The Student Room Group

Best textbook for Edexcel M1 M2 M3?

Hello, i'm self studying M1, M2, M3. I have been given orange cover textbooks (Heinemann) but i am not sure these are the best availiable. Also they might be out of date.

If anyone could recommend me the best textbooks for these modules then it would be much appreciated!

Thanks, James.
Reply 1
Original post by jamesgates1
Hello, i'm self studying M1, M2, M3. I have been given orange cover textbooks (Heinemann) but i am not sure these are the best availiable. Also they might be out of date.

If anyone could recommend me the best textbooks for these modules then it would be much appreciated!

Thanks, James.

I would use a book such as;

Bostock and Chandler's Applied Mathematics (Volume 1 should cover m1-3, although someone might want to clarify this)
or
Bostock and Chandler's Mechanics and Probability (which is basically a slightly newer version of the one above - ignore the probability bit though, its just an extra chapter they have thrown onto the end).

I would use one of the two books above and supplement them with the Edexcel endorsed books to ensure your knowledge is to that of the syllabus; the only issue with the Bostock and Chandler books is that they were published years ago, so supplement with the Heinemann books to ensure you don't miss anything and to make sure you are familiar with the current style of questions in the exams - you will find questions are worded/styled very differently in B&C.

And the best part? You can pick up B&C books for a few pounds second hand. Use Waterstone's marketplace or buy 'used' on amazon.

Find the above books here and here.
I had the heinmann ones too. However before my exam I bought the CGP complete course books, they are much better and have explained answers and very many questions. The explanation is the best I've found too, plus they are only £15. :smile:
I would recommend CGP and Heinmann books.
I can't be the only one here who thinks the official Edexcel ones are the best? They're great.
Reply 5
Original post by yellowcopter
I can't be the only one here who thinks the official Edexcel ones are the best? They're great.

I think a very important thing to note here is that the OP is self teaching. When being taught, I think the Heinemann's do a very good job of providing the student with relevant questions to practise from. However, drawing on my experiences of self studying A Level maths, I don't think they are sufficient to cover the whole course; AS Maths you could probably get away with it, but for the latter applied modules, and A2, for me, the Heinemann's just don't cut it. If I'm self studying, I want a book that goes into detail, not just a book which 'teaches the spec'; something of increasing importance looking at style Edexcel are going for with their most recent paper.
Original post by Gilo98
I think a very important thing to note here is that the OP is self teaching. When being taught, I think the Heinemann's do a very good job of providing the student with relevant questions to practise from. However, drawing on my experiences of self studying A Level maths, I don't think they are sufficient to cover the whole course; AS Maths you could probably get away with it, but for the latter applied modules, and A2, for me, the Heinemann's just don't cut it. If I'm self studying, I want a book that goes into detail, not just a book which 'teaches the spec'; something of increasing importance looking at style Edexcel are going for with their most recent paper.

Each to their own. I found Edexcel/Heinemann + ExamSolutions a lot better for self study.
Reply 7
Each to their own. I found Edexcel/Heinemann + ExamSolutions a lot better for self study.

:h: In fact I think thats a very important point for OP. What works for one person may not work for you.
Reply 8
Original post by Gilo98
I would use a book such as;

Bostock and Chandler's Applied Mathematics (Volume 1 should cover m1-3, although someone might want to clarify this)
or
Bostock and Chandler's Mechanics and Probability (which is basically a slightly newer version of the one above - ignore the probability bit though, its just an extra chapter they have thrown onto the end).

I would use one of the two books above and supplement them with the Edexcel endorsed books to ensure your knowledge is to that of the syllabus; the only issue with the Bostock and Chandler books is that they were published years ago, so supplement with the Heinemann books to ensure you don't miss anything and to make sure you are familiar with the current style of questions in the exams - you will find questions are worded/styled very differently in B&C.

And the best part? You can pick up B&C books for a few pounds second hand. Use Waterstone's marketplace or buy 'used' on amazon.

Find the above books here and here.

Do these books contain mamy things far beyond the Maths syllabus? I've been looking for some that would boost my knowledge in Maths
Original post by Gilo98
:h: In fact I think thats a very important point for OP. What works for one person may not work for you.

Indeed. :smile: All my friends use different books and find some work better than others for them.

Best suggestion is to go to a library or check them out first and see which one suits best. Some prefer ones with a lot of detail, some find the detail needless and want more straight to the point content.
Reply 10
Original post by kkboyk
Do these books contain mamy things far beyond the Maths syllabus? I've been looking for some that would boost my knowledge in Maths

All B&C books were written for older specs so contain a few things that are not on the standard A Level syllabi currently, so yes, they would offer some 'extension' work. However, these books for me are more about the detail and rigour with which they teach things. To be honest, for a ew pounds, I think they are well worth the investment.
Reply 11
Indeed. :smile: All my friends use different books and find some work better than others for them.

Best suggestion is to go to a library or check them out first and see which one suits best. Some prefer ones with a lot of detail, some find the detail needless and want more straight to the point content.

Very true. The B&C books that I like tend to be either love or hate. I think the optimal solutions lies in a mixture of different media; videos (exam solutions.net/m4ths.com), textbooks, past papers, etc etc.
Original post by Gilo98
Very true. The B&C books that I like tend to be either love or hate. I think the optimal solutions lies in a mixture of different media; videos (exam solutions.net/m4ths.com), textbooks, past papers, etc etc.

Honestly never read them so can't voice my opinion on them, AQA people mainly use them and as you'd except since I prefer the Edexcel ones I do Edexcel. :tongue:

Agreed, Examsolutions or a similar site coupled with a good book and LOTS of practice and Maths is very passable.
Reply 13
Original post by Gilo98
All B&C books were written for older specs so contain a few things that are not on the standard A Level syllabi currently, so yes, they would offer some 'extension' work. However, these books for me are more about the detail and rigour with which they teach things. To be honest, for a ew pounds, I think they are well worth the investment.

I bought tjw Further Maths ones and have yet to use it until I cover FP2-3

Do you also know other old a level matgs textbooks apart from B&C?
Reply 14
Honestly never read them so can't voice my opinion on them, AQA people mainly use them and as you'd except since I prefer the Edexcel ones I do Edexcel. :tongue:

Agreed, Examsolutions or a similar site coupled with a good book and LOTS of practice and Maths is very passable.

:yy:
Original post by kkboyk
I bought tjw Further Maths ones and have yet to use it until I cover FP2-3

Do you also know other old a level matgs textbooks apart from B&C?

Not that I can think of. They cover the all of the core, 'further pure' and mechanics modules. For stats, a lot of people, me included, vouch for this book. Apart from that, I cant think of any other 'old' textbooks although B&C are that thorough I personally will never buy any more for teaching maths.
Reply 15
Original post by jamesgates1

Thanks, James.

I also self taught m1-3, and have to say that for the exam, this set of books are more than sufficient
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Mechanics/dp/0435519166/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438167594&sr=1-1&keywords=M1+Keith+pledger

I have never used a B&C book myself, but have heard they are very good. However, the Keith pledger books are endorsed by the exam board and will give you very good coverage of the syllabus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Gilo98
:yy:

Not that I can think of. They cover the all of the core, 'further pure' and mechanics modules. For stats, a lot of people, me included, vouch for this book. Apart from that, I cant think of any other 'old' textbooks although B&C are that thorough I personally will never buy any more for teaching maths.

Thanks for the recommendations :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by kkboyk
Thanks for the recommendations :tongue:

No worries.
Thanks to all the replies. Since I just want to learn the syllabus I'm going to get the edexcel ones. Partly as I've used them before and they link well with exam solutions.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest