The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Giroud needs a big game vs Chelsea tbh, not necessarily a goal but he needs to win a few 50/50s vs Terry and influence the play because his record against them is nothing short of shocking.

Walcott has a very nice record vs Chelsea though so I'd expect him to be the goal-scorer if anyone, especially with Chelsea inevitably sitting deep we'll need width.

Santi and Ramsey shouldnt be shy about shooting from distance too.

Can't remember the last aerial duel that Cahill-Terry lost. Best to drag the CBs wide, pass it back, shoot long
Original post by Zürich
We really going with Bellerin over Debuchy? Hazard will make minced meat out of him

How is this a thing?

We have three players in our squad tomorrow capable of keeping up with Hazard: Walcott, Ox and Bellerin.

Why would you rather play a 30 y/o who, may have been unjustly ****ed up by injuries, but lost his starting spot because of Hector's crazy breakthrough season?
Original post by shawn_o1
Can't remember the last aerial duel that Cahill-Terry lost. Best to drag the CBs wide, pass it back, shoot long

Cahill and Costa are out afaik.
It's not about keeping up with Hazard, it making sure you don't get skinned in the first place. Debuchy is a better defender than Bellerin. If he plays more defensive minded at RB he has a good chance of limiting Hazard's effect.
Original post by Stalin
Cech
Bellerin Mert Kos Monreal
Coquelin Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Ox
Giroud

Not sure if they're all fit, but ideally this. I'd like to see Santi and Wilshere come on for Ozil and Ramsey around the 60 mins mark, and perhaps Akpom for Giroud with 15-20 mins to go.

If Ramsey/Wilshere starts on the wing tomorrow.....

Would like to see Theo starting tomorrow and Jack on the pitch too, lick them rentboys down with a 3-1 win.
Tracking back not even once with that team :laugh:
Haven't scored against us for 2 and a half years multiplied by haven't bought any new attacking players since last season plus missing best attacking player = going to score three goals against us at Wembley, open brackets, typical Arsenal fan delusion, close brackets.
See I think that speaks for itself. The arrogance.
Original post by shawn_o1
See I think that speaks for itself. The arrogance.

I know right. Imagine thinking that Arsenal will score 3 in 90 minutes when they haven't scored a single goal in the last 450.
Original post by The Shed End
I know right. Imagine thinking that Arsenal will score 3 in 90 minutes when they haven't scored a single goal in the last 450.

You reckon you'll keep a clean sheet?
Changed my prediction to 4-1 due to the realisation Cesc moves like a shopping trolley with a dodgy wheel
Shed has a point. Your record against Chelsea is not just bad its notable bad, unusually so. The key is going to have to be in the way the game is approached. There is going to have to be a change from one the sides if 450 mins without a goal is going to be transformed in 3 in 90mins, if Wenger is going to win for the first time in 13 games. All those games Arsenal have had a team capable of scoring and winning, but there must be a reason why it hasn't happened. Unless you have reason to believe there is something that has changed, I can't see why you'd predict a different outcome.
Zurich wants Cesc back so bad
5-1
Original post by Stalin
You reckon you'll keep a clean sheet?

Not saying that at all, think you guys could win depending on Mourinho's approach who may be a more willing to take a more offensive approach than usual given it's a glorified friendly. But to say you'll score 3/4 goals given your recent history is highly deluded and misplaced and unfortunately seems to just about sum up a large proportion of your fanbase.

Seems a spanking of Lyon and an actual piece of silverwa.., no my bad two pieces, of major silverware, seems to have gotten to the heads of some arsenal fans.
Would rather we played both hector and debuchy with bellerin at rw. Not going to happen but would be very cheeky
Original post by Fizzel
Shed has a point. Your record against Chelsea is not just bad its notable bad, unusually so. The key is going to have to be in the way the game is approached. There is going to have to be a change from one the sides if 450 mins without a goal is going to be transformed in 3 in 90mins, if Wenger is going to win for the first time in 13 games. All those games Arsenal have had a team capable of scoring and winning, but there must be a reason why it hasn't happened. Unless you have reason to believe there is something that has changed, I can't see why you'd predict a different outcome.

Only thing that can change is Mourinho willing to play a bit more attacking. Cech could be decisive as well but cant see it myself. They had one shot on target against us in the 180 minutes in the league last season, and two the season before. The last time Arsene tried to push his players up the park against us we spanked them 6-0. Walcott played well in the FA Cup Final, but he thrives against teams that push up the field where he can get behind, which just ain't gonna happen against us.
Original post by Fizzel

Tactics basically. We got better tactically against them last season than the season before, but we just do not play a good formation and tactic to beat them. Sure sooner or later we'll win by sheer luck but there is a fundamental flaw in Wenger's approach to chelsea games. I think it's blind arrogance tbh, like Neville said when we went unbeaten we decided we were almost too good for the league and teams would have to beat us on our terms. Well the reality is we've been beaten comfortably on our own terms year in year out since 2005 or so. Sure we've not had a better team than Chelsea since 05 which influences the likely results but I can't name another team thats failed in 13 attempts to beat another team as Arsenal has with Mourinho's Chelsea.
Tactics?

You sit back in 2 banks of 4, and clear the ball when it comes near. That is literally all you do. You do it well and it is not easy to be that solid, but can we please stop pretending this is some tactical innovation.

You'll do the same tomorrow, there is nothing new or interesting about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Tactics?

You sit back in 2 banks of 4, and clear the ball when it comes near. That is literally all you do. You do it well and it is not easy to be that solid, but can we please stop pretending this is some tactical innovation.

You'll do the same tomorrow, there is nothing new or interesting about it.

Why does it need to be innovative and who's pretending it is? As you say, they do it well and that's what matters.

Latest