The Student Room Group

Girls: Is there a difference between a hot guy and a handsome guy?

I was just wondering; I've never considered myself attractive or anything but I've been called handsome quite a lot so I just wondered if girls saw a difference between handsome and hot? Is handsome just a nice way of saying not as attractive as others?

Also, what about a guy is it that attracts you?
hot = body focused

handsome = face focus
Original post by Proxenus
hot = body focused

handsome = face focus

no, hot can also include the face

I think handsome is a more sophisticated way to say hot :rofl:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
no, hot can also include the face

I think handsome is a more sophisticated way to say hot :rofl:

i said body focused :P
Original post by Proxenus
i said body focused :P

Oops :mmm: then yes
I'de say handsome is to do with the actions that you perceive to be associated with the person in question.

If I describe a guy as hot that just means I want to **** him - it doesn't mean I associate any positive attributes with i'm due to how he appears.

If I were to describe a guy as handsome then I would probably associate intelligence, sophistication, style, elegance, artistic, a higher beauty and so on to him even if there's absolutely no evidence of such - something about his look seems to indicate that to me hence handsome and not merely hot.

I think a similar thing applies to "beautiful" vs "sexy" for women. At least to some extent... I know "beautiful women" is quite a cliche compared to handsome men... I wish there were better ways to describe artistically-attractive women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending