying your subject or do your choices not entirely matter as I've heard people getting offers from somewhere they didn't even apply to

Part of the reason why I applied to my college is because it was one of the larger ones for my course (taking about 5 people per year). I didn't really want to be at a college that usually only takes one or two.
(Obviously this was just a preference, and I could have been reallocated to another college).
Original post by pak1994
Part of the reason why I applied to my college is because it was one of the larger ones for my course (taking about 5 people per year). I didn't really want to be at a college that usually only takes one or two.
(Obviously this was just a preference, and I could have been reallocated to another college).

ah ok - have you got an offer?
Daft question but would it feel lonely to be one of only about three people studying a particular subject at a college?
Original post by enaayrah
Daft question but would it feel lonely to be one of only about three people studying a particular subject at a college?

Depends on your personality I guess. Depending on your subject there will be people studying similar degrees, eg. there's 3 Biochemists at Univ, but then there's 9 chemists. There's also a person who is the only person in the year studying their degree, and only one of two in the whole year over the university - and she's fine :P
Original post by Lucilou101
Depends on your personality I guess. Depending on your subject there will be people studying similar degrees, eg. there's 3 Biochemists at Univ, but then there's 9 chemists. There's also a person who is the only person in the year studying their degree, and only one of two in the whole year over the university - and she's fine :P

Yeah, personality definitely plays a role. I can talk to people easily I guess so I can make friends across all subjects. It's just things like subject-subject comfort :tongue:

Thanks for the help :colondollar:

as Lucilou said, sometimes there is overlap- HisPol only has ~50 students across all colleges, and nobody has more than 2-3- but the HisPol people overlap with both Historians & PPEists, which are plentiful in pretty much all colleges.
Original post by DCDude
as Lucilou said, sometimes there is overlap- HisPol only has ~50 students across all colleges, and nobody has more than 2-3- but the HisPol people overlap with both Historians & PPEists, which are plentiful in pretty much all colleges.

Yeah, that makes sense :smile:
Which college are you at?
Original post by Lucilou101

Trying to work out which subject this is for! I recall Classics&English having limited places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
Trying to work out which subject this is for! I recall Classics&English having limited places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's Egyptology :smile:

It is worth pointing out that you would be one of either 9 or 12 students if the degree lasts 3 or 4 years. A year group of 3 is slightly unusual - colleges typically set quota in multiples of 2 because many subjects have paired tutorials. Our Fine Art quota is now 3 but since the teaching for this degree is organised by the Ruskin School, it is not an issue. As a college we are moving away from single student intakes by increasing Fine Art to 3 and ceasing to admit for Music - this is in line with the Humanities Division's preference to locate the smaller subjects in fewer colleges. Students taking joint subjects though (eg History Politics, or History Economics, or Ancient & Modern History) are fine since they interact with the wider group of History/Economics/Politics students. Occasionally undergraduates also transfer into programmes such as Theology or Oriental Studies while on course and again they seem to be fine - but they usually continue to take some options with the Philosophy or Modern Language students & so are not completely stand alone. We hope these comments are helpful.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
It is worth pointing out that you would be one of either 9 or 12 students if the degree lasts 3 or 4 years. A year group of 3 is slightly unusual - colleges typically set quota in multiples of 2 because many subjects have paired tutorials. Our Fine Art quota is now 3 but since the teaching for this degree is organised by the Ruskin School, it is not an issue. As a college we are moving away from single student intakes by increasing Fine Art to 3 and ceasing to admit for Music - this is in line with the Humanities Division's preference to locate the smaller subjects in fewer colleges. Students taking joint subjects though (eg History Politics, or History Economics, or Ancient & Modern History) are fine since they interact with the wider group of History/Economics/Politics students. Occasionally undergraduates also transfer into programmes such as Theology or Oriental Studies while on course and again they seem to be fine - but they usually continue to take some options with the Philosophy or Modern Language students & so are not completely stand alone. We hope these comments are helpful.

Yes, it's much more clear now. Thank you for your help :smile:
ah ok - have you got an offer?

I'm now going into my third (and final! :eek: ) year
I'm still waiting for my AS results, and hopefully with all As Ill apply to Oxford, but even with 7 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, I got a C in art, and all the statistics and everything basically says I dont stand a chance.:sad::sad: Is there anyone who goes Oxford or who knows a bit more?? Thanks guys xx
Original post by nichole199810
I'm still waiting for my AS results, and hopefully with all As Ill apply to Oxford, but even with 7 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, I got a C in art, and all the statistics and everything basically says I dont stand a chance.:sad::sad: Is there anyone who goes Oxford or who knows a bit more?? Thanks guys xx

Good luck for results day.

Last year, applicants to Brasenose who received offers included 6 candidates with 1C at GCSE, two with 2Cs, and two with 2Ds.

Your chances depend on your application as a whole and how you perform if you take admissions tests and are invited to interview.

Last year, applicants to Brasenose who received offers included 6 candidates with 1C at GCSE, two with 2Cs, and two with 2Ds.

Your chances depend on your application as a whole and how you perform if you take admissions tests and are invited to interview.

Really?? Thanks!!! I think there's often the perception that grades are 100% everything. Haha I'm applying for modern languages. So hopefully all goes well. Thanks again xx
Original post by nichole199810
Really?? Thanks!!! I think there's often the perception that grades are 100% everything. Haha I'm applying for modern languages. So hopefully all goes well. Thanks again xx

We agree that there is a lot of grade anxiety about and some prospective applicants hold back owing to the false perception that only perfection will do.

Keep working on your Languages - the selectors put quite a lot of emphasis on grammar so make that as good as you can.

It's always really interesting and reassuring when you give out those kind of stats. Have you got similar for
AS results?

Latest

Trending

Trending