The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxblue
I go to SOAS, UOL. Thank you, do you personally think I should even bother applying to VS. I really do think that my alevel grades will let me down, advice?

I averaged a low 2:1 in my first year, with 58% in contract. I still got a couple of vac scheme offers this year, as well as interviews at others - all top City firms. So based on your first year grades alone, it's not impossible. Your A-Levels will be more difficult because the vast majority of London firms require AAB minimum; without them it is likely your application won't even be read. Take some time to research those who don't specify such a requirement, or speak to representatives personally at open days and law fairs to ask if they would we willing to consider an applicant with lower grades than the required.
Original post by pasdesdeux
I averaged a low 2:1 in my first year, with 58% in contract. I still got a couple of vac scheme offers this year, as well as interviews at others - all top City firms. So based on your first year grades alone, it's not impossible. Your A-Levels will be more difficult because the vast majority of London firms require AAB minimum; without them it is likely your application won't even be read. Take some time to research those who don't specify such a requirement, or speak to representatives personally at open days and law fairs to ask if they would we willing to consider an applicant with lower grades than the required.

I will do, thank you for you advice :smile:)
Original post by pasdesdeux

Do you know any law firms who do not have these type of alevel constraints?
Original post by xxblue
Do you know any law firms who do not have these type of alevel constraints?

Macfarlanes don't have a particular a level constraint as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone from Weightmans vac scheme heard about beng successful in securing a place on the assessment centre?
Bit of a silly question:
Has competition for training contracts generally been improving recently (I.e the last couple of years or so). By improving I mean getting less competitive of course! How do you see it looking in around five years (better/worse situation?)
Also, Ive asked this before and got given great answers but might as well ask again:
Would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put them off wanting to be a solicitor, even if they go to an RG uni?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxblue
Any advice please thanks in advance

My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by oli19919
Bit of a silly question:
Has competition for training contracts generally been improving recently (I.e the last couple of years or so). By improving I mean getting less competitive of course! How do you see it looking in around five years (better/worse situation?)
Also, Ive asked this before and got given great answers but might as well ask again:
Would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put them off wanting to be a solicitor, even if they go to an RG uni?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What stage are you at? Competition is getting even more fierce with each passing year: there are candidates who might not get it one year who would apply the next in addition to the newly eligible candidates. I don't think competition in itself is a good reason not to try however, everything worth having is going to be contested.

If the competition is enough to put a prospective candidate off, perhaps it was never the right choice for them...nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by narusku
My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS with Macs, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This gives me hope, thank you soo much. Macs as in macfarlanes? So do you think my primary focus now should be building up my experience and making sure I am averaging a good 2:1 each year or? Did you get your tc with the same law firm you completed your vs with? Welll done and good luck for the future :smile:
Original post by narusku
My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS with Macs, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to get a vs with addleshaw and goddard, Have you done a vs with them before?
Original post by J-SP
That isn't quite true. Application numbers have dropped and the talent pool in many ways has become smaller.

People like to assume law is uber competitive, but it actually has one of the lowest applications per place ratio (on average) than many other sectors. However what that doesn't take into the account is the quality of those applications, but even so it isn't this crazy competitive entry point that every one like to make out it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Numbers have dropped? I'm sorry but I just cannot believe that to be the truth.

These application figures which you use to make your claim, do they reflect those who apply year-on-year before settling on another role? Those who actually have to stop because they have tried for a number of rounds but to no avail?

From the sound of it, you're pushing that if someone wants a TC then there'll always be a TC to be got.

The talent pool has become smaller? In what ways?

Even if one were to accept that applications per place were lower than some other sectors - does that mean that the profession is not competitive?
Good luck to all of those waiting on hearing from the GLD!
Hey guys, just a few questions.

Firstly let me introduce myself. I finished my first year at Exeter studying law achieving 66%. I know loads of websites (allaboutlaw, legal cheek, lex100 etc) have tips for applying for VS's, but a question to any of you guys who got a VS is what would you recommend doing when applying? I really want to aim for magic circle, with A&O and Freshfields being my top choices, is there anything outside the box you would recommend?

Many thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5533
Hi, I have an AC with Burges Salmon on Monday. Is there anyone who has already done this who is able to give any hints on what to expect? thanks
Anyone know of anyone who has applied direct to pinsent masons (no vs) and got an ac? Regions specifically... I think the ac's are this week - ish...
Reply 5535
When writing applications and talking about work experience, would you tailor what you write to the specific firm or is what you write meant to be more general there?
Original post by Pinknightiegirl
Anyone know of anyone who has applied direct to pinsent masons (no vs) and got an ac? Regions specifically... I think the ac's are this week - ish...

Yeah, if you look on 'Training Contracts 2017' there seem to be a few people who have ACs from direct applications.
Has anyone here done the Hogan Lovells spring vac scheme and then reapplied to the summer scheme? Alternatively, is it better to just apply for a direct TC having done that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone else still waiting on Eversheds post-vac scheme?
has anyone done the addleshaw-goddard summer vac? could you please tell me how the application process was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending