The Student Room Group

Latin/Economics/Spanish at A Level?

Hi guys!

So I'm taking History/Latin/Spanish/Economics at A Level, and was hoping that if any of you had already taken these subjects you could give me some tips and advice? I've already seen threads with history, so I guess I'm more keen to hear your thoughts about the other subjects. :smile:

Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Ah, I thought I had - but thank you!
Reply 3
Sorry this is a bit belated but just had to say that you're doing exactly the same as me (with the exception of Spanish as I'm doing French)! Think our combo has to be one of the most eclectic out there what with the Latin...:tongue:
Original post by roarchika
Hi guys!

So I'm taking History/Latin/Spanish/Economics at A Level, and was hoping that if any of you had already taken these subjects you could give me some tips and advice? I've already seen threads with history, so I guess I'm more keen to hear your thoughts about the other subjects. :smile:

Thank you!

I did History and Economics (both Edexcel). Both subjects are fairly simple if you work hard, and if you can remember the structure for answers (especially for History and the Unit 2 essays for Econ). I would reccomend having a quick look through some of the definitions you're going to need for Economics, as they are fairly simple and can often gain you one or two marks per question. For History I would make sure that you take detailed notes, as there is lot to remember for the AS exams seeing as you will be studying three different periods, or at least three different topics (I did Korea/Vietnam and Civil Rights for Unit 1, which meant that there was a slight amount of crossover, but not much.) This also counts for Unit 2, as although it is said to be the source based paper, 24/60 marks are awarded for own knowledge.
Reply 5
Original post by tommyprice5
I did History and Economics (both Edexcel). Both subjects are fairly simple if you work hard, and if you can remember the structure for answers (especially for History and the Unit 2 essays for Econ). I would reccomend having a quick look through some of the definitions you're going to need for Economics, as they are fairly simple and can often gain you one or two marks per question. For History I would make sure that you take detailed notes, as there is lot to remember for the AS exams seeing as you will be studying three different periods, or at least three different topics (I did Korea/Vietnam and Civil Rights for Unit 1, which meant that there was a slight amount of crossover, but not much.) This also counts for Unit 2, as although it is said to be the source based paper, 24/60 marks are awarded for own knowledge.

Ahh, thank you so much! I've already made a list of the definitions I've been told I'll need for Economics, so I suppose I'll start learning those before summer ends. Detailed notes aren't a problem for me, although I think we're just studying the Tudors and the French Revolution next year? I guess those are more things the reforms effect :/.
Original post by roarchika
Ahh, thank you so much! I've already made a list of the definitions I've been told I'll need for Economics, so I suppose I'll start learning those before summer ends. Detailed notes aren't a problem for me, although I think we're just studying the Tudors and the French Revolution next year? I guess those are more things the reforms effect :/.

I think it depends on the exam board. For Edexcel History Option D, which is what I did, Unit 1 is two 30 mark essays on two different aspects of History, and then Unit 2 is a source paper centred around one period, although it is a much longer stretch of time (For example, Civil Rights in Unit 1 covers about 20ish years, Britain in India in Unit 2 covers just under 50 years). So they could just be doing one period per paper, and just making them longer
Reply 7
Original post by tommyprice5
I think it depends on the exam board. For Edexcel History Option D, which is what I did, Unit 1 is two 30 mark essays on two different aspects of History, and then Unit 2 is a source paper centred around one period, although it is a much longer stretch of time (For example, Civil Rights in Unit 1 covers about 20ish years, Britain in India in Unit 2 covers just under 50 years). So they could just be doing one period per paper, and just making them longer

Ah, okay. I...believe I'm doing OCR History? Which might be why, yeah. Both of my units are similar lengths of time, though I think in year 13 we'll be doing a breadth study. Everything is very confusing and slightly terrifying with the reforms and nobody quite knowing what's going on :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest