The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone give advice on how realistic it is for someone who has not come from a science background to do well on the GAMSAT? I know it says you don't need science technically but then also says science will significantly help. I haven't done any science since GCSEs, I got a 2.1 LLB and have been working in the NHS for over a year (now a manager). I haven't done any care work experience or jobs yet but naturally I have the contacts to do this whenever I want now. Considering GEM in the next few years after my MA.

Main thing putting me off is paying £200+ for a test I won't even pass.
Original post by DazzleLight
On the three mocks on the UKCAT website I scored 486, 567 and 532.
This didn't phase me much as I had done the test in 2012 and did really badly in my mocks but scored 688 in the exam.
I think the UKCAT mocks are a good representation, I'd thought the real exam would be slightly easier but found it to be the same level of difficulty.

I wouldn't mind 5 year if I could afford it! lol

I've heard the QR in the mocks is a little harder. mock A QR was terrifically hard in my opinion.

It's not a terrible score! Have you looked at Bristol. They don't look at any exams and focus on other things. you need AAB in a level with A in chemistry though.

Are you taking the gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Richardjamesford
Ukcat thresholds are lower for five year course- but will need to pay the first four years of 9 grand yourself without student finance loan. So if money isn't an issue!

That sounds encouraging! Do you know if unis give preference to school leavers if UKCAT is similar, or are they not bothered who is applying?
Original post by infairverona
Can anyone give advice on how realistic it is for someone who has not come from a science background to do well on the GAMSAT? I know it says you don't need science technically but then also says science will significantly help. I haven't done any science since GCSEs, I got a 2.1 LLB and have been working in the NHS for over a year (now a manager). I haven't done any care work experience or jobs yet but naturally I have the contacts to do this whenever I want now. Considering GEM in the next few years after my MA.

Main thing putting me off is paying £200+ for a test I won't even pass.

I'd say if you spent a long time studying you could do ok,but it is a very hard exam and the scores depend on who you are taking it with, and then they are standardised against all the people that have every taken it!

I have done the exam twice and got 55 average in my last go. I worked for 3 months whilst working full time and I am science grad. I think it take time to improve your score. It is also about exam technique and picking out the right info. A lot of the time the info you need is there but if you already know it you may spend less time reading it all. Other time you don't need any knowledge and you just need what is there. But the timing is very tough and you have to be strict with yourself. It is common not to finish it.

I know some science grads who revise for a month a do well, others revise for a year a so well. Same for non science grads but I can't imagine it being easy for someone who hasn't done science since GCSEs!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
I've heard the QR in the mocks is a little harder. mock A QR was terrifically hard in my opinion.

It's not a terrible score! Have you looked at Bristol. They don't look at any exams and focus on other things. you need AAB in a level with A in chemistry though.

Are you taking the gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes come to think of it the QR section in the mocks is slightly harder but having said that, I still don't think its possible to answer every question confidently...there is always some guessing due to time restrictions. The AR I found really difficult and scored 600 on.

And I just looked at Bristol now, I don't know why I hadn't before, thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I got A in biology and chemistry and B in Eng Lit in my A levels (and an A in EPQ)
And no, no gamsat or bmat :frown: which highly restricts my options
Yes come to think of it the QR section in the mocks is slightly harder but having said that, I still don't think its possible to answer every question confidently...there is always some guessing due to time restrictions. The AR I found really difficult and scored 600 on.

And I just looked at Bristol now, I don't know why I hadn't before, thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I got A in biology and chemistry and B in Eng Lit in my A levels (and an A in EPQ)
And no, no gamsat or bmat :frown: which highly restricts my options

Yes with QR I think you have to flag ones that are too long or hard and move on! Did you find easier ones at the end and harder ones at the beginning?
I find AR ok a lot of the time so hope it is ok for me on the day!

Ye read into Bristol more it is deffo an option!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say if you spent a long time studying you could do ok,but it is a very hard exam and the scores depend on who you are taking it with, and then they are standardised against all the people that have every taken it!

I have done the exam twice and got 55 average in my last go. I worked for 3 months whilst working full time and I am science grad. I think it take time to improve your score. It is also about exam technique and picking out the right info. A lot of the time the info you need is there but if you already know it you may spend less time reading it all. Other time you don't need any knowledge and you just need what is there. But the timing is very tough and you have to be strict with yourself. It is common not to finish it.

I know some science grads who revise for a month a do well, others revise for a year a so well. Same for non science grads but I can't imagine it being easy for someone who hasn't done science since GCSEs!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if you are good at comprehension work it's doable? I read quickly and got a high score on the LNAT when I applied for law which sounds similar except it wasn't science-based comprehension. Is 55 a good score? I definitely wouldn't want to pay £200+ twice haha
So if you are good at comprehension work it's doable? I read quickly and got a high score on the LNAT when I applied for law which sounds similar except it wasn't science-based comprehension. Is 55 a good score? I definitely wouldn't want to pay £200+ twice haha

First time I didn't revise. Literally had 3/4 weeks working full time so I did it as a trial run and wasn't expecting to pass if I'm honest.

You'll be fine at S1 although sometimes the answers are so similar it's hard but given your degree it should be good.

The essays just need practice. 2 in a hour with structure and content is hard, but if you write one or two a day for a few months you'd probably do ok. I got 64 in that section surprisingly.

55 is average. It may be good enough for Swansea and Liverpool whose cut off is mid 50s usually, but Nottingham and SGUL require 62 I think. 62 is around 80th percentile. It is hard to predict your scores and percentages mean nothing. It's all relative to how you do in comparison to everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks I will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also it's probably worth mentioning that the Kings UKCAT cutoff this year will quite likely be lower either way - given that they've switched from all degrees to science only, I wouldn't be surprised if their applicant numbers fall dramatically because it's one of the few no-strings-attached places non-sciences could previously apply. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 730 or potentially lower.
First time I didn't revise. Literally had 3/4 weeks working full time so I did it as a trial run and wasn't expecting to pass if I'm honest.

You'll be fine at S1 although sometimes the answers are so similar it's hard but given your degree it should be good.

The essays just need practice. 2 in a hour with structure and content is hard, but if you write one or two a day for a few months you'd probably do ok. I got 64 in that section surprisingly.

55 is average. It may be good enough for Swansea and Liverpool whose cut off is mid 50s usually, but Nottingham and SGUL require 62 I think. 62 is around 80th percentile. It is hard to predict your scores and percentages mean nothing. It's all relative to how you do in comparison to everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the essays like? Science topics?
Original post by emmaaa88
Also it's probably worth mentioning that the Kings UKCAT cutoff this year will quite likely be lower either way - given that they've switched from all degrees to science only, I wouldn't be surprised if their applicant numbers fall dramatically because it's one of the few no-strings-attached places non-sciences could previously apply. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 730 or potentially lower.

Good point! Thank you, I will email them and see. Is it just a general email to their admissions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the essays like? Science topics?

First 1 (A) is argumentative style and you get 5 quotes based on a theme. Themes can include: war, crime, politics, government, technology etc... That style. More examples online if you google it.

Second one (B) is more personal and emotional. You can use anecdotes and be reflective. These can include: love, youth, education, comedy, friendship etc. That sort of thing. Again more examples online.

It is recommend to use quotes in each essay but it is not essential. These can be from people such as Gandhi, Churchill, thatcher, Helen Keller, that sort of thing. It is not essential at all.

You have 1 hour to do both so 30 mins each. It is suggested to plan for 3-5 mins and write for the rest. In the exam you get reading time before. I can't remember how much, but you can plan in your head then (you're not allowed to write in those minutes). This means you'll spend less time writing your plan for the first one or both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First 1 (A) is argumentative style and you get 5 quotes based on a theme. Themes can include: war, crime, politics, government, technology etc... That style. More examples online if you google it.

Second one (B) is more personal and emotional. You can use anecdotes and be reflective. These can include: love, youth, education, comedy, friendship etc. That sort of thing. Again more examples online.

It is recommend to use quotes in each essay but it is not essential. These can be from people such as Gandhi, Churchill, thatcher, Helen Keller, that sort of thing. It is not essential at all.

You have 1 hour to do both so 30 mins each. It is suggested to plan for 3-5 mins and write for the rest. In the exam you get reading time before. I can't remember how much, but you can plan in your head then (you're not allowed to write in those minutes). This means you'll spend less time writing your plan for the first one or both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adding to this, there is no reason that you have to write an essay. ACER refers to it as a "writing task"; one could write a short story or poem if they were so inclined.
Original post by liam__
Adding to this, there is no reason that you have to write an essay. ACER refers to it as a "writing task"; one could write a short story or poem if they were so inclined.

Do you know of anyone who actually wrote a poem and got a good mark? Sounds like such a risky move
Original post by liam__

I never heard this and 99.9% (not saying 100% cos I can't ever be that sure) of the people I know or spoke to wrote essays. All the examples are essays and the tutorials are essays. I have never heard of anyone writing a poem or short story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes with QR I think you have to flag ones that are too long or hard and move on! Did you find easier ones at the end and harder ones at the beginning?
I find AR ok a lot of the time so hope it is ok for me on the day!

Ye read into Bristol more it is deffo an option!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ended up having to guess most of the ones at the end without reading the question so wouldn't be able to say if they were easier. And yes bristol sounds very good...apart from the fact they only have 19 places....but i guess thats to be expected with gem programmes
I ended up having to guess most of the ones at the end without reading the question so wouldn't be able to say if they were easier. And yes bristol sounds very good...apart from the fact they only have 19 places....but i guess thats to be expected with gem programmes

It is! But if you smash you personal statement and reference and check their other criteria there's no saying you won't get an interview. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Please give the names and addresses of your most recent employers. If you have not had any paid work experience, you can leave this section blank, but you will need to mark it as complete.'

Does this only refer to employment that is relevant to medicine?
Reply 1078
Original post by Ebuwa
'Please give the names and addresses of your most recent employers. If you have not had any paid work experience, you can leave this section blank, but you will need to mark it as complete.'

Does this only refer to employment that is relevant to medicine?

Nope.. Any employment you have had...doesn't have to be in medicine
Original post by sampowell92
Do you know of anyone who actually wrote a poem and got a good mark? Sounds like such a risky move

Of course it's risky if you're not an English grad!

I never heard this and 99.9% (not saying 100% cos I can't ever be that sure) of the people I know or spoke to wrote essays. All the examples are essays and the tutorials are essays. I have never heard of anyone writing a poem or short story.

People on the PagingDr forums, which incidentally has some great GAMSAT advice, have scored highly with both poems and short stories. The reason everyone advises essays is because it's easier to score high, as they're really just a set structure with some original thought put in (a la Griffiths review). Obviously, it would be ludicrous for a science grad to attempt a poem in such a short space of time, but if your first degree is in creative writing, it would probably be advantageous to show some originality and not add to the pile of hundreds of mundane essays that the markers have to grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending