The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
Worth a shout tbh.

Thanks
Please would everybody read the first two posts of this thread before asking if such and such a university will be lenient about this course or that with X grades. As is carefully explained there, nobody who doesn't work for a university admissions department can possibly tell you, and anything anyone says can only be guesswork. Even if your next door neighbour's aunt's daughter's friend got in with those grades last year, it is genuinely no indication of what will happen this year. The lifting of the cap on student numbers has made this year unknown territory for everyone. It's very understandable that you are all anxious about what is going to happen, but people posting on here can only offer you wishful thinking, false hope, false despair or nothing of any use at all, so please be mindful that they know no more than you do.
So I've got a place to study medicine with an offer of AAA. Basically I've been suffering from depression for the past year now but I've only ever admitted it a few weeks ago and went to the GP to get antidepressants.

I was wondering whether it would be useful to contact my uni in advance of results day for special consideration because I feel like it may have affected my performance and my GP agrees, or whether to wait till results day to see if I met my conditions despite my illness.

P.S Not sure if its relevant but I have evidence of the illness being over the past year, e.g. being sent to counsellers by my college. Also I have a very good past academic record, e.g. all A*s at GCSE/all As at AS.

Any help would be great!
Original post by mila123
So I've got a place to study medicine with an offer of AAA. Basically I've been suffering from depression for the past year now but I've only ever admitted it a few weeks ago and went to the GP to get antidepressants.

I was wondering whether it would be useful to contact my uni in advance of results day for special consideration because I feel like it may have affected my performance and my GP agrees, or whether to wait till results day to see if I met my conditions despite my illness.

P.S Not sure if its relevant but I have evidence of the illness being over the past year, e.g. being sent to counsellers by my college. Also I have a very good past academic record, e.g. all A*s at GCSE/all As at AS.

Any help would be great!
I am sorry you are ill. It's too late now to claim special consideration for your exams as such factors have to be reported as soon as possible after the event. Any such communication has to be via your referee, since for obvious reasons anyone could claim anything as an excuse for poor grades and coming from an independent source it will have some weight, whereas from you it will have none. You will need to discuss this with your school.
Reply 164
Original post by claireestelle
Nope, they never have done.

What top unis offer clearing after oxbridge?
Original post by claireestelle
Nope, they never have done.

Cambridge used to regularly advertise places at Homerton in clearing. They stopped in around 2004.
Original post by PQ
Cambridge used to regularly advertise places at Homerton in clearing. They stopped in around 2004.

My apologises, i was 10 in 2004 so wasnt aware the ever had done so that far back
Original post by omar4
What top unis offer clearing after oxbridge?

Pretty much every uni except for Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial (and St Andrews?) enters Clearing. You can find a list of unis that have announced their Clearing lists so far this year at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3467547 (more will announce places on A Level results day)
the university of leicester accepted my best friend on ABB on results day when they previously asked for AAA
Original post by elizabeth1006
the university of leicester accepted my best friend on ABB on results day when they previously asked for AAA

Past behaviour is not an indicator of future behaviour.
Original post by PQ
Past behaviour is not an indicator of future behaviour.

Unless your establishment happens to be the University of Durham. :wink::lol:
Reply 171
i need 280 ucas point for nottingham trent university , whats the lowest i can get ? and still get into the uni itself ?
Original post by MR95
i need 280 ucas point for nottingham trent university , whats the lowest i can get ? and still get into the uni itself ?

Read the first posts in the thread. As frustrating as it is for you, nobody knows exactly what will happen to any individual who misses their offer. Nobody can know. Even the admissions staff at Nottingham Trent won't know for sure until they get everyone's results through and make that decision.

All anybody can do at this point is speculate wildly; or tell you what's happened in the past, which actually isn't particularly helpful as it's not necessarily a good indicator of what will happen this year. There nothing for it but waiting until results day, I'm afraid!
Does anyone know if it is likely that Aston University will places for Pharmacy in clearing?
Reply 174
How likely is it to get accepted for a course that is advertised on clearing now? My conditions are BBC (the c being at national5) and realistically I think I may get A on its own or possibly AC, as my higher human biology exam was terrible. I've definitely missed my C at national 5.
I have BCC from last year so if I'm right in guessing id have ABCCC when the requirements are ABBB. The sooner results day is over with the better lol
Original post by thanbirh
Does anyone know if it is likely that Aston University will places for Pharmacy in clearing?

Original post by 123hc4
How likely is it to get accepted for a course that is advertised on clearing now? My conditions are BBC (the c being at national5) and realistically I think I may get A on its own or possibly AC, as my higher human biology exam was terrible. I've definitely missed my C at national 5.
I have BCC from last year so if I'm right in guessing id have ABCCC when the requirements are ABBB. The sooner results day is over with the better lol

Read the first two posts on this thread.
Original post by thanbirh

According their vacancy list on their website currently they do but nobody can tell you whether or not they will still have any on results day. The clearing vacancies list goes up at 6pm on ucas the day before results day so have a look then:smile:
I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question, but I've seen the courses I've applied to are in clearing - if I don't get accepted to either can I reapply through clearing, even though I've already been rejected?
Original post by emilytombs
I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question, but I've seen the courses I've applied to are in clearing - if I don't get accepted to either can I reapply through clearing, even though I've already been rejected?

No if they ve already rejected you its game over i m sorry, as they get your grades at the weekend so they get a few days to consider whether or not to take you with missed grades or not.

The only situation you could contact them is if you missed by say 1/2 ums and you've decided to go for a priority remark but even then they don't have to accept it but that's up to you whether you want to take the risk of trying to get your grades increased.
Okay, thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending