The Student Room Group

I HATE my first choice university

I chose Durham after visiting in March, where I liked the people etc. The course seemed decent enough but now I really regret picking it

The things I have heard and seen about Durham- which I am well-aware is a fantastic uni- do not seem to be a good fit for me. I really want a uni that at least gives you opportunity for self-help; e.g. drop-in sessions and actual replies from tutors.

The accommodation is also appalling for me as I have a medical issue. I would either be separated from my year or sharing a room, which would ruin the experience for me. It is so expensive for what you receive I feel cheated paying that for something I know I wouldn't enjoy.

My second choice is in Scotland, which I would prefer, but my parents won't let me go because it's too far away from them.

Does anyone have any advice about what I might be able to do?

I've thought about changing to Bristol or York, assuming that I will get AAA at A-Level for an uncompetitive course.

I've found, generally, that Durham in regards to accommodating the welfare of students in college etc. doesn't seem to be that good for applicants.

Disclaimer: I know Durham is fantastic, and this isn't supposed to be derogatory at all! Just in terms of my own personal issues it has shown itself to be less-than-ideal.
I've heard some great things about Durham from friends that are there/have been there. I think every uni has its pros and cons, even top uni's struggle to provide simple care such as drop-in sessions or swift tutor responses! If your parents didn't want you to go to Scotland, how comes you put it as your insurance- just out of curiosity! You can always go through clearing on results day, I've know people to get into Nottingham, Leeds, Queen Mary and other good uni's through Clearing.
Original post by Dan_Tastic
I've heard some great things about Durham from friends that are there/have been there. I think every uni has its pros and cons, even top uni's struggle to provide simple care such as drop-in sessions or swift tutor responses! If your parents didn't want you to go to Scotland, how comes you put it as your insurance- just out of curiosity! You can always go through clearing on results day, I've know people to get into Nottingham, Leeds, Queen Mary and other good uni's through Clearing.

The main problem is the accommodation. Good news is they're being more sold to Scotland which is good. Hoping I might be able to change?
Yeah as long as you achieve the required grades or close enough, then I see no reason why the Scottish uni wouldn't be happy in accepting your request to attend that uni instead!
Original post by starsandstripes
I chose Durham after visiting in March, where I liked the people etc. The course seemed decent enough but now I really regret picking it

The things I have heard and seen about Durham- which I am well-aware is a fantastic uni- do not seem to be a good fit for me. I really want a uni that at least gives you opportunity for self-help; e.g. drop-in sessions and actual replies from tutors.

The accommodation is also appalling for me as I have a medical issue. I would either be separated from my year or sharing a room, which would ruin the experience for me. It is so expensive for what you receive I feel cheated paying that for something I know I wouldn't enjoy.

My second choice is in Scotland, which I would prefer, but my parents won't let me go because it's too far away from them.

Does anyone have any advice about what I might be able to do?

I've thought about changing to Bristol or York, assuming that I will get AAA at A-Level for an uncompetitive course.

I've found, generally, that Durham in regards to accommodating the welfare of students in college etc. doesn't seem to be that good for applicants.

Disclaimer: I know Durham is fantastic, and this isn't supposed to be derogatory at all! Just in terms of my own personal issues it has shown itself to be less-than-ideal.

Screw what your parents think - university is YOUR time. You are perfectly old enough to make your own decision.
Original post by Dan_Tastic
Yeah as long as you achieve the required grades or close enough, then I see no reason why the Scottish uni wouldn't be happy in accepting your request to attend that uni instead!

I don't think it works like that as I understand it, maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify?
Original post by NYU2012
I have attended multiple universities. Durham has been the most helpful, by far, in terms of self-help, drop-in availability and replies from tutors. I would go to my professors for course help, life help, internship application help, just to chat, etc.

What do you mean by separated from your year? E.g. not in the same hallways? Same building? Same floor?

It would be a completely different area of the building. I'd rather not say the particular college, but I have emailed them my concern and am awaiting a response. Your ^^ comment above about the 'helpfulness' has subdued my worried somewhat- so thank you for that.

The problem is not so much that they will not recognise my medical need - they will- but this recognition, because of the facilities in college, would leave me separated from others in first year. At this rate, I'd have to try twice as hard during Fresher's (an already stressful time!) to meet people in college; which really isn't ideal. I also don't want to be ostracised at what is already embarrassing and awkward.

Thank you.
Reply 7
Durham is cracking for self help. I owe so much of my mental wellbeing as an adult to the free counselling they gave me.
Thank you - having spoke to a friend there today- and obviously hearing your POV, I feel much better about it
Original post by AAgrace
Durham is cracking for self help. I owe so much of my mental wellbeing as an adult to the free counselling they gave me.

What other kinds of help do you think they gave? was it uni-wide or college-based?
Reply 10
What other kinds of help do you think they gave? was it uni-wide or college-based?

There are facilities in both. I used both. The university are excellent, and offer all kinds of help. I was seeking help with depression. What do you need?
Original post by AAgrace
There are facilities in both. I used both. The university are excellent, and offer all kinds of help. I was seeking help with depression. What do you need?

I'm glad that it worked for you! I have a physical condition which isn't awful awful, but it can mean I'm quite ill for a few days. I'm hoping that there might be some minor leniency if I get really sick or at least offered advice?
Reply 12
I'm glad that it worked for you! I have a physical condition which isn't awful awful, but it can mean I'm quite ill for a few days. I'm hoping that there might be some minor leniency if I get really sick or at least offered advice?

You'll need to talk to your college tutor, who will deal with it via a combination of services offered by the college and the uni disabilities service. Both are excellent - I wouldn't worry too much - there is PLENTY of room for leniency!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending