The Student Room Group

How do you plan on acing A2's?

AS's are over and we're all waiting (anxiously) for results day.

I wanted a discussion for reviewing the successes and failures of the AS period to pin down an action plan for tackling next year and take inspiration from other peoples strategies.

So, based on what has worked for you in the past, or what you've learnt from past failings what exactly is your A2 GAME PLAN?

- A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them:
- How did AS go, and why: (e.g. bad, lack of effort)
- Planned approach: (how will you improve from above, or replicate it)
- How will you stick to it: (uni plans to motivate?)
- Start revision when?:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
My top tip would be to put yourself in a position where you're not ****ting yourself about the future and results day...
-A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them: AAB/ABB - Revising early
- How did AS go, and why: (e.g. bad, lack of effort) Feel like they were okay except for one eco paper which i feel like i messed up
- Planned approach: revision cards and notes early,notes,constantly reviewing what i learnt on the day
- How will you stick to it: Look at my top choice uni everyday
- Start revision when?:early
Reply 3
Wing it
A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them: AAB/ABB. Not impossible, but a lot of work needed.
- How did AS go, and why: very difficult to tell. Could have made a lot more out of them since many were easier than expected but I didn't put the knowledge I had into it, which probably means disappointment come results day. (I'm so annoyed with myself)
- Planned approach: Revise, revise, revise! Learn vocab, extra reading, exam technique practice, act on feedback from work, reams and reams of past papers, read examiners' reports. - How will you stick to it: keep looking at unis I want to go to or gap year plans, career plans.
- Start revision when?: Christmas holidays, probably won't manage to make it any earlier because of homework etc, but if I can, late November.
- A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them: Hopefully A*A*A*A*A*, Realistically anywhere between A*A*A*AA - A*A*AAB
- How did AS go, and why: It would have been a lot easier if I'd worked more in the first term, but I managed to salvage myself nearer the end
- Planned approach: Revise as much as possible, focus on working before having a fun time instead of the other way around
- How will you stick to it: I'm applying for a really competitive course, so reminding myself of that should do the trick
- Start revision when?: I started revision for A2 exams the week before I finished my last AS
(edited 8 years ago)
- A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them: A*A*A (unlikely, but I'll just resit some maths modules if I don't get it)
- How did AS go, and why: (e.g. bad, lack of effort) AS was okay, probably got decent grades, but I did loads of revision, like everyday since the start of the year, so I should have done better.
- Planned approach: (how will you improve from above, or replicate it) I've started going through the content early. This is pretty much necessary since I am doing all further maths modules in one year and STEP.
- How will you stick to it: (uni plans to motivate?) The fact that one of my subjects will be linear from September is enough to motivate me. For maths though, I don't need anything special to stick to it, I enjoy it.
- Start revision when?: I've started self teaching maths content. I've finished FP1 and I'm halfway through C3. I will work all throughout the year, but I will focus on tricky exam questions from December.
-A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them: A*A*A*. So long as I can get an A* in my computing coursework then I am confident I should be able to get atleast 2A*. With maths I still think I can get it but it is the easiest out of my subjects to find myself panicking on the day of an exam and so not achieving the A*. Probably going to be in the range of A*A*A* - A*AA I think.
- How did AS go, and why: (e.g. bad, lack of effort) - Pretty well as far as I am concerned although it is always difficult to predict how well you have done so I could do slightly worse or get what I have predicted myself. I think that I should get AAAA and as a realistic worst case scenario AAAB and as a sort of more unlikely worst case scenario AABB but I couldn't see myself getting 2B's to be honest, I feel like I would only get 1. As for reasons why, I reckon a lot of it was down to starting the year knowing exactly what revision resources I would use and evaluating all of them to see if they were thorough enough / safe enough to be used for my real exams and then for subjects that didn't have notes / brilliant resources online I would just make my own notes from a revision guide and online sources.
- Planned approach: (how will you improve from above, or replicate it) - Start at a faster pace from the beginning of the year so that by the easter holidays absolutely everything is done (resources / notes) and there is minimal stress and hopefully higher levels of confidence which should reduce the risk of me panicking in an exam. I plan to set deadlines for certain sets of notes to be created and certain topics to be learnt. For me I think that will work well because I don't like the thought of sticking to something on a day to day basis as by setting a deadline it means even if I mess up on day and don't make notes I still haven't reached my deadline and can make up for it later without feeling like I have failed myself.
- How will you stick to it: (uni plans to motivate?) - I know it will increase my confidence and reduce worry / stress later + I would rather overestimate the amount of work necessary than underestimate so that I can get into the uni I want to. Additionally I sort of see this as the final hurdle which isn't to say uni wont be hard because I know it will be much harder but once I am finally in uni the stress of getting into the one I wanted to can finally be gone and so I want to make sure I do my utmost best to achieve that so I should be able to stick to it.
- Start revision when?: As soon as the summer holidays ends and by that I mean making notes from the book. As far as revising from the notes goes that will be during january mocks, easter holidays and during my real exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Onlyme123B
AS's are over and we're all waiting (anxiously) for results day.

I wanted a discussion for reviewing the successes and failures of the AS period to pin down an action plan for tackling next year and take inspiration from other peoples strategies.

So, based on what has worked for you in the past, or what you've learnt from past failings what exactly is your A2 GAME PLAN?

- A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them:
- How did AS go, and why: (e.g. bad, lack of effort)
- Planned approach: (how will you improve from above, or replicate it)
- How will you stick to it: (uni plans to motivate?)
- Start revision when?:

1) BBA in Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies respectively. Not very but I need at least BBB for my favourite university.
2) Okay I guess, not as good as I'd have liked but I finished all the papers and didn't leave any questions out, so... I definitely did better than last year when I got EEUU (retook year 12). No idea how the exams went because I have very bad anxiety when it comes to exams.
3) Same as this year I guess, I'll just have to hope I don't panic when I open the exam papers.
4) Keep in mind the career I want to do, the life I want to have, my reasons for going into that career, ect.
5) Make the revision resources as I go along, start revising in March.
Reply 9
Original post by RonnieRJ
Wing it

I wish! Your grades look really good so you must have some insight? :smile:
-A2 grades aiming for and likelihood of meeting them:
- How did AS go, and why: I would say it went OKAY. Results depending though
- Planned approach: Start doing a little bit EVERYDAY. No excuses, even if it's just making a pretty PowerPoint (using the laptop so it doesn't feel like studying)
- How will you stick to it: Make sure I have my goal grades clearly displayed in my room. Use it as a motivation and research the city I want to study in and how gutted I would be if I didn't get in due to poor results.
- Start revision when?: As soon as possible! But for exams, probably February. Gives me 5 months to buckle down and put everything into practice!
Original post by Onlyme123B
I wish! Your grades look really good so you must have some insight? :smile:

Aw thank you! But no actually it's probably 99% luck and 1% memory :smile: winging it guys lets all wing it to Cambridge:biggrin:
Revise more, stay organised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply to Cambridge and getting an offer, lol :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest