The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

"If you're not a Feminist, you're against equality"

I was at a restaurant with some friends and their mutual friends last night, and a couple of them I was in conversation with started talking about inequality and Feminism. They asked me what I thought and if I was a Feminist myself and I said no, but I'm totally for equality for all and consider myself a strong Liberal.

You can't imagine the uproar. They told me I wasn't for equality because I'm not a Feminist. They said stuff like I want women to fail in life and whatever.

I told them this is why I couldn't date a Feminist, because they'd always see me as the enemy when I'm a friend.

Why is it that Feminists in general see it as bad that I'm not one?

Scroll to see replies

Because you're saying you're not something you are.
Original post by ivybridge
Because you're saying you're not something you are.

But why do I have to be considered a Feminist when I don't want to? Like I consider myself an Egalitarian, not a Feminist. I don't want to be sucked into it.
Original post by VotreAltesse
But why do I have to be considered a Feminist when I don't want to? Like I consider myself an Egalitarian, not a Feminist. I don't want to be sucked into it.

You support womens rights which makes you a feminist? :s-smilie:
You support womens rights which makes you a feminist? :s-smilie:

Aha! well you see I don't just support women's rights, I support male rights and gay rights ... so I'm an Egalitarian, not a Feminist :smile:
Reply 5
Yes feminists are vile. This is typical feminist behaviour. Feminism is not about equality, it is a self serving agenda.
Aha! well you see I don't just support women's rights, I support male rights and gay rights ... so I'm an Egalitarian, not a Feminist :smile:

Indeed you are but if you break it down you are a Feminist and whatever the titles are for the other two :smile:
Original post by slade p
Yes feminists are vile. This is typical feminist behaviour. Feminism is not about equality, it is a self serving agenda.

I don't know about 'vile', but they definitely are quite sectarian.
Indeed you are but if you break it down you are a Feminist and whatever the titles are for the other two :smile:

You do know Feminists are the first to have promoted equality, right?

That in mind I'm Egalitarian before anything else you choose to force on me.
Reply 9
I don't know about 'vile', but they definitely are quite sectarian.

Feminists are very unfeminine women. Would you date a feminist?
You do know Feminists are the first to have promoted equality, right?

That in mind I'm Egalitarian before anything else you choose to force on me.

I "choose to force on" you? What are you on about? :lol:
I "choose to force on" you? What are you on about? :lol:

I think he means (and do correct me if I'm wrong) that feminism does not have a monopoly on equality. It is perfectly possible to believe in equality and work towards equality without identifying with a movement that has done some horrendous things in its name, and without wanting to be associated with it.

He doesn't consider himself a feminist, so you shouldn't make him identify as one. It would be like calling everyone a Christian if they believed in God, ignoring the other theistic religions.
Original post by slade p
Feminists are very unfeminine women. Would you date a feminist?

Actually all the women I've dated who turned out to be Feminists have been quite feminine. I wouldn't date a Feminist any more ... too much of a hassle lol!
Original post by slade p

But this isn't true. The whole point of feminism is achieving equal rights for women and men's liberation - i.e. deconstructing gender roles. For you to even suggest that it's 'vile' or a 'self-serving agenda' shows how ignorant you are of the issue and what little understanding you have on it. If you actually knew what feminism was without falsely believing the crap of 'feminists think women are better than men', your view would be a lot different
OP, being a feminist is not a dirty word. By definition if you believe in equal rights for women you are a feminist. Yes you can say you're an egalitarian as you believe in equal rights for all, but believing in equal rights for women falls under being a feminist. why is that a problem?
Original post by TheTechN1304
OP, being a feminist is not a dirty word. By definition if you believe in equal rights for women you are a feminist. Yes you can say you're an egalitarian as you believe in equal rights for all, but believing in equal rights for women falls under being a feminist. why is that a problem?

I believe in rights for everyone so I'm egalitarian. I think we can establish that now.
These women are clearly militants who believe that in an absolutist view that your either with them or against them.

I myself support the concept of feminism (equality under the law) however I would never associate myself with the modern mainstream movement which is full of militant feminazi's.
Original post by Rakas21
These women are clearly militants who believe that in an absolutist view that your either with them or against them.

I myself support the concept of feminism (equality under the law) however I would never associate myself with the modern mainstream movement which is full of militant feminazi's.

My exact thoughts.
You can not be both feminist and a decent kind polite thoughtful nice friendly fun human being. Theyre mutually exclusive
Original post by TheTechN1304
But this isn't true. The whole point of feminism is achieving equal rights for women and men's liberation - i.e. deconstructing gender roles. For you to even suggest that it's 'vile' or a 'self-serving agenda' shows how ignorant you are of the issue and what little understanding you have on it. If you actually knew what feminism was without falsely believing the crap of 'feminists think women are better than men', your view would be a lot different

While I'm all for women being soldiers and men being ballet dancers, the destruction of gender norms is one of the reasons I won't associate myself with the movement. I'm quite happy that women are feminine and men are masculine and I feel that feminists go too far with their goals of a genderless society.

Latest

Trending

Trending