The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clive Bixby
Hello guys, is it common that offers are given with grades specified for each subject (particularly for Medicine)?

I was given an offer of A*s in Biology and Chemistry, and As in Physics and Maths. I think it is likely that I get 3 A*s but not chem, missing the offer. I do think I am fairly close to the A* in chem - maybe 87% at worst. I still have a 20% probability of getting an A* in chem. Is anyone in a similar situation where they know they are going to miss their offer, but by only a bit? This middle waiting stage is so horrible D: Cambridge still seems so distant to me. :frown:

I guess I'm the same in that I'm not feeling too optimistic about meeting my offer, despite the fact that I'm fortunate enough to have medicine offer of A*A*A with no specific subject requirements! But then I doubt there are many people who are going to be really confident.

Mind if I ask what college this is for?

Also, if I am not mistaken, I have met the famous L'Evil Fish on Christ's open day... :biggrin: blonde, friendly, welsh accent and kinda tall. Idk lol, probably a coincidence.

@L'Evil Fish is blonde?!
Hello guys, is it common that offers are given with grades specified for each subject (particularly for Medicine)?

I was given an offer of A*s in Biology and Chemistry, and As in Physics and Maths. I think it is likely that I get 3 A*s but not chem, missing the offer. I do think I am fairly close to the A* in chem - maybe 87% at worst. I still have a 20% probability of getting an A* in chem. Is anyone in a similar situation where they know they are going to miss their offer, but by only a bit? This middle waiting stage is so horrible D: Cambridge still seems so distant to me. :frown:

Also, if I am not mistaken, I have met the famous L'Evil Fish on Christ's open day... :biggrin: blonde, friendly, welsh accent and kinda tall. Idk lol, probably a coincidence.

You should be let in with that tbh... I think they'd definitely be lenient if it was that, and if you were that close they'd be silly to reject you.

Unfortunately I don't think that was me :tongue: I only meet one (maybe two) of those criteria

Original post by Rhetorical Hips
I guess I'm the same in that I'm not feeling too optimistic about meeting my offer, despite the fact that I'm fortunate enough to have medicine offer of A*A*A with no specific subject requirements! But then I doubt there are many people who are going to be really confident.

@L'Evil Fish is blonde?!

Lmao, if I was blond I'd look very strange indeed.

@L'Evil Fish is blonde?!

It's for Sidney Sussex :smile: And yours?

Hahaha I think so, although I could be wrong.
Reply 2883
One moment I'm like "yeah looking back at it I should be getting 3 or 4A*s" the next I'm certain I'm going to Edinburgh (insurance) :frown:
Original post by Jasey
One moment I'm like "yeah looking back at it I should be getting 3 or 4A*s" the next I'm certain I'm going to Edinburgh (insurance) :frown:

Preach. I insuranced Durham as well, and it turns out that I'm not even guaranteed a room at my original college choice now - and also it is really expensive! Nerves building up.
Original post by Jasey

Same. Although, I probably wouldn't take my insurance as it's not Med so would have to take a gap year when all I really want to do is to start university.

What's your offer, if you don't mind me asking?
It's for Sidney Sussex :smile: And yours?

Hahaha I think so, although I could be wrong.

Gonville & Caius.

Same. Although, I probably wouldn't take my insurance as it's not Med so would have to take a gap year when all I really want to do is to start university.

Same, got no insurance :s-smilie:
Reply 2887

It's A*AA for Theology at Pembroke :smile: you? (Assuming medicine but which college haha)
Reply 2888
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Preach. I insuranced Durham as well, and it turns out that I'm not even guaranteed a room at my original college choice now - and also it is really expensive! Nerves building up.

Sigh this is agony, I'm just glad the days are flying by
Original post by Jasey
Sigh this is agony, I'm just glad the days are flying by

Same! My reading isn't, though.

Have you had a reading list? I know some people for STEM subjects have but I haven't heard anything, so I'm wondering if its just my subject.
Gonville & Caius.

Same, got no insurance :s-smilie:

:frown: I just REALLY hope we do enough to get in. Stats on Cambridge website show that about 1 in 18 don't get in so the chances are in our favour. Also, offer grades have gone up and people aren't allowed to retake exams (january ones) for the 2nd year so I think they will be ever so slightly more lenient than in the past. Though this is all conjecture so I know it's hard to be very optimistic.
Reply 2891
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Same! My reading isn't, though.

Have you had a reading list? I know some people for STEM subjects have but I haven't heard anything, so I'm wondering if its just my subject.

I haven't received a single reading list and hence have not read a single book. I'm assuming it'll come after results day...
Original post by Jasey
It's A*AA for Theology at Pembroke :smile: you? (Assuming medicine but which college haha)

Sidney Sussex :biggrin:
Original post by Jasey
I haven't received a single reading list and hence have not read a single book. I'm assuming it'll come after results day...

Oh good. I figured that too.

Hi! As an IB student I'm already in that position. Exceeded the total score requirement but missed the 6 in Physics by 0.1%. They've said they'll put me in the summer pool so I'm still hopeful. The trouble with vet med and medicine is the tight quota, but my logic is they already give out so few offers (for vet at least), that they must really want those they give offers to ^^ Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sound scarily like me... I have an offer for Medicine at Sidney Sussex too and it was specified, I hope they did that for everyone this year! I really don't think I'll get it in Biology so sounds like we'll be competing in the summer pool... good luck but also bad luck to you depending on results day:wink:
:frown: I just REALLY hope we do enough to get in. Stats on Cambridge website show that about 1 in 18 don't get in so the chances are in our favour. Also, offer grades have gone up and people aren't allowed to retake exams (january ones) for the 2nd year so I think they will be ever so slightly more lenient than in the past. Though this is all conjecture so I know it's hard to be very optimistic.

Also if you're using the stats that show the offers to acceptances ratio then you'll also have to take into account the fact that some people will actually have declined their offers (maybe they got into a top American university and preferred that) instead of not met them :smile:
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Hi! As an IB student I'm already in that position. Exceeded the total score requirement but missed the 6 in Physics by 0.1%. They've said they'll put me in the summer pool so I'm still hopeful. The trouble with vet med and medicine is the tight quota, but my logic is they already give out so few offers (for vet at least), that they must really want those they give offers to ^^ Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, only by 0.1%. I would have expected the college to accept you without the summer pool being involved. I didn't think they would think much of such a small difference. Thank you, and best of luck to you too! :smile:

Btw what college did you get the offer from, if you don't mind me asking?
Wow, only by 0.1%. I would have expected the college to accept you without the summer pool being involved. I didn't think they would think much of such a small difference. Thank you, and best of luck to you too! :smile:

Yeah, 'twas quite upsetting. I'm just in the lucky position as an IB student that I was able to get a remark way in advance of the Summer Pool, so they can already take the new "UMS" (I guess the percentage score and component breakdown is the equivalent of A-level UMS) and letters from my school and everything into account. They can't really let me in before the Summer Pool for vet because of the quota, plus they want to see how A-Levels did. And also, I was given an open offer so even if I had made the offer they would have needed to wait until after A-level results to decide what college I would actually end up going to. As of now, Queens' College is handling my file, but I could end up anywhere. What about you?

Oh, also, do you or does anyone else know how much they'll still take the BMAT into account? Just a tad worried that that'll be like a thorn in my side come August 14 ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending