The Student Room Group

2016 AS/A2 exams

Can I take an AS exam in Sociology 2016? Like are those exams available for resitters or something maybe? I'd have to teach myself but I'm pretty used to A Levels so it'd be fine and maybe learn the A2 course at college.

I'm trying to do an A Level within a year as a 3rd year student (as I'm going to Uni in 2016) but I've found out that AS has stopped being tought at colleges this year and even AS exams aren't available next year? This has left me with no opportunity to do AS or an A Level within a year in 2015/16. I didnt apply to university because I wanted to return to college for a 3rd year and now that looks completely impossible as the courses I want to do aren't available for 2015/16 3rd year students.

Help!! I have no other options and wanted to make the most out of this year

Scroll to see replies

I've been posting about this on another sociology thread here after emailing aqa. Keep calm :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ell44
Can I take an AS exam in Sociology 2016? Like are those exams available for resitters or something maybe? I'd have to teach myself but I'm pretty used to A Levels so it'd be fine and maybe learn the A2 course at college.

I'm trying to do an A Level within a year as a 3rd year student (as I'm going to Uni in 2016) but I've found out that AS has stopped being tought at colleges this year and even AS exams aren't available next year? This has left me with no opportunity to do AS or an A Level within a year in 2015/16. I didnt apply to university because I wanted to return to college for a 3rd year and now that looks completely impossible as the courses I want to do aren't available for 2015/16 3rd year students.

Huh what the hell do you mean by 'AS has stopped being tought. Where have you got this from?
Original post by ell44

AS hasn't stopped being taught, the exams are being taken at the end of the two years. That's all.
But I'm not sure how the systems working though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Bloom77
AS hasn't stopped being taught, the exams are being taken at the end of the two years. That's all.
But I'm not sure how the systems working though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really

So all exams in A2 now? Is this just for Sociology?
AS and A2 exams are at the end of year 13.
The government has decided that all exams will be taken at the end.
This is for all subjects I think.
I'm not sure about maths though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bloom77
AS and A2 exams are at the end of year 13.
The government has decided that all exams will be taken at the end.
This is for all subjects I think.
I'm not sure about maths though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really since when?

They have done this so people can't resit exams in the 2nd year. Wow the tories really hate resits don't they LOL

Are you sure about this because i just checked the Aqa Spec and it said AS exams May and June, at the end of the first year.
Original post by xxvine
Really since when?

They have done this so people can't resit exams in the 2nd year. Wow the tories really hate resits don't they LOL

Are you sure about this because i just checked the Aqa Spec and it said AS exams May and June, at the end of the first year.

It's either starting next academic year or the year after.
I've already taken my AS exams so this hasn't affected me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think some of the replies on this thread are getting confused and linking what is ultimately a change in the aqa a level sociology syllabus with something else. I'm going to copy and paste an email discourse I had with aqa about this to clear things up (for context, I am hoping to take the qualification as a self taught candidate).
Reply 9
Original post by ell44

In 2016 Sociology AS exams will be available on both the old and the new specs. A2 exams will be available on the old specs. So, if you want a full A level you will have t take the old spec, if you jst want an AS you could take the new spec. I don' tknow how much the content has changed between old and new specs for Sociology (it's barely at all for Sciences) but, if your college will let you stay n for a third year, it should be possible to attend the new spec AS lesson and the old spec A2 lessons and then take all the old spec exams at the end of the year.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1748570&page=55

Ok so this is a link to the thread where I copy and pasted the Q and A email conversation that I had with aqa about the change in A level sociology syllabus. Hope this helps.

I'm still weighing up whether to aim to do the whole A level on the old syllabus this summer or to do just the AS on the new syllabus to widen any potential retake opportunities. I'm leaning towards wanting to do the whole A level this summer on the old syllabus though because I can't guarantee that I won't be busy with something else by summer 17 (I'm 27 and wanting to take an A level in sociology because I want to rather than have to).
Totally this!

I've looked at the new syllabus and it's pretty much the same content but structured very differently in terms of the exam. That's literally all it is. My point being you'd be learning the same material no matter what syllabus you go with.

Original post by Compost
In 2016 Sociology AS exams will be available on both the old and the new specs. A2 exams will be available on the old specs. So, if you want a full A level you will have t take the old spec, if you jst want an AS you could take the new spec. I don' tknow how much the content has changed between old and new specs for Sociology (it's barely at all for Sciences) but, if your college will let you stay n for a third year, it should be possible to attend the new spec AS lesson and the old spec A2 lessons and then take all the old spec exams at the end of the year.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost

My mate wants to retake as a private candidate

You know how they will be two different AS exams....on the old and new spec...would they have different unit codes? He wants to make sure he gets the right one otherwise and wants to take the old spec
Original post by xxvine
You know how they will be two different AS exams....on the old and new spec...would they have different unit codes?

Yes, they will have different unit codes. he just needs to specify the codes he has already taken.
When I write to the centre I choose to go with (I'm currently shopping around for the best price/location) I'll mention the code as well and stating that it's the old syllabus.

Probably a bit paranoid of me but even if I sit in front of the exam on the day I won't be hassled because the content being asked about is going to be the same, it's just a case of needing to be on the old syllabus to be able to take the AS and A2 in summer 2016.

Wish January exams still existed like back when I first did A levels. That would be so darn sweet in a situation such as this. Hey ho! I'm currently reading up on the AS units before taking on the A2 information in my mind bank lol :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
When I write to the centre I choose to go with (I'm currently shopping around for the best price/location) I'll mention the code as well and stating that it's the old syllabus.

Probably a bit paranoid of me but even if I sit in front of the exam on the day I won't be hassled because the content being asked about is going to be the same, it's just a case of needing to be on the old syllabus to be able to take the AS and A2 in summer 2016.

Wish January exams still existed like back when I first did A levels. That would be so darn sweet in a situation such as this. Hey ho! I'm currently reading up on the AS units before taking on the A2 information in my mind bank lol :smile:

Yup just have to mention the code and exam board. So you will write AQA SCLY1. That is all.

SCLY1 SCLY2 SCYL3 SCYL4

Those are all 4 unit codes for the old syllabus. Beware there are different topics though....like for Unit 2 you can either learn 'Education' or 'Media'. If i were you I will do Education because its easier and also more people do that topic so you can get help on here
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought unit two was a choice between education and health and media was an option for unit three on the old syllabus.

My plan is:

Unit one: family
Unit two: education
Unit three: beliefs
Unit four: crime and deviance

Have yet to read up much on beliefs because I think that's the hardest. Have purchased the four red Collins books that cover each of these units.

Thanks for the codes that helps a lot :smile:

Original post by xxvine
Yup just have to mention the code and exam board. So you will write AQA SCLY1. That is all.

SCLY1 SCLY2 SCYL3 SCYL4

Those are all 4 unit codes for the old syllabus. Beware there are different topics though....like for Unit 2 you can either learn 'Education' or 'Media'. If i were you I will do Education because its easier and also more people do that topic so you can get help on here
Reply 17
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I thought unit two was a choice between education and health and media was an option for unit three on the old syllabus.

My plan is:

Unit one: family
Unit two: education
Unit three: beliefs
Unit four: crime and deviance

Have yet to read up much on beliefs because I think that's the hardest. Have purchased the four red Collins books that cover each of these units.

Thanks for the codes that helps a lot :smile:

You hoping for an A?

Get this revision guide
Everybody i know learnt from it and got A's. Its written by the examiners who write the exam and also has model answers and how you should tackle the essay QU. Its importantly to know how to set out a 24 marker.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xxvine

SCLY1 SCLY2 SCYL3 SCYL4

These codes are correct for AQA but not for, say, OCR's Sociology spec. I don't think the poster mentioned which exam board they were studying with.
Thanks for this :smile: I'd be a bit sad if I got less than a B to be honest (bearing in mind I'd like to be able to teach sociology in FE. Any less than a B therefore would be a bit bla for me!)

That book sounds good :smile: thank you :smile:

Omg just read the reviews! Crikey! No pressure then lol!

Original post by xxvine
You hoping for an A?

Get this revision guide
Everybody i know learnt from it and got A's. Its written by the examiners who write the exam and also has model answers and how you should tackle the essay QU. Its importantly to know how to set out a 24 marker.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending