The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels: Physics

i am still deciding on which a levels to pick and have been considering physics. i just wanted to know how people have found the course and whether its as hard as people make out
Reply 1
I don't find it to be as hard as everyone said, but it is a bit boring sometimes, I guess it depends what topics you like.

There is a new spec coming out, for aqa at least, and apparently it's getting harder. (I've had a look at the spec papers and they don't seem too terrible)
Reply 2
I didn't find the content too hard, but some questions could be very tricky (OCR). I don't think it's too hard to get a decent grade, but you have to put a lot of work in to make it to an A/A* (in my opinion). A good teacher makes a huge difference too
Reply 3
Original post by Alex621
I didn't find the content too hard, but some questions could be very tricky (OCR). I don't think it's too hard to get a decent grade, but you have to put a lot of work in to make it to an A/A* (in my opinion). A good teacher makes a huge difference too
are there any textbooks or ways of revising that you would suggest. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by mja2106
I don't find it to be as hard as everyone said, but it is a bit boring sometimes, I guess it depends what topics you like.

There is a new spec coming out, for aqa at least, and apparently it's getting harder. (I've had a look at the spec papers and they don't seem too terrible)

Thanks what other subjects did u take and how did u find them ?
Reply 5
Original post by oxe
Thanks what other subjects did u take and how did u find them ?

I took further maths (doing full normal maths a level in first year then I'll be doing the full FM a level in the coming year). So far, I've sat exams in c1, 2, 3, 4, m1 and s1. I think they all went quite well but I'll be finding out soon anyway. The AS modules are easier than the A2 modules, but if you're good at maths they're all okay.

I also did computing - comp1, the practical(ish) exam I found to be good fun. Comp2, the theory module, was agonisingly boring.

In terms of revision, my college gives us packs notes which are really good, but for all my subjects lots of past papers are the way to go.

I do AQA Computing and physics and OCR for maths and FM
Reply 6
Original post by mja2106
I took further maths (doing full normal maths a level in first year then I'll be doing the full FM a level in the coming year). So far, I've sat exams in c1, 2, 3, 4, m1 and s1. I think they all went quite well but I'll be finding out soon anyway. The AS modules are easier than the A2 modules, but if you're good at maths they're all okay.

I also did computing - comp1, the practical(ish) exam I found to be good fun. Comp2, the theory module, was agonisingly boring.

In terms of revision, my college gives us packs notes which are really good, but for all my subjects lots of past papers are the way to go.

I do AQA Computing and physics and OCR for maths and FM

Ah right good luck with that! Do you suggest starting with the soloman papers and when would you suggets you start doinh those papers.

Also, my physics suggested we get ourselves tutors if we go on do to physics, do you think it is do able on your own( I am an A/A* student btw)
Reply 7
Original post by oxe
are there any textbooks or ways of revising that you would suggest. Thanks

The main ocr textbook we used in lessons was quite good and for revision my teacher set up past paper questions on topics we'd covered. When it came to proper revision time I just did all the available past papers, and the specimen papers, and I would suggest trying questions from other exam boards as the topics can overlap and it gives you a chance to try questions which are in a different style.

I found that the ocr physics exams this year were quite different in style to previous years so practicing from a range of sources should prepare you better than just using content from the particular exam board you are with.
Reply 8
Original post by oxe
Ah right good luck with that! Do you suggest starting with the soloman papers and when would you suggets you start doinh those papers.

Also, my physics suggested we get ourselves tutors if we go on do to physics, do you think it is do able on your own( I am an A/A* student btw)

For maths papers, I was probably doing a paper for each module a week, maybe more. However, this was because we had to in lessons. At home, I tried to do all the papers from 2011 again in the two weeks before the exam (I think maybe I left it a bit late :s-smilie:). I pretty much did the same for physics and computing 'cept from 2009. I think you'll probably end up doing solomon papers as it'll be a new spec with very few of any past papers. I didn't do the solomon papers as they weren't always spot on in terms of being the same as the real papers (some questions were awful without hints, others absurdly easy). I found as physics pretty good without a tutor but the teacher was pretty decent. A2 physics is a bit harder but I've not being doing it long. I've heard the new spec is more mathsy, which I guess will be easier for some and harder for others. I think I would have preferred it personally
For Physics I feel you need a good enthusiastic teacher, and a bit of interest in Physics itself. A bunch of people take Physics at AS because the GCSE isn't too difficult which is a bad idea.

Also if you do AQA, I found A2 much more difficult than AS
Reply 10
Original post by mja2106

When will they stop trying to make the course harder and just add more content? They don't even teach moment of inertia and in Edexcel mentioned Stokes Law without any mention of the fact that it only applied to slow moving spheres leaving us to try using it on a falling human and wondering why it didn't work. I actually learned more physics at the local library after leaving sixth form than I learned in sixth form.
Reply 11
Original post by Plutonian
When will they stop trying to make the course harder and just add more content? They don't even teach moment of inertia and in Edexcel mentioned Stokes Law without any mention of the fact that it only applied to slow moving spheres leaving us to try using it on a falling human and wondering why it didn't work. I actually learned more physics at the local library after leaving sixth form than I learned in sixth form.

Were you expected to model the human as a particle? It sounds like a terrible model but then I can't imagine them asking you to model the way a fluid flows around a person at a level

Quick Reply

Latest