The Student Room Group

Is an IT career as glamorous as it sounds?

I loved IT since I first used a computer. I was approximately 5-6 years old when I used Windows 95. I couldn't believe it! There was a GUI, no terminal like there was on older versions of Windows. I knew from an early age that I wanted a part of this. I wanted to spend all my spare time working with technology and so I taught myself how to use the basics: command line, word, excel, the internet (dial-up).

Fast forward 20 years and i'm wondering. Is it still the career for me? Should I get into teaching it for the next generation rather than actually doing the technical side of things?

IT is subjective but based on my experience, you get the following kinds of people:

1) People who LOVE IT and enjoy technology
2) People who chase a big pay-packet
3) Non-techies who want manager roles (which also happen to be well paid)

I consider myself "1" in this scenario. The problem is, middle and upper management tend to fall into "3" and the "2" people tend to be your colleagues. Obviously this will differ in different roles in different companies, but in most of my jobs and side-jobs, this is a trend I have seen.

So, is IT as glamorous as it seems? Is IT something YOU want to do for your career?

I just thought i'd post this to get people really thinking about their career, not just how good IT is. Can you do this forever? Will you get bored? Do you want to speak to customers and produce reports and spreadsheets rather than delve into technical detail like you did when it was a hobby?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's remotely "glamorous" about buggering about with a computer?
Or, indeed, working as some wage slave for someone else for that matter...
Is IT glamorous? News to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
ROFLMAO.
Do you feel glamorous sitting in front of the computer right now? If so, then yes, IT is a glamorous career for you.

Otherwise, no, you don't get to sit in a VIP room or walk down a red carpet.
Never thought of IT as glamorous at all. I just imagine nerds tapping away at their computers.
Reply 6
Original post by JC.
What's remotely "glamorous" about buggering about with a computer?
Or, indeed, working as some wage slave for someone else for that matter...

Well, if you work in web design, your work is being seen/used by thousands of people and some people get enormous job satisfaction from this. Or if you work in security - knowing that you're protecting people from hackers trying to steal their money via digital attack mitigation(s) also gives a sense of pride and job satisfaction.

As for being glamorous - it could be seen as a cushy job. If you know what you're doing and you aren't "getting your hands dirty" as such.
Reply 7
most IT jobs are pretty standard and boring but a few enable you to travel a lot which is good if you like to be active.
Reply 8
Original post by sdotd
most IT jobs are pretty standard and boring but a few enable you to travel a lot which is good if you like to be active.

Yep - I can agree with this. Security consultants get to travel a fair bit. A friend of mine regularly visits the US on business trips due to his job role being part of a global team. I'd say that's pretty glamorous.
Reply 9
Original post by smc2010
Well, if you work in web design, your work is being seen/used by thousands of people and some people get enormous job satisfaction from this. Or if you work in security - knowing that you're protecting people from hackers trying to steal their money via digital attack mitigation(s) also gives a sense of pride and job satisfaction.

As for being glamorous - it could be seen as a cushy job. If you know what you're doing and you aren't "getting your hands dirty" as such.

If you think thats glamorous then sure, its glamorous.

But most people don't find patch tuesday sexy...
Reply 10
Original post by smc2010
Yep - I can agree with this. Security consultants get to travel a fair bit. A friend of mine regularly visits the US on business trips due to his job role being part of a global team. I'd say that's pretty glamorous.

You've never been on a business trip have you?
It can be very rewarding work depending on what you are doing, who you work for(big company or self employed can be very good) and the difficulty of the job. The beautiful thing about IT is that it is ever evolving and expanding.
Reply 12
I'm more into the programming side, yeah there'll be times where it's boring. However I think it's worth it - the odds are it won't be particularly luxurious or lucrative but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by smc2010

A 5 year old can design a web page these days. There's nothing remotely glamorous about tapping code into a computer. These people aren't crime fighters. They are just wage slaves wearing the same cheap suits as the photocopier paper salesmen and driving the same crap company cars and go home to the same crap semi on a crap new housing estate.
Reply 14
Original post by JC.
A 5 year old can design a web page these days. There's nothing remotely glamorous about tapping code into a computer. These people aren't crime fighters. They are just wage slaves wearing the same cheap suits as the photocopier paper salesmen and driving the same crap company cars and go home to the same crap semi on a crap new housing estate.

some people working in IT security are crime fighters
Reply 15
Original post by sdotd
some people working in IT security are crime fighters

Just a bellend behind a desk working as someone elses wage slave to me...
Reply 16
Original post by JC.

ummm people at GCHQ?
Original post by JC.

If only you know :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC.

I admit you are mildly amusing and your posts are putting me off IT as there's an element of truth to what you're saying. What isit that you do? That is the real question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Killa Kam
I admit you are mildly amusing and your posts are putting me off IT as there's an element of truth to what you're saying. What isit that you do? That is the real question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the weather... when it's not very nice outside I restore musical instruments. When the weather is reasonable I restore classic cars. When the weather is really nice I don't do anything, :tongue:

In truth it doesn't really feel like I have a "job" in the traditional sense of the word as I'm essentially being paid to play with toys.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending