The Student Room Group

Racist Muslim gang attack. The word racism 'mysteriously' absent from reports though

How much longer can the media keep up this charade of omitting the word racism from its reporting when the victims of hate crime are white?

I saw this story on itv news, they called it a 'gang of men' and left it there, the Daily Mail went one further by calling them 'Asian men', but still this is not the correct reporting.

Why is there this massive double standard and two tier justice system in the UK regarding hate crimes?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3176357/Shocking-video-footage-shows-gang-Asian-men-launch-vicious-Tower-Bridge-attack-lone-29-year-old-man.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Umm... how do you know it was related to race?
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
Umm... how do you know it was related to race?

Because the media are using euphemisms like 'unprovoked'. 'Unprovoked' means racist crime against a white person in media speak if the attackers are not white and victim is white.

This euphemism is literally never used if roles are reversed.
that's the media for you
Reply 4
Original post by codegirl
How much longer can the media keep up this charade of omitting the word racism from its reporting when the victims of hate crime are white?

I saw this story on itv news, they called it a 'gang of men' and left it there, the Daily Mail went one further by calling them 'Asian men', but still this is not the correct reporting.

Why is there this massive double standard and two tier justice system in the UK regarding hate crimes?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3176357/Shocking-video-footage-shows-gang-Asian-men-launch-vicious-Tower-Bridge-attack-lone-29-year-old-man.html

It's pretty much official policy that only white people can be racist because racism = prejudice plus power. The adviser to Ken Livingston kept trotting that out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@above post

people who believe that only white people can be racist deserve to be mocked and not taken seriously about anything for a minimum of 5 years
Title of post is misleading. Doesn't specifically say Muslim in the article, however going by virtue of probability it most likely is.

At least the ITV refers to it as a 'gang of men'. The fascist BBC state propaganda probably referred to it as 'a group of misguided individuals'.
Reply 9
You're getting upset because it doesn't say it's a racist attack.
Yet you're putting 'Muslim' in the title? What's that got to do with anything?

You're the one with double standards.
Reply 10
Am I missing something? Is any (as far as we know) unprovoked violence that is perpetrated by non-white person or persons against a white person now automatically a racist attack?

Sure I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was racist in motivation, but since we don't know that why on earth has this already become a gripe about reporting standards in the media?

And if you have any interest in reporting standards why are you all linking to Daily Mail articles?
Original post by offhegoes
Am I missing something? Is any (as far as we know) unprovoked violence that is perpetrated by non-white person or persons against a white person now automatically a racist attack?

Sure I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was racist in motivation, but since we don't know that why on earth has this already become a gripe about reporting standards in the media?

And if you have any interest in reporting standards why are you all linking to Daily Mail articles?

Yeah he should have linked to the Graun, they are known for their political neutrality :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by SotonianOne
Because common sense tells us they are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very like to be Muslim.

People of that skin colour (Pakistani-ish) and chav clothing probably are Muslim to the point that if any of them aren't, it would be a surprise.

And please explain to me what being Muslim has to do with it?
Reply 13
Because common sense tells us they are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very like to be Muslim.

People of that skin colour (Pakistani-ish) and chav clothing probably are Muslim to the point that if any of them aren't, it would be a surprise.

You say common sense, but what you really mean is racial stereotyping . South Asian/ Middle Eastern is not synonymous with Muslim. It's the same as assuming that any acts of violence committed by white people were Christian hate crimes, when white people can be any religion, just like non white people. The media's representation of those who committed this brutal attack as a group of men is correct, and there is no reason to complain unless information comes to light revealing that the attack was religiously motivated, and no reason to comment on colour unless evidence confirming it as a racial attack is provided.
Reply 14
Even if daily mail knew their specific ethnicity they won't say it. At most they will only say Muslim even if they knew they were Pakistanis which is most likely if they are Muslims. I think fail mail deliberately do this.
Original post by cvk95
You say common sense, but what you really mean is racial stereotyping . South Asian/ Middle Eastern is not synonymous with Muslim. It's the same as assuming that any acts of violence committed by white people were Christian hate crimes, when white people can be any religion, just like non white people. The media's representation of those who committed this brutal attack as a group of men is correct, and there is no reason to complain unless information comes to light revealing that the attack was religiously motivated, and no reason to comment on colour unless evidence confirming it as a racial attack is provided.

If there's an Asian street gang from East London there's a fairly high chance they are Muslim.
While a large percentage of white people in this country are athiest, the vast majority of British Asians are Muslim, they're more devout and Hindus and Sikhs are generally less anti-social and more law abiding. It's an educated guess.
Original post by HAnwar
And please explain to me what being Muslim has to do with it?

Nothing, the fact is that they are Muslim and there's no point in contesting it.
Original post by cvk95
You say common sense, but what you really mean is racial stereotyping . South Asian/ Middle Eastern is not synonymous with Muslim.

So, would a group of Christians gang up in France to beat up some young French girls for wearing clothes in a park on a hot summer day? Maybe so! Yes, this is definitely racial stereotyping and unwarranted speculation.

Woah, steady on.
@above post

people who believe that only white people can be racist deserve to be mocked and not taken seriously about anything for a minimum of 5 years

And they ought to be tasered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending