The Student Room Group

Opinion of e-cigarettes?

When I say e-cigarettes I mean both the ones that look and taste like cigarettes and vaping and shisa pens.

Personally I think they are the best way to stop people smoking. My dad smoked 20 a day for 20 years and one day decided to try one of these shisha pens because he'd tried everything beforehand to stop smoking and none of them helped him. He told me that they are the closest thing to smoking without inhaling all the carcinogens in the smoke. He understands that the long term effects of e-liquids are not known currently but he'd much rather inhale those in instead of rat poison :tongue: He has successfully stopped smoking for about 2 years now, he has saved an unbelievable amount of money and his health has dramatically improved. The effects of his asthma are much worse, he never gets ill anymore whereas when he was smoking every time I saw him he had a cold. Also the method in which you have to inhale the vapour from shisha pens is much deeper than if you're inhaling cigarette smoke and my dad said it feels like his lungs have expanded and I told him that's basically what yoga does :biggrin:

Wondering what other people's opinions of them are, whether you think their use should be banned in enclosed public spaces like cigarettes are and whether you think they're effective?
- It's cheaper.
- It's heathier.
- Fruit flavours smell nice.

vs

- Potential long-term effectts currently unknown.
- According to some dubious studies made, the content of the liquid is questionable and there's a risk of formadehyde poisoning (I cannot stress this enough: dubious studies. Especially the formadehyde one).

I'll take my chances with a vape instead of inhaling benzenes and cyanide.
people are always smoking them at my sixth form. A lot of people actually started e-cigarettes having never smoked before. And they're still unhealthy. I think they are useful for people who want to quit but the advertising on them should be restricted- otherwise they'll become cool.
Not as good as the real thing :smile:
And yes, I know smoking is gonna kill me as I'm going to get 10 bazillion different cancers and my teeth are gonna fall out and my ovaries won't produce eggs and etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Drunk Punx
- It's cheaper.
- It's heathier.
- Fruit flavours smell nice.

vs

- Potential long-term effectts currently unknown.
- According to some dubious studies made, the content of the liquid is questionable and there's a risk of formadehyde poisoning (I cannot stress this enough: dubious studies. Especially the formadehyde one).

I'll take my chances with a vape instead of inhaling benzenes and cyanide.

Exactly the attitude my dad has, and yeah none of the studies have come out with a clear answer as to whether they're actually really that bad for you :P dad also can't stand the smell of cigarettes now which I think is pretty significant after the amount of time he spent smoking them.
Original post by picklescamp
people are always smoking them at my sixth form. A lot of people actually started e-cigarettes having never smoked before. And they're still unhealthy. I think they are useful for people who want to quit but the advertising on them should be restricted- otherwise they'll become cool.

I agree, people at my school do it to but only because they are trying to give up smoking. I think they should be aimed at people quitting smoking but I don't think it's a huge drama if they are doing it with liquids that don't have any nicotine? I know nicotine still harms you because it affects platelets in your blood, but if there's no nicotine then I don't really see a problem, at least they aren't using cigarettes and making everyone breathe in their second hand smoke I would say.

Original post by YellowWallpaper
And yes, I know smoking is gonna kill me as I'm going to get 10 bazillion different cancers and my teeth are gonna fall out and my ovaries won't produce eggs and etc.

That's fair enough it's your own opinion :smile:
Reply 6
hate to break it to you but what your dad is actually inhaling is my jizz
Reply 7
Original post by Furios
hate to break it to you but what your dad is actually inhaling is my jizz

you're literally the funniest person honestly, make some more jokes.
Great for people already smoking, I don't understand why people start them when they've never smoked normal cigarettes.
Reply 9
Original post by liquity
x

I agree that e-cigarettes are good for people trying to give up smoking but the problem with them is because they're so widely avaliable they're now encouraging people who wouldn't smoke regularly to take up e-cigarettes. When I left my old school it had got to the point where there were loads of kids desperate to try them and there were even year 8's smoking them in some of their lessons :/
It doesn't help with stopping smoking it just replaces the addiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had been smoking cigarettes for some time and started using an e-cig about a year ago, going on 10 months smoke-free and only wish I had started vaping sooner. Within a few days my lungs felt better, by two weeks they felt like I had never smoked - it is still kind of surreal I'm not smoking, I had tried to quit before and started right back up but using an e-cig it was easy.
Reply 12
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Great for people already smoking, I don't understand why people start them when they've never smoked normal cigarettes.

It's becoming a fashion trend that's why, vaping is much more acceptable, available and allowed in public places, rather than cigarettes. My mum won't smoke around most people she knows because she's ashamed of it. I guess there is a problem with people starting up but it actually helps you breathe deeper into your lungs, weird concept I know :P
Original post by 1338
I agree that e-cigarettes are good for people trying to give up smoking but the problem with them is because they're so widely avaliable they're now encouraging people who wouldn't smoke regularly to take up e-cigarettes. When I left my old school it had got to the point where there were loads of kids desperate to try them and there were even year 8's smoking them in some of their lessons :/

I'd say anyone younger than 16 smoking them is wrong... but e-cigarettes or shisha pens, if there's no nicotine and they just do it for fun to make smoke rings or whatever (I've done it a few times because I like how the vapour can give you a flavour and some of them are really nice), it's a bit of a waste of money for those who don't smoke but each to their own. Pretty sure you're not even meant to sell them to under 18s anyway?
Original post by DiddyDec
It doesn't help with stopping smoking it just replaces the addiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but the idea is that you wean yourself off the nicotine by going down with the percentage nicotine content. My dad's like 2 levels lower than he was when he started, I think he's on 0.6% now which is really really good, and I know he will eventually no longer need the nicotine. It still requires a lot of self control to not stay on that same nicotine level but my dad says he eventually found the higher percentages actually too much for him which is a good thing. So it does help I have witnessed both my dad and his fiance successfully stop for 2 years :smile:
Original post by watson503
I had been smoking cigarettes for some time and started using an e-cig about a year ago, going on 10 months smoke-free and only wish I had started vaping sooner. Within a few days my lungs felt better, by two weeks they felt like I had never smoked - it is still kind of surreal I'm not smoking, I had tried to quit before and started right back up but using an e-cig it was easy.

Yeah my dad said that too, I bet you've saved so much money as well?
Reply 13
Original post by liquity

I'd say anyone younger than 16 smoking them is wrong... but e-cigarettes or shisha pens, if there's no nicotine and they just do it for fun to make smoke rings or whatever (I've done it a few times because I like how the vapour can give you a flavour and some of them are really nice), it's a bit of a waste of money for those who don't smoke but each to their own. Pretty sure you're not even meant to sell them to under 18s anyway?

Yeah I've checked and since I left that school they've made it illegal for under 18's to buy them which is a start I suppose. Although I don't like how they've taken smoking (which had pretty much gone out of fashion) and basically rebranded it meaning that like you said to someone else it's now became a fashion trend. Even though it isn't known to cause health affects nearly as bad as regular smoking surely it would still be better not to do it at all?

Edit: actually I've just checked again an its not illegal to sell e-cigs to under 18's, the government have only spoke about doing it but haven't acted on it :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by 1338
Yeah I've checked and since I left that school they've made it illegal for under 18's to buy them which is a start I suppose. Although I don't like how they've taken smoking (which had pretty much gone out of fashion) and basically rebranded it meaning that like you said to someone else it's now became a fashion trend. Even though it isn't known to cause health affects nearly as bad as regular smoking surely it would still be better not to do it at all?

Edit: actually I've just checked again and the government have spoke about making it illegal to sell them to under 18's but I don't think they've actually done it...

I know that many shops refuse to sell to under 18s but online is pretty much unregulated so that's where the problem lies, yes I agree it is better to not do it at all because it's still inhaling chemicals etc but I'm just glad it's that they're starting up rather than smoking because other people aren't getting harmed from the vapour

Quick Reply

Latest