The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the best out of the cheapest accommodation?

I can just about afford standard ziggurats as my first choice, but I don't know what to put for my second choice. I can't afford the village or campus ensuite. What's the environment in standard single campus like? And mary chapman court? I would rather not share a room with a stranger, but would the twin ziggurat be better?

Thank you.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by sourlemon
Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the best out of the cheapest accommodation?

I can just about afford standard ziggurats as my first choice, but I don't know what to put for my second choice. I can't afford the village or campus ensuite. What's the environment in standard single campus like? And mary chapman court? I would rather not share a room with a stranger, but would the twin ziggurat be better?

Thank you.

Most people who end up in twin ziggurat haven't had it as first choice but turn out liking it.

Having said that, I spoke to someone who lived in standard single for the first time the other day and they really loved their time there.

The bathrooms are one thing that differs. In Norfolk and Suffolk there are two normal bathrooms with shower, sink and toilet, plus an additional toilet. Whereas in standard single you have a room with two shower cubicles in the same room. For me, I would hate this bathroom set up but if you don't mind it you can get a single room for less than a single ziggurat room.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Most people who end up in twin ziggurat haven't had it as first choice but turn out liking it.

Having said that, I spoke to someone who lived in standard single for the first time the other day and they really loved their time there.

The bathrooms are one thing that differs. In Norfolk and Suffolk there are two normal bathrooms with shower, sink and toilet, plus an additional toilet. Whereas in standard single you have a room with two shower cubicles in the same room. For me, I would hate this bathroom set up but if you don't mind it you can get a single room for less than a single ziggurat room.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You :smile: Also, do you know how likely it is to get your first preference? I'm pretty late applying and I'm wondering if that affects it at all.
Original post by sourlemon
Thank You :smile: Also, do you know how likely it is to get your first preference? I'm pretty late applying and I'm wondering if that affects it at all.

Being later shouldn't affect it as long as you've done it before results day and any deadline you've been given.

A few years back I know it was something like 95ish% got one of their top three. Not sure if this is the same now as they have more students, but it probably is roughly since they used to include insurance students then so numbers are probably similar. If you want to change once you arrive, you can go on to a waiting list to move, which usually happens within the first month or so.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5064
How long does the bus journey between Mary Chapman Court and the campus take?
Hi!!!

Ive missed place my prospectus and just wanted to check and confirm how many hours the Education BA is in lectures for???

I literally have drawn a blank

If anyone has the prospectus and could check it would be greatly appreciated. I have checked the website and it doesn't specify.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Thanks
D
Original post by RTGSD
How long does the bus journey between Mary Chapman Court and the campus take?

20-25 mins usually depending on traffic.
Reply 5067
Original post by jelly1000
20-25 mins usually depending on traffic.

Thank you, do you know how much it costs?
Original post by RTGSD
Thank you, do you know how much it costs?

At the moment a bus pass is £215 for 12 months or £199 for 1st September-30th June- that allows you unlimited journeys around Norwich- if you'll be heading to uni more than twice a week then well worth it. Not sure how much paper tickets cost for under 19's, if your 19 or over when you start its something like £4.10 for a return.
Reply 5069
Original post by jelly1000
At the moment a bus pass is £215 for 12 months or £199 for 1st September-30th June- that allows you unlimited journeys around Norwich- if you'll be heading to uni more than twice a week then well worth it. Not sure how much paper tickets cost for under 19's, if your 19 or over when you start its something like £4.10 for a return.

Original post by RTGSD

I'm thinking of getting a bus pass and wondering whether it will be worth it?
Especially since I'll be wanting to go to the city centre often.
Reply 5071
Original post by ForeverFaith

I think it's definitely worth it if a return ticket is £4.10 as someone said above.

If you want to go to the city centre more than twice a week its definitley worth getting a bus pass.

Depends how often you'll go really. There is a club on campus plus a pub and lots of people mostly go there, plus get taxis when going to clubs anyway. And many get their shopping delivered as its heavy to carry back on a bus anyway.

If you're someone who loves going in to town to shop and explore and/or you know people who love around norwich and/or you need to get somewhere regularly (like a physio, a uni placement, volunteering somewhere) it can be worth it, but some people find they don't use it enough for the price in first year.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Depends how often you'll go really. There is a club on campus plus a pub and lots of people mostly go there, plus get taxis when going to clubs anyway. And many get their shopping delivered as its heavy to carry back on a bus anyway.

If you're someone who loves going in to town to shop and explore and/or you know people who love around norwich and/or you need to get somewhere regularly (like a physio, a uni placement, volunteering somewhere) it can be worth it, but some people find they don't use it enough for the price in first year.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'll take a good think about it first.
Just wanted to ask if anyone lived in premier accommodation. If you did, is there anything special about it?
Original post by dmcque
Hi!!!

Ive missed place my prospectus and just wanted to check and confirm how many hours the Education BA is in lectures for???

I literally have drawn a blank

If anyone has the prospectus and could check it would be greatly appreciated. I have checked the website and it doesn't specify.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Thanks
D

If no-one is able to help an email to admissions should see your q answered.
I don't know if this is the right thread for asking, but I was wondering, when will we be able to move in into our student dorms? I am from Lithuania (EU student), and we need to book flight tickets as soon as possible yet I don't know the actual date.
Original post by bri1221
I don't know if this is the right thread for asking, but I was wondering, when will we be able to move in into our student dorms? I am from Lithuania (EU student), and we need to book flight tickets as soon as possible yet I don't know the actual date.

You will get a date with your offer. For you as an EU undergrad it will be either the 16th or 17th September, so you could always go for arrival on 16th and if you get 17th and they can't change it, stay in a cheap hotel room for one night. I'm not sure how flexible they are with arrivals if you have flights booked etc but if you contact them directly I'm sure they can let you know. There is also a hotel on campus which could be convenient.

https://portal.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/key-dates

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just wondering, how come some people have accommodation offers already? In my email it said I would know the week commencing 17th August? Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending