The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xertyl
Hi

I am a second year(third year in september) biomedical sciences student, with a high 2:1 average and prediction. I'm gonna be sitting the UKCAT soon, and have done a fair bit of work experience. I'm definitely applying to imperial, anyone else?

As far as i'm aware, you have to sit the BMAT to apply to Imperial and (this may be completely wrong) Imperial have recently changed the funding so that you have to pay your tuition fees yourself..
Reply 981
Original post by sampowell92
As far as i'm aware, you have to sit the BMAT to apply to Imperial and (this may be completely wrong) Imperial have recently changed the funding so that you have to pay your tuition fees yourself..

Yeah I'm sort of gambling on the BMAT, and I hope because of the tuition fees, there will be less applicants. I do think it's an amazing uni in one of the best locations
I graduated in 2014 so if I get in this year, I'll be 23 when I start.

Are any graduates applying for 5 year courses?
Do you have a higher chance of getting an interview for a 5 year course as a graduate?
Original post by EssBee_92

Do you have a higher chance of getting an interview for a 5 year course as a graduate?

I'm exactly the same age as you! Graduated 2014 with 2.1 in physiology. I am applying to Manchester 5 year. Depends on my UKCAT to determine the other 2. In applying to Liverpool 4 year also but my gamsat mark is touch and go if it is high enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same age too, although I only just graduated (I did a 4 year course) :smile:

I'm applying to one 5 year course in the hope that this will be slightly easier than the gem ones.
Hey!
I recently graduated with a 2.1 in medical engineering and I've decided to go for it & apply this year. Only I think I'm lacking work experience...
I've done 4 weeks at a GP's, Cancer research charity shop for 2 months and I'm trying to get some voluntary work at a care home but the DBS is killing me!
Reading through this thread and seeing that people have got months, if not years of experience is really making me doubt myself... :/
Hi. Does anyone know how many Graduate entry Medicine places there are at St Georges and Liverpool?

How do these two universities shortlist applicants for interview? Do they use academic performance of students in the shortlisting process? If they use thresholds for GAMSAT, what were the minimum scores in the last few years?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by szasurgeongal
Hey!
I recently graduated with a 2.1 in medical engineering and I've decided to go for it & apply this year. Only I think I'm lacking work experience...
I've done 4 weeks at a GP's, Cancer research charity shop for 2 months and I'm trying to get some voluntary work at a care home but the DBS is killing me!
Reading through this thread and seeing that people have got months, if not years of experience is really making me doubt myself... :/

Apparently it's not the quantity of the work experience that counts, it's how well you can reflect on it during an interview... Plenty of people have got into GEM with only a couple of weeks of work experience
Original post by HCAssistant93
I'm exactly the same age as you! Graduated 2014 with 2.1 in physiology. I am applying to Manchester 5 year. Depends on my UKCAT to determine the other 2. In applying to Liverpool 4 year also but my gamsat mark is touch and go if it is high enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Warwick and Liverpool definitely and either Barts and Southampton or Barts or Southampton and one 5 year course if that makes any sense.
I have applied for medicine previously and I just want to apply smart this year to maximise my chances of interviews.
I contacted Liverpool and they said their cut off last year was 55, I got 60 in March so I hope that will be enough this year.
Have you sat the GAMSAT or are you sitting it in september?
I'm applying to Warwick and Liverpool definitely and either Barts and Southampton or Barts or Southampton and one 5 year course if that makes any sense.
I have applied for medicine previously and I just want to apply smart this year to maximise my chances of interviews.
I contacted Liverpool and they said their cut off last year was 55, I got 60 in March so I hope that will be enough this year.
Have you sat the GAMSAT or are you sitting it in september?

I am same as you, want to maximise my chances this time round. I sat in March and got 55 which is why I'm not sure if it'll be high enough. If the boundary doesn't change then I'll be ok hopefully but it is a risk. You'll be ok with 60! Have you looked at Swansea as well because they're gamsat cut off is lower. What's Warwicks cut off usually?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
I'm the same age too, although I only just graduated (I did a 4 year course) :smile:

I'm applying to one 5 year course in the hope that this will be slightly easier than the gem ones.

What did you study? :smile:
I might also put one 5 year choice down but unsure about which one yet. Which 5 year courses are you considering?
I am same as you, want to maximise my chances this time round. I sat in March and got 55 which is why I'm not sure if it'll be high enough. If the boundary doesn't change then I'll be ok hopefully but it is a risk. You'll be ok with 60! Have you looked at Swansea as well because they're gamsat cut off is lower. What's Warwicks cut off usually?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since they only take science graduates, I hope the cut off stays around that mark but you're right its risky because you can't predict anything!
I haven't looked into Swansea properly yet, but I think I prefer Liverpool in terms of location.
Warwicks cut off last year with just an undergraduate degree was 700ish I think but because there is no mid-testing report being released this year we will be applying blind because it might be another year like 2013 when the cutoffs were all higher. :s-smilie:
Original post by tanishasharma
Hi. Does anyone know how many Graduate entry Medicine places there are at St Georges and Liverpool?

How do these two universities shortlist applicants for interview? Do they use academic performance of students in the shortlisting process? If they use thresholds for GAMSAT, what were the minimum scores in the last few years?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know anything about St Georges because I ruled it out straight away with my GAMSAT score but Liverpools GAMSAT cut off last year was 55 with a minimum of 50 in each section. I haven't found out how they shortlist applications yet. I think they have 30 places.
I don't know anything about St Georges because I ruled it out straight away with my GAMSAT score but Liverpools GAMSAT cut off last year was 55 with a minimum of 50 in each section. I haven't found out how they shortlist applications yet. I think they have 30 places.

They have 29 places I think. But I don't know how they select for interview once you reach their cut off for gamsat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since they only take science graduates, I hope the cut off stays around that mark but you're right its risky because you can't predict anything!
I haven't looked into Swansea properly yet, but I think I prefer Liverpool in terms of location.
Warwicks cut off last year with just an undergraduate degree was 700ish I think but because there is no mid-testing report being released this year we will be applying blind because it might be another year like 2013 when the cutoffs were all higher. :s-smilie:

Your mark should be ok! My mark is risky. Ye it is unfortunate. I probably won't apply to Wawrick unless I get 725+ do think that's wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you study? :smile:
I might also put one 5 year choice down but unsure about which one yet. Which 5 year courses are you considering?

I did Medical Science with a year in industry :smile: how about you?

I'm going to apply to Sheffield for their 5 year as then I can live at home etc.
Your mark should be ok! My mark is risky. Ye it is unfortunate. I probably won't apply to Wawrick unless I get 725+ do think that's wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so but you should just wait and see with your UKCAT. When is your exam?
I have had such mixed results with UKCAT but somehow I got 767.5 this year so if you can secure a good UKCAT score you can select mostly/all UKCAT unis.
Reply 997
Hope so but you should just wait and see with your UKCAT. When is your exam?
I have had such mixed results with UKCAT but somehow I got 767.5 this year so if you can secure a good UKCAT score you can select mostly/all UKCAT unis.

Your score is great - are you not going to apply to Newcastle with that score?
Can I ask what resources you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
I did Medical Science with a year in industry :smile: how about you?

I'm going to apply to Sheffield for their 5 year as then I can live at home etc.

I studied biomedical science and I lived at home to work/save for medical school.
I'm looking at Keele, Manchester, Leicester, Sheffield UEA and Hull York as potential 5 year choices. Sheffield would be great if you can live at home! My nearest medical school is Birmingham and I meet none of their requirements lol.
Original post by tw781
Your score is great - are you not going to apply to Newcastle with that score?
Can I ask what resources you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that Newcastle had a really high cut off like Kings so it makes sense to choose med schools whose cut offs I'm far more likely to meet.

600Q book, UKCAT for dummies, medify, and the kaplan score higher book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending