The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
Vet Schools often will only consider a retake in one subject to raise it by one grade - ie. you originally got AAB and need AAA and because its a retake they will rank you lower than someone predicted/achieved AAA at first attempt. However, usually repeat applicants do better at interview - bit more mature/confident and already have an idea of what to expect.

This isn't the case for all vet schools (actually I think it's just Bristol that say that). From my personal experience, Edinburgh and Cambridge don't accept resits at all if they're outside of the 2 A Level years. RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool and Surrey all do (I know this because these are the four I applied to when resitting modules this year after a levels). I received more interviews and offers this year than first time round, and feel so much more ready to go to vet school now, so i'd definitely say resitting is a great thing if you're committed that veterinary is what you want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgeOHW
To those of you that have got an offer, what was your final application like (concerning work exp. quantity/areas and the grades you got) and where gave you an offer?
Thanks!

Look at my bio and you'll see what I got my place at Liverpool with

Posted from TSR Mobile
To those of you that have got an offer, what was your final application like (concerning work exp. quantity/areas and the grades you got) and where gave you an offer?
Thanks!

300 hours at a small animal vet clinic (I say the hours, cus 1 month doesn't do the 10 hour work day justice ^^), 1 month at a zoo - both in the Philippines - and then if you compute it approx. 60 hours at a German animal shelter. Did IB and got 43 (775) but was predicted 41 or 42. Got offers at Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Surrey. Where you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys
I'm in need of a large animal vet but im not sure where to look exactly...also does anyone know for sure of any small animal vet clinics in London who have space this august?? I've emailed so many so far and a lot have replied with they are fully booked!
any advice would be much appreciated
thank you
Does anyone know roughly how many people are on the waiting list for Surrey and the likelihood of getting on offer on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
Hi guys
I'm in need of a large animal vet but im not sure where to look exactly...also does anyone know for sure of any small animal vet clinics in London who have space this august?? I've emailed so many so far and a lot have replied with they are fully booked!
thank you

Get onto google to find ones around you. Unfortunately you will struggle for August /September now because you'll have not only applicants going for work experience but vet students going for their ems. Regarding large animal practices, where are you wanting? London? Or are you willing to travel elsewhere for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
Hi guys
thank you

Try the RCVS Find a Vet service. If you are based around London it's likely that you will have to travel; though if you ask many practices will have someone willing to give a room to you for a week.. often at a lower price than local B&B's. I would also say that (even though it's scarier!) you do get better results by ringing them up rather than emailing - I think it adds a level of seriousness to your request. As a work experience you will struggle to be taken seriously by members of staff, it might even be worth your while turning up and personally asking… whatever gives the impression that you want it! My personal story of pre-vet WEX was getting a lab placement… I rang up every week for about 8 weeks where the manager was either away or 'busy'… eventually the manager rang me, she knew I had been trying hard and gave me a week 'for sheer persistence'. The worst they can say is no!
Original post by lauren_97
Does anyone know roughly how many people are on the waiting list for Surrey and the likelihood of getting on offer on results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't speak for Surrey, but generally speaking, getting an offer on results day from any uni is rare and I would have to say that expecting to be disappointed is a realistic outcome. However, I know people (a small number) who have gotten in by this method so it is definitely worth giving a go… you might be lucky!
Thanks!

I did 8 weeks and 1 day of work experience, including SA and LA vet, lambing, canine, equine and bovine husbandry, and exotics/wildlife. I got AAABB at AS (with a B in Chemistry) and an A* in a vet related EPQ. I got interviews at Glasgow and the RVC, and am holding an RVC offer of AAA. Hope that helps!
Original post by ShellySpielberg
300 hours at a small animal vet clinic (I say the hours, cus 1 month doesn't do the 10 hour work day justice ^^), 1 month at a zoo - both in the Philippines - and then if you compute it approx. 60 hours at a German animal shelter. Did IB and got 43 (775) but was predicted 41 or 42. Got offers at Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Surrey. Where you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! Really helpful! I'm applying to London, Liverpool, Nottingham & Edinburgh. At the moment my predicted grades stand at AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Geography (however I'm hoping that my Chemistry might be raised to an A* on results day if I get higher than 270 UMS, however also worried my Geography might be lowered to a B as I feel I underperformed in the exam) (GCSE's were 5 A*'s, 3 A's & 2 B's but were a mix of IGCSE and GCSE) and concerning work experience I've got -

Farm -
Lambing - 2 weeks
Pigs - 1 week
Dairy - 1/2 week
Abattoir - 1 day
Poultry Slaughterhouse - 1 day

Surgery -
Small Animal Hospital - 1 1/2 weeks
Mixed Animal Clinic/Visits - 3 1/2 weeks

Equine -
Equine Hospital - 1 day
Emergency Racecourse Vet - 1 day
Livery Yard - 1 week
Shire Horse Centre - 1 week

Domestic -
Kennels & Cattery - 2 weeks
Rescue Shelter - 1 week

Other -
Animal Science/Testing Laboratory - 1/2 week
Pharmacist - 1 day

Its a bit of a mish'mash of work experience but I aimed for variety.

On the end of this I've been completing various courses and diplomas online in Animal Psychology/Animal Welfare/Animal Behaviour, did anyone else do any of these and did the universities take any notice?

And concerning extra curricular I've played in my schools 1st 11 boys hockey team for the past year and a half. Alongside this I've got my Duke of Edinburgh Award and various other qualifications (Lifeguarding, Marine Mammal Medic etc.)

Sorry about such a long message but does this seem on-par/close to the people of your year who achieved an offer?

Thankyou!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mollyvet
I did 8 weeks and 1 day of work experience, including SA and LA vet, lambing, canine, equine and bovine husbandry, and exotics/wildlife. I got AAABB at AS (with a B in Chemistry) and an A* in a vet related EPQ. I got interviews at Glasgow and the RVC, and am holding an RVC offer of AAA. Hope that helps!

I'm jealous of your offer from London! Thats my current first choice! And what does "holding an offer" mean? Sorry, I haven't come to all this bit yet so don't understand what all the terms mean!
Thanks!
Reply 7291
Thanks so much! Really helpful! I'm applying to London, Liverpool, Nottingham & Edinburgh. At the moment my predicted grades stand at AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Geography (however I'm hoping that my Chemistry might be raised to an A* on results day if I get higher than 270 UMS, however also worried my Geography might be lowered to a B as I feel I underperformed in the exam) (GCSE's were 5 A*'s, 3 A's & 2 B's but were a mix of IGCSE and GCSE) and concerning work experience I've got -

Farm -
Lambing - 2 weeks
Pigs - 1 week
Dairy - 1/2 week
Abattoir - 1 day

Surgery -

Equine -
Equine Hospital - 1 day
Livery Yard - 1 week

Domestic -
Rescue Shelter - 1 week

Other -
Pharmacist - 1 day

On the end of this I've been completing various courses and diplomas online in Animal Psychology/Animal Welfare/Animal Behaviour, did anyone else do any of these and did the universities take any notice?

And concerning extra curricular I've played in my schools 1st 11 boys hockey team for the past year and a half. Alongside this I've got my Duke of Edinburgh Award and various other qualifications (Lifeguarding, Marine Mammal Medic etc.)

Sorry about such a long message but does this seem on-par/close to the people of your year who achieved an offer?

Thankyou!

its all fine assuming your gsce's ok as well

you will need 3 As of course

your work experience is fine but not for Liverpool in my opinion/experience

a lot of people on tsr will be anxious about results day so would got to tsr 2016 for further enquiries

Farm -
Lambing - 2 weeks
Pigs - 1 week
Dairy - 1/2 week
Abattoir - 1 day

Surgery -

Equine -
Equine Hospital - 1 day
Livery Yard - 1 week

Domestic -
Rescue Shelter - 1 week

Other -
Pharmacist - 1 day

Thankyou!

Your work experience is brilliant, however, when you fill in the Liverpool WEX questionnaire, you need to aim for 19+ weeks as that's generally the number most applicants have, and because your experience in quite a fair amount of them are only a day, you won't reach the 19 weeks. I would aim to try and get the others up to a full week rather than one day by the time you apply. For the other universities your WEX is fine, but Liverpool in my opinion you need more.

Good job on getting the wide variety though, that will look amazing, and gives you plenty to talk about in your PS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks!

I got 11 weeks total - three weeks in two different small animal practices, one week large animal vets, one week in a vet lab, one week dairy/ lambing, one week lambing/ calving, one week kennels/ cattery, one week in a pet shop, one week at a stables and one week at a poultry farm. I got offers from Cambridge and Bristol, and also got an interview from Liverpool (was rejected post-interview). 😊
Thanks!

I was a resitter this year so my grades were
A levels:
Biology- A
Geography- B (resat as modules this year & predicted A/A*)
Chemistry- predicted A (but might be a B :frown:)
General studies- B
AS levels:
Physics-E
Geology- predicted A
EPQ- A*
then work experience was:
Farm:
8 days lambing (incomplete due to illness)
4 days dairy
5 days organicdairy
5 days pig farm
7 months working Saturdays in a riding stable
Vet:
3 weeks mixed
1 week SA
other: 3 months volunteering on Saturdays at the RSPCA (I'm still there a year on& put that in my PS/questionnaire)
Some other things i did/extra curricular: 2 online courses, one on pharmacology & one on farm animal welfare
Grade 7 violin
3rd kyu brown belt in karate
Sports leaders award
I had interviews at Surrey, RVC& Nottingham & have offers from RVC & Nottingham 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by laurensmiley97
I got 11 weeks total - three weeks in two different small animal practices, one week large animal vets, one week in a vet lab, one week dairy/ lambing, one week lambing/ calving, one week kennels/ cattery, one week in a pet shop, one week at a stables and one week at a poultry farm. I got offers from Cambridge and Bristol, and also got an interview from Liverpool (was rejected post-interview). 😊

Well done on the offers! Looks like you covered loads on your work/exp in 11 weeks. How did you do in your GCSE's & AS levels, if you don't mind me asking?! Thanks
Thanks!

I've got my info at the bottom of my profile. Got into RVC, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bristol.
I'm jealous of your offer from London! Thats my current first choice! And what does "holding an offer" mean? Sorry, I haven't come to all this bit yet so don't understand what all the terms mean!
Thanks!

I'm really excited! My initial first choice was Glasgow, but I fell in love with the RVC over the course of the application cycle...hope I get in now then! Yeah, don't worry about it! It is confusing and everyone uses different vocab...for me, it means that I have an offer but I haven't yet met the terms of it (eg. need to go through the hell of results day first!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Message to anyone not waiting for A level/SQA/Irish Higher/Welsh Bac results ......

If you have not heard from your F&I University that they have either accepted or rejected you, or that you are 'on Hold' as a near-miss, this may mean that they have not received your exam results. This is especially true for all graduates, Access to HE, some overseas IB, EB and FB, and Hong Kong/Singapore results but may also apply to some Home IB and BTEC who for some reason did not have their results sent through to UCAS

If you are taking an exam where results have already been published and you have heard nothing from your Unis, then you should email them with a scan of your formal results slip or a screen shot from the appropriate website. Don't forget to include your UCAS id in the email.

If you havn't told them by A level results Day (13 August) you run the risk of missing consideration for a near-miss place - and if you leave it beyond 31 August you will simply be Rejected.

Do not assume your school or anyone else has told your Unis - or that the Unis will chase you for the results. This is your responsibility!
Original post by wiseowly
Well done on the offers! Looks like you covered loads on your work/exp in 11 weeks. How did you do in your GCSE's & AS levels, if you don't mind me asking?! Thanks

Thank you! In my GCSEs I got seven A*s and one A, and last year I got four As in my ASs plus an A in a full A level (I did the corresponding AS in year 11)😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending