The Student Room Group

DSA laptop?

Basically, the woman who arranged my dsa lied to me and told me I wouldn't have to pay £200 for my equipment. I can't find any info anywhere but is the £200 for all the equipment or just for a laptop? Everywhere I look it says the £200 is for a computer.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueDahlia
Basically, the woman who arranged my dsa lied to me and told me I wouldn't have to pay £200 for my equipment. I can't find any info anywhere but is the £200 for all the equipment or just for a laptop? Everywhere I look it says the £200 is for a computer.

Thanks

Just for the pc, i ve never heard of it being for anything else.
Reply 2
Im getting quite a bit of equipment and the laptop they offered me is at least 4 years old as it is windows 7. I don't feel justified in spending 200 on something so old when I could get a brand new laptop for just £50 more. I asked for upgrades and they said it would be on top of the £200 which made me think it was for everything.
Im getting quite a bit of equipment and the laptop they offered me is at least 4 years old as it is windows 7. I don't feel justified in spending 200 on something so old when I could get a brand new laptop for just £50 more. I asked for upgrades and they said it would be on top of the £200 which made me think it was for everything.

Now everyone has to pay the first £200 towards the reconmended laptop, any upgrade you will have to pay more for. You are able to buy your own laptop and get them to put any software you were recommended on that, you don't have to accept their laptop.

Thanks

I didn't have to pay anything towards my laptop... Have you upgraded it?
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I didn't have to pay anything towards my laptop... Have you upgraded it?

From September you have to pay the first £200.

For any other equipment, you don't have to pay anything.
Original post by OU Student
From September you have to pay the first £200.

For any other equipment, you don't have to pay anything.

Oh I see! I missed the changes then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I was told I missed the changes but that was a load of rubbish. I'm going to cancel the laptop, it's too expensive for what it is!
Reply 8
Only SFE students have to pay the first £200, SFW (Wales) students don't. Specs are set out by a framework document so they cannot supply a Windows 7 machine, it has to be Windows 8.1.
Reply 9
Original post by NJones
Only SFE students have to pay the first £200, SFW (Wales) students don't. Specs are set out by a framework document so they cannot supply a Windows 7 machine, it has to be Windows 8.1.

What is this about SFW not having to pay, does that mean the welsh gov will cover the full cost of the laptop?
Reply 10
Hah! they just gave me the laptop back in 2012. Too bad guys.
Original post by 10614LW
What is this about SFW not having to pay, does that mean the welsh gov will cover the full cost of the laptop?

yes they do
Reply 12
Yes, it's only SFE who are asking students for a £200 contribution, students funded from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, or via NHS get the cost paid in full from DSA, though this will change for Wales next year.
They didn't really communicate the prices well with me either but it is £200. Unless you get an upgrade like I did which is even more.
Reply 14
If you upgrade to a mac air it will cost you £517 with a £200 contribution. In total: £715?!

Do you think this is crazy?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eman2015
If you upgrade to a mac air it will cost you £517 with a £200 contribution. In total: £715?!

Do you think this is crazy?

Ouch!
I have all my letter through and deciding what to buy... I'd like an apple but I saw on the post it is £715

That is a lot of money and not really much of a discount :/
Original post by EllainKahlo
They didn't really communicate the prices well with me either but it is £200. Unless you get an upgrade like I did which is even more.

what upgrade did you get and how much was the cost>

as I am thinking about an upgrade.
Original post by urbanlocations
what upgrade did you get and how much was the cost>

as I am thinking about an upgrade.

I got a Toshiba Satellite (they're crap, really flimsy, it is already falling apart and I'm very good at looking after my tech but I got it for the screen definition) it was about £450 and I'm pretty sure they made my dad pay the full amount. They're awful at explaining what an upgrade actually is. If you don't want the laptop they suggest, which I think is even worse than the one I ended up with, they just make you pay for the full amount which means everything except the laptop is being given to you free of charge but the laptop price is paid (by you) in full.

I realised this immediately after asking for my first laptop choice which was a MacBook Pro. They said you have to pay for the full amount. So I downgraded to a Toshiba, again, if it's not what they picked, you're paying the full amount. So basically I got lots of things I didn't want or need but were pushed on me, for free. And the one thing I wanted a discount on, I paid for fully, just through them.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I got a Toshiba Satellite (they're crap, really flimsy, it is already falling apart and I'm very good at looking after my tech but I got it for the screen definition) it was about £450 and I'm pretty sure they made my dad pay the full amount. They're awful at explaining what an upgrade actually is. If you don't want the laptop they suggest, which I think is even worse than the one I ended up with, they just make you pay for the full amount which means everything except the laptop is being given to you free of charge but the laptop price is paid (by you) in full.

I realised this immediately after asking for my first laptop choice which was a MacBook Pro. They said you have to pay for the full amount. So I downgraded to a Toshiba, again, if it's not what they picked, you're paying the full amount. So basically I got lots of things I didn't want or need but were pushed on me, for free. And the one thing I wanted a discount on, I paid for fully, just through them.

Sounds like a pain!! I think I might ask for a computer tower instead....!!!

Quick Reply

Latest