The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MouseyBrown
It's always really interesting and reassuring when you give out those kind of stats. Have you got similar for
AS results?

We don't record AS results. In general, students perform well in these exams but again not perfectly. The undergraduates we admit value learning, love their subjects & have a work ethic. They are not study robots though. While nearly all graduate we see the same range of experiences as at other universities. Degrees will stretch you & dealing with setbacks is part of the journey.
Original post by danniegee
Hello :smile:

I think this is how the question works - hope it helps :smile:

Thank you :smile: Really helped!
So even though I am predicted 4 As for AS, if I get 3As and a B or 2 Bs and 2 As then i might as well still apply if i have a good P.S and a good chance of doing well in the LNAT?
How do Oxford view extracurricular activities that are not really related to the subject you're applying for? Things like volunteering, student leadership and creative activities?
Original post by enaayrah
How do Oxford view extracurricular activities that are not really related to the subject you're applying for? Things like volunteering, student leadership and creative activities?

To be honest they aren't really factored in to your application at all. Oxford don't care much for anything not related to your subject of choice. You can always try and link ECs to your course through skills you've learned or something (although this may be contrived).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
To be honest they aren't really factored in to your application at all. Oxford don't care much for anything not related to your subject of choice. You can always try and link ECs to your course through skills you've learned or something (although this may be contrived).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, yeah I thought so. I have more extracurriculars that are related to my subject so that's good but I'm just wondering how much of my personal statement I should dedicate to those kind of activities, or whether I should mention them at all.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
Ah, yeah I thought so. I have more extracurriculars that are related to my subject so that's good but I'm just wondering how much of my personal statement I should dedicate to those kind of activities, or whether I should mention them at all.

Thanks for the help :smile:

If it helps - I think I had about 5 lines in my PS detailing my involvement in tutoring, playing sports or coaching (even then I tried to link these to PPE in some contrived regard).

Ultimately, though, this part didn't flow with the rest of my personal statement and in truth I only mentioned these things because the other unis to which I applied wanted evidence of ECs. Oxford recommend a 80/20 split in terms of academics vs ECs - mine was probably closer to 90/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it helps - I think I had about 5 lines in my PS detailing my involvement in tutoring, playing sports or coaching (even then I tried to link these to PPE in some contrived regard).

Ultimately, though, this part didn't flow with the rest of my personal statement and in truth I only mentioned these things because the other unis to which I applied wanted evidence of ECs. Oxford recommend a 80/20 split in terms of academics vs ECs - mine was probably closer to 90/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems about right and I'm wary about other universities too.
I'll try to follow the 80/20 split. Thanks again for the help :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! When I did my drafts I did sort of between 80/20 and 90/10 making sure I have enough literature, and subject related skills, visits to institutes, and I only dedicated the last few lines or so to extra curricular stuff. But my teachers said its too heavy on academic stuff, and I wasn't sure, because I thought Oxford expected an academic oriented personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to apply for PPE as well and was wondering, did you link the subjects or talked about them separately? Did you apply only for PPE at other universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nichole199810
Hi! When I did my drafts I did sort of between 80/20 and 90/10 making sure I have enough literature, and subject related skills, visits to institutes, and I only dedicated the last few lines or so to extra curricular stuff. But my teachers said its too heavy on academic stuff, and I wasn't sure, because I thought Oxford expected an academic oriented personal statement.

Mine is like that. I talk about my subjects, some books I read, museum visits and work experience. There wasn't enough room for the rest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either 80/20 or 90/10 is fine. Mine was probably closer to 95/5, I barely put any extra-curriculars in except for two lines, because there was nothing I wanted to cut out of the academic section. People say that Durham etc want really broad people with lots of balance in academics and extra-curriculars - but I still got an offer there. It's a "personal" statement, so they're all going to vary. As long as it's not full of extra-curriculars and no academics then you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much, 80/20 - 90/10 is perfectly fine in terms of the split. Mine was heavy on academic stuff but I still managed to get offers - at the end of the day, it is a 'personal' statement and so the most important thing is to show your passion for the course and studying at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adynaton
I would like to apply for PPE as well and was wondering, did you link the subjects or talked about them separately? Did you apply only for PPE at other universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for PPE at Oxford, Warwick, Durham and QUB and then Politics & Economics at Edinburgh.

I tried to link the subjects in my PS where possible - books I had read focused a lot on the connection between politics & economics so it was easy for me to talk about my interest in how the political world can affect the economy.
At the start I mentioned a general interest in philosophy, then linked what I had read in philosophy to what interested me in politics (I mentioned how 'The Social Contract' offered a theoretical assessment of good political authority, for example).

Hope that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for PPE at Oxford, Warwick, Durham and QUB and then Politics & Economics at Edinburgh.

I tried to link the subjects in my PS where possible - books I had read focused a lot on the connection between politics & economics so it was easy for me to talk about my interest in how the political world can affect the economy.
At the start I mentioned a general interest in philosophy, then linked what I had read in philosophy to what interested me in politics (I mentioned how 'The Social Contract' offered a theoretical assessment of good political authority, for example).

Hope that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So am I right in thinking that you mainly talked about politics and economics? Could you suggest me some of those books?
I've read many books on political philosophy but not much on straight politics or economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adynaton
So am I right in thinking that you mainly talked about politics and economics? Could you suggest me some of those books?
I've read many books on political philosophy but not much on straight politics or economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main bit of my statement would have been about politics&economics, yes.
Read what interests you - don't just read a book on politics for the sake of saying you read it - if you're more in to political philosophy then that's fine.
Owen Jones' new book 'Establishment' is a good read, as are 'Why Nations Fail' and 'The Price of Inequality' which are more recently published.
You might also like Kofi Annan's book 'Interventions' which details his life in diplomacy and international conflict. It could be tied in with political philosophy (authority, government protection, international relations etc) & morality in a contemporary, real world context.

These are, of course, just suggestions based on my own tastes. Go to bookstores and find books that'll interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by learner248
I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there? :smile:

I want to apply for Chinese :smile: I'm doing French, History, Maths and English Lit. How about you? Where else are you looking at?
Where should I put contests in my personal statement? Is it extracurricular or should I include them elsewhere?
Original post by Bearbert
Where should I put contests in my personal statement? Is it extracurricular or should I include them elsewhere?

What kind of contests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of contests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths contests for a maths application. Mostly national, but some international ones

Latest

Trending

Trending