The Student Room Group

Should all a-level students do the same board?

This poll is closed

Should all A-level students take exams set by the same board?

Yes 77%
No 8%
Will it really matter? 13%
This is just an excuse for poor results3%
Total votes: 79
I personally think so.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ooops can a moderator please make the poll public ( i.e not hidden) :smile: thanks
Reply 3

I have just realised how unfair it is.

Forexample : OCR chemistry f324-the same unit for AQA and Edexcel was much much easier in comparison.
Reply 4
bump
Yes, definitely. It would be much fairer. Whilst they try to standardise the boards, it obviously isn't going to be completely fair.
I think that it's pretty stupid for there to be multiple boards, I think that all exams should be the same for everyone as that would give a better overview of how people compare to each other.
Reply 7
Original post by wightsnowolf
I think that it's pretty stupid for there to be multiple boards, I think that all exams should be the same for everyone as that would give a better overview of how people compare to each other.

Yes!
Reply 8
Also, I think schools shouldn't concentrate on teaching specifications from one exam board, I think it should be u pto the student to choose which exam board to pick!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by games211
Also, I think schools shouldn't concentrate on teaching specifications from one exam board, I think it should be up to the student to choose which exam board to pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That just is not possible. Just using the main three exam boards if you have a class split into 3 sections each wanting a different exam board it just isn't possible to teach them all. You would end up teaching irrelevant information to different people to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. There would be triple the amount of practicals to be done (in the current system), different topics taught at different times, different requirements in the course. Completely unfeasible.
Reply 10
Original post by Munrot07
That just is not possible. Just using the main three exam boards if you have a class split into 3 sections each wanting a different exam board it just isn't possible to teach them all. You would end up teaching irrelevant information to different people to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. There would be triple the amount of practicals to be done (in the current system), different topics taught at different times, different requirements in the course. Completely unfeasible.

True but the items in bold justifies why having three different exam boards is unfair.
True but the items in bold justifies why having three different exam boards is unfair.

I'm not against having one exam board...in fact I think it would be a great idea (just from a teaching perspective it helps...If a teacher is used to one exam board they will have to teach themselves new bits if they go to a school that wants them to teach a different one).

However what you suggested would make the already not ideal situation far worse.
Reply 12
I'm not against having one exam board...in fact I think it would be a great idea (just from a teaching perspective it helps...If a teacher is used to one exam board they will have to teach themselves new bits if they go to a school that wants them to teach a different one).

However what you suggested would make the already not ideal situation far worse.

But how long will that take? Would you be comfortable being in that class where the teacher has no idea of the current spec because they are used to another one?
The Government (well Mr Gove actually) tried to introduce one board for GCSE English and Maths - it wasn't allowed as the exam boards claimed 'restraint of trade' as whoever won the contract would make the other two bankrupt.
But how long will that take? Would you be comfortable being in that class where the teacher has no idea of the current spec because they are used to another one?

I think you missed the point of my post...I'm agreeing with you...I'm saying that having multiple exam boards is bad for teachers as they have to learn new ones which therefore impacts students this one exam board is better...
Reply 15
I think you missed the point of my post...I'm agreeing with you...I'm saying that having multiple exam boards is bad for teachers as they have to learn new ones which therefore impacts students this one exam board is better...

oh yeah loool I thought you were referring to the great idea lool sorry :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
The Government (well Mr Gove actually) tried to introduce one board for GCSE English and Maths - it wasn't allowed as the exam boards claimed 'restraint of trade' as whoever won the contract would make the other two bankrupt.

LOOOOOOOL I am done!
oh yeah loool I thought you were referring to the great idea lool sorry :smile:

Nah...I really think one exam board would be a great idea for both students and teachers (and since I want to be a teacher and I do currently tutor I know how annoying different exam boards are).
Can someone un private the poll results!!
Reply 19
Nah...I really think one exam board would be a great idea for both students and teachers (and since I want to be a teacher and I do currently tutor I know how annoying different exam boards are).

Since you tutor would you be able to rank exam boards, say for biology, from easiest to hardest ( in your opinion)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending