The Student Room Group

Sikh and Hindu Interfaith relationships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gt46d
So can we celebrate Hindu festivals at all or should they all be banned as we are Sikh?

Did I say that? No.

You need to read what's been written before replying.
Reply 81
Original post by kaykayM
Did I say that? No.

You need to read what's been written before replying.

So are you saying Sikhs should celebrate Hindu festivals aswell? does that not go against Sikhism? In which case you are contradicting yourself.

Maybe you should just say what exactly you mean instead of talking in these riddles..

Do you believe Sikhs should celebrate other religions festivals as long as they don't forget to celebrate their own festivals first? Sorry if I am asking again as I am a bit confused with what you are getting at.

Or never mind. I think I get what you mean.
(edited 8 years ago)
Okaaay I don't really use this thing, just randomly got an email after ages so came on it.

INTERFAITH MARRIAGES IN SIKHISM:

1. I don't think there's any such thing as inter-faith marriage; it's more outer-faith. Why, you ask? Because the children, if taught about both religions will not grow up Sikh or Hindu, they'll grow up confused. And if you choose one, it's not interfaith, it's one person marrying into another religion.

2. The ceremony: The Sikh marriage ceremony (read: Anand Karaj) can only be for two Sikhs. Carrying out and Anand Karaj for couple of which either is non-Sikh is a mockery of the ceremony and kinda means nothing as the whole point of the ceremony is making a commitment with YOUR GURU.

3. Sikhs marrying non-Sikhs: the Sikh code of discipline says to only give your daughter's hand to a Sikh (for obvious reasons, i.e. children will not be brought up as Sikhs and ultimately, to allow the Sikh girl to continue to practise her religion). But most practising Sikhs wouldn't really get their sons married out of the religion either for the same reasons.
Also, it is not advised for someone to change their religion purely for marriage (although I guess it is allowed) especially if it is a "love" marriage (i.e. foundations are based on lust) unless being with a Sikh has inspired the partner to follow Sikhism - don't think I need to explain why?

HOWEVER

We all know that people involved in "interfaith" marriages aren't really bothered about religion, otherwise they'd have respect for their Guru enough to know not to undermine the importance of the Anand Karaj ceremony - most people do it for the tradition, for the pictures and because oh what will the relatives say. So why force such values on someone that hasn't been following all their lives anyway?

The solution: they can still get married. Just get a registered marriage not an Anand Karaj. There's no reason why this should be a problem for them to be honest,

If you wanna know more, you can check YouTube channels on Sikhism, like BasicsofSikhi (www.youtube.com/basicsofsikhi)

Apologies if you were looking for a simpler explanation, there kind of isn't one.
Reply 83
Original post by crazyoctopus
Okaaay I don't really use this thing, just randomly got an email after ages so came on it.

INTERFAITH MARRIAGES IN SIKHISM:

1. I don't think there's any such thing as inter-faith marriage; it's more outer-faith. Why, you ask? Because the children, if taught about both religions will not grow up Sikh or Hindu, they'll grow up confused. And if you choose one, it's not interfaith, it's one person marrying into another religion.

2. The ceremony: The Sikh marriage ceremony (read: Anand Karaj) can only be for two Sikhs. Carrying out and Anand Karaj for couple of which either is non-Sikh is a mockery of the ceremony and kinda means nothing as the whole point of the ceremony is making a commitment with YOUR GURU.

3. Sikhs marrying non-Sikhs: the Sikh code of discipline says to only give your daughter's hand to a Sikh (for obvious reasons, i.e. children will not be brought up as Sikhs and ultimately, to allow the Sikh girl to continue to practise her religion). But most practising Sikhs wouldn't really get their sons married out of the religion either for the same reasons.
Also, it is not advised for someone to change their religion purely for marriage (although I guess it is allowed) especially if it is a "love" marriage (i.e. foundations are based on lust) unless being with a Sikh has inspired the partner to follow Sikhism - don't think I need to explain why?

HOWEVER

We all know that people involved in "interfaith" marriages aren't really bothered about religion, otherwise they'd have respect for their Guru enough to know not to undermine the importance of the Anand Karaj ceremony - most people do it for the tradition, for the pictures and because oh what will the relatives say. So why force such values on someone that hasn't been following all their lives anyway?

The solution: they can still get married. Just get a registered marriage not an Anand Karaj. There's no reason why this should be a problem for them to be honest,

If you wanna know more, you can check YouTube channels on Sikhism, like BasicsofSikhi (www.youtube.com/basicsofsikhi)

Apologies if you were looking for a simpler explanation, there kind of isn't one.

Thanks for link to the videos.
Reply 84
Original post by gt46d
So are you saying Sikhs should celebrate Hindu festivals aswell? does that not go against Sikhism? In which case you are contradicting yourself.

Maybe you should just say what exactly you mean instead of talking in these riddles..

Do you believe Sikhs should celebrate other religions festivals as long as they don't forget to celebrate their own festivals first? Sorry if I am asking again as I am a bit confused with what you are getting at.

Or never mind. I think I get what you mean.

What on earth are you talking about? I said that Sikhs should celebrate their own festivals and then, if they wish to do so, celebrate other faith festivals - but Sikh ones should be the priority over other festivals (such as Diwali and Christmas).

You are the one who said that we should celebrate Diwali, even though it is a Hindu festival.

I'm not "talking in riddles", I'm clearly stating what I believe. You're the one confusing everyone, including yourself, and contradicting absolutely everything you said earlier.
Sikhs don't celebrate diwali, we celebrate bandi choor divas. As for rakhri and lohri etc. these are hindu festivals that we shouldn't celebrate. Guru gobind singh ji armed our women with swords to protect themselves, a bracelet isn't needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by kaykayM
What on earth are you talking about? I said that Sikhs should celebrate their own festivals and then, if they wish to do so, celebrate other faith festivals - but Sikh ones should be the priority over other festivals (such as Diwali and Christmas).

You are the one who said that we should celebrate Diwali, even though it is a Hindu festival.

I'm not "talking in riddles", I'm clearly stating what I believe. You're the one confusing everyone, including yourself, and contradicting absolutely everything you said earlier.

Why should Sikhs celebrate other faith festivals? What are we tree hugging hippys?
Reply 87
Original post by gt46d
Why should Sikhs celebrate other faith festivals? What are we tree hugging hippys?

Oh my goodness, you seriously don't read what's written before you reply.

I said Sikhs should celebrate their festivals. If they decide that they want to celebrate other festivals, then that's fine - I personally don't agree - but they should prioritise Sikh festivals over other faith festivals, such as Christmas.

Many Sikhs put precedence on Diwali and Christmas, yet know nothing about heir own religious festivals, such as Bandhi Chhor Divas. They should celebrate their own faith festivals before even considering other faith festivals.

That goes for all religions, not just Sikhism.
Reply 88
I am Sikh and I married a Muslim we practise our faiths and have mutual respect for each other's religions. People need to treat mankind as one human race and stop wasting time with who can or cannot do something God is the best one to judge and we should focus on bettering ourselves. When we die are we not equal regardless of our religion, it is purity of heart that is important
Reply 89
Original post by kaykayM
Oh my goodness, you seriously don't read what's written before you reply.

I said Sikhs should celebrate their festivals. If they decide that they want to celebrate other festivals, then that's fine - I personally don't agree - but they should prioritise Sikh festivals over other faith festivals, such as Christmas.

Many Sikhs put precedence on Diwali and Christmas, yet know nothing about heir own religious festivals, such as Bandhi Chhor Divas. They should celebrate their own faith festivals before even considering other faith festivals.

That goes for all religions, not just Sikhism.

I will just stick to my own religious occasions thank you very much. Why complicate things with celebrating other peoples religious occasions? wont that confuse your kids if they see you celebrating Christmas? You have to set a good example to your kids in life. Not by celebrating anything and everything. That will make the kids become less Sikh and more westernized. Its simple just celebrate Sikh festivals. Presents on Christmas and a get together isn't harmfully as long as you are still keeping to you own faith religious occasions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by NKD123
I am Sikh and I married a Muslim we practise our faiths and have mutual respect for each other's religions. People need to treat mankind as one human race and stop wasting time with who can or cannot do something God is the best one to judge and we should focus on bettering ourselves. When we die are we not equal regardless of our religion, it is purity of heart that is important

Who cares what you did! This is purely about Sikh and Hindu Relationships. Not your personal filth story!!
Reply 91
Original post by gt46d
Who cares what you did! This is purely about Sikh and Hindu Relationships. Not your personal filth story!!

Wow, bit harsh man!

As a Hindu, I think it's a shame that when it comes to marriage/relationships we (Sikhs and Hindus) kind of avoid each other, although it is changing. Distant cousin of mine got married to a Sikh girl and one of my good friends has been dating a Sikh girl for about 4 years.
Reply 92
I'm a punjabi sikh guy from slough and most punjabis I know stick too punjabis only . I know one sikh girl who was ugly her parents encouraged her too date and get to know other sikh punjabi guys but none were interested! She's now engaged to a gorah and her parents are happy for her. That's the only punjabi I know that is with a non punjabi! Sometimes people just don't have a choice! I mean I hear stories all the time of how some people are struggling to find a match when it comes to marriage. I think punjabis I general tend to give looks a lot of significance.
My uncle who's a Hindu Gujarati himself, married a Sikh Punjabi woman. Both families celebrated it. I think it's because my uncle showed an interest and respected her side of culture and Sikhism itself, vice versa on the other side and he also agreed to have the wedding in the Sikh Gurdwara too which was good of him. It turned out to be a really good occasion as us Hindus merged well with the Sikhs and what not. I consider Sikhs to be similar to us anyway and I fully supported it. In fact, everyone did.

It comes down to upbringing I guess. My parents were brought up to be strict individuals and that's reflected in what they want from me, etc... Some families welcome interfaith marriage between similar religions e.g. Hinduism and Sikhism, and some do not.
Reply 94
I agree with you completely. Wish more people could think like us....
My Mum's side are Punjabi Sikhs and my Dad's side are Punjabi Hindus. Both Families approved.
Original post by gt46d
She would not be considered Hindu? Thats the first I have heard of this. I thought it was usually Sikhs who were more extreme when it came to religion. ie demanding that the other person convert.

Well hopefully we will see more marriages between Sikhs and Hindus in the future. I am not saying that I would go out of my way to find a Hindu girl. But if It happened that I fell in love then I would not hesitate in marrying. As Sikhs and Hindus share so much in common.

Besides, I personally find Guji girls damn fine.....

lmaoooo ......
this is soo truueeeee. i am a guji girl in london . I would love to get to see sikh boys and talk but in my area its a struggle i dont see many sikh boys more english boys and that doesnt leave me with much option.
Original post by Ydni
I'm a punjabi sikh guy from slough and most punjabis I know stick too punjabis only . I know one sikh girl who was ugly her parents encouraged her too date and get to know other sikh punjabi guys but none were interested! She's now engaged to a gorah and her parents are happy for her. That's the only punjabi I know that is with a non punjabi! Sometimes people just don't have a choice! I mean I hear stories all the time of how some people are struggling to find a match when it comes to marriage. I think punjabis I general tend to give looks a lot of significance.

:smile:
You hear all these stories and see sikh girls messing about at uni but a majority do end up with punjabi guys at the end of the day. If you're a punjabi sikh guy who is clean shaven and above average looking you have pretty much hit the jackpot with most sikh girls from what I've noticed. Punjabi guys and girls definitely give looks a major priority.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by krups2001
lmaoooo ......
this is soo truueeeee. i am a guji girl in london . I would love to get to see sikh boys and talk but in my area its a struggle i dont see many sikh boys more english boys and that doesnt leave me with much option.

I'd love to get to know you guji girls...you girls are beautiful as hell. My area is mainly white too and I obviously prefer brown girls anyday. I can assure you alot of clean shaven sikh boys would be up for chatting to a guji girl :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 99
SUMMARY of hinduism:

1) accept your fellow human beings regardless of any categorisation bg v 10:20 god resides in hearts of all beings
2) Karma yoga - selfless service without expectation of rewards
4) gender equality - powerful female aspects of god eg kali ma and shaktima
5) care of environment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending