The Student Room Group

School Direct Trainees 2015 *those who have accepted an offer* :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wadders86
I cannot get a student loan as the position is salaried, every other university, and the government website says the university funds this but Nottingham Trent doesn't.

I can't even find any info about fees for the salaried route. When I spoke to the teaching agency they said it was very much down to the school and the alliance how much they pay and that I would have to ask them.

In the interview they told me my salary would be around 19k after training costs and that was the first I even heard about training costs. But then I got my contract stating my pay was 25k and no mention of training costs. I really should have asked someone at my school, as I was there for two whole weeks, but talking money is just so awkward.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 161
Hello!!

I am starting my SCITT course this September. I am very excited and a bit scared! Can anybody recommend any reading you are doing before starting your course? At the moment I am reading "Getting the buggers to behave". (It is for MFL secondary).
Thank you
Original post by maria3
Hello!!

I am starting my SCITT course this September. I am very excited and a bit scared! Can anybody recommend any reading you are doing before starting your course? At the moment I am reading "Getting the buggers to behave". (It is for MFL secondary).
Thank you

I found my course reading list through Google, have you tried this?
After I accepted my offer I was told that I'd receive further information about my course before the summer - schools broke up over a week ago but I have yet to even get a confirmation of the start date. I always feel uncomfortable nudging people in situations like this because there might be a legitimate reason for the delay, but it looks like I'm going to have to give them a polite nudge, right?
Original post by Pierson
After I accepted my offer I was told that I'd receive further information about my course before the summer - schools broke up over a week ago but I have yet to even get a confirmation of the start date. I always feel uncomfortable nudging people in situations like this because there might be a legitimate reason for the delay, but it looks like I'm going to have to give them a polite nudge, right?

I would, but also see what you can find out yourself as you may not get a reply from school straight away.
Reply 165
I have very little information at the moment also... Maybe this is the norm?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only thing I really need to know is what day I'm starting. I suppose I wouldn't be stressing about it if they hadn't said that they'd be in touch before the summer. I might just wait and if I haven't head from them the week before schools reopen then I'll nudge them.
starting (salaried) sch direct training in a few weeks!!!!
looking forward to it. stressful part of the whole process was passing the numeracy skills test. thank heavens that's done with.
Hi everyone! Just wanted to ask, for anyone who has been accepted to the salaried courses and have passed their professional skills test, have you received any confirmation in regards to salary. I will be working in the Inner London area but the pay I was quoted was more London fringe/england & wales area or the amount I should be taking home after tax is deducted, however no one can confirm what I'll actually be taking home. It also doesn't fit directly with any of the pay scales. Just wanted to find out if anyone else had any other experiences?
Hi all, I have just started my own blog. Never done this before and no idea what I'm doing.

What do you think?

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/hello-world/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tweetypiebabe1
Hi everyone! Just wanted to ask, for anyone who has been accepted to the salaried courses and have passed their professional skills test, have you received any confirmation in regards to salary. I will be working in the Inner London area but the pay I was quoted was more London fringe/england & wales area or the amount I should be taking home after tax is deducted, however no one can confirm what I'll actually be taking home. It also doesn't fit directly with any of the pay scales. Just wanted to find out if anyone else had any other experiences?

hi, i haven't received any information with regards to salary and going by what was stated on the lead sch website.
Reply 171
Hi, I accepted an offer for School Direct History in London back in March but still not had much info from the school. I don't know what year groups I'll be teaching (I'm in a secondary school so assuming a mix but would be nice to know some specifics!), what my pay will be, what's on the school curriculum I might need to brush up on, who my mentor is. Starting to get a little concerned I'm missing out on things I should know. I've sorted my DBS and managed to find out from the woman who deals with this when my start date is, but I've emailed the person who deals with SD and had no reply. Is anyone else in the same boat?

(Uni has been great - induction and pre-registration all done) :smile:
Things like mentors and classes are often only arranged after teachers return to work. An influx of information will probably arrive in your inbox when your course leader is back at work. I imagine your pay will be at point 1 on the unqualified teacher scale but this will probably be stated in your employment contract.
I started at the school in July so that I could get used to the school first. I also met my mentor and had my induction with the NQTs. I got my contract so I know my salary - was paid by the school in July.

I am working in outer London and training with the IoE. I'm so nervous. I am starting off with 16 hours from day 1!
Original post by katielon12
Hiiiiii 😄 I accepted an offer for schools direct in the Liverpool area! Mine is for primary. Can not actually wait to start! Well done everyone who has got a place!! X

Hi there. I hope all is going well with your course and teaching.

I wonder if you can help me. I am now looking for Schools Direct (Salaried) places within the Liverpool area for primary, but just cannot quite get my head around how to do that. They keep saying apply through UCAS but I don't know how to find the schools to apply to. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time.
Currently you only only search for courses starting this September as applications are still open, but this is the link: http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

The UCAS Teacher Training site has all the information you'll need: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training
Thanks Pierson. I think I asked the same question earlier and you gave me good information, but I was searching round yesterday and couldn't find info on 2016 entry - so now I understand that it isn't available yet.

I also registered on the UCAS site, but half way through realised that it wasn't the teacher training site.. I guess they are not transferable? I was hoping to get a head start on preparing the application form as I work full time and have a family so it will probably take me a while to get it all together.

Do we know which subjects will provide bursaries for 2016 entry? I am looking at the salaried route, but places are few, so I wondered about alternatives. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks
Unfortunately, information regarding funding for next year hasn't been released yet.

The only part of the application form that takes a lot of time is the personal statement, which you can start writing now in a Word document using the font 'Courier New' size 8 and then copy and paste it into the form once applications open in October (most likely 27th October). The limit is 4000 characters or 47 lines, whichever limit you hit first, but Word calculates these differently to UCAS so you may find that your personal statement is slightly too long or too short when you copy and paste it, but at least the bulk of the work will be done.

The only other things you may want to do if you haven't done so already is to get all your qualification certificates together because the form asks which exam boards you received certain qualifications from and course providers will then usually ask to see the certificates at interviews to verify your results. Secondly, the work history section gives you the opportunity to write briefly about your duties and any transferable skills to teaching that you gained or developed in that job. You could start writing these a Word document now, too.

UCAS has some video guides on their website, which may give you a better idea of what the form requires: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/apply-and-track/filling-your-application It doesn't really take too long to complete if you've got everything you need together (which I didn't when I did mine!). Around mid-October, just let your referees know that you will be giving UCAS their details and so they will receive an email requesting a reference at some point in the coming weeks. UCAS will automatically send a reference request to them once you've submitted the form. Your application doesn't get sent to your choices until the references have been completed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I had my 1st day today at my placement school. Such an inspirational speaker at the inset day.
Here is my blog about it.

https://pleasecanitalk.wordpress.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone doing the secondary route tell me how many GCSE classes they have? At induction we were told there should be a reasonable balance but only 2/16 of my periods are GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest