The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leojnr
Hi,

Ive got a conditional offer from your university to study Education, culture and childhood and I've just done an access course and i didn't reach the grade requirements that were asked for. Do i still have any chance of being accepted or will it just be a straight rejection?

Hello :smile:

Thank you for your message. I will send you a private message now.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Assistant
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi,
I have received a conditional offer for AeroSpace Engineering.
I was just wondering if on results day do the university send out acceptance emails prior to the actual results being realised (8am) or not?
I know some students who received emails around 6am in previous years?

Thanks
Reply 162
Hi,

I have a conditional offer to study politics which I have firmed. On some uni websites they show how many places there are on the course however I noticed Sheffield doesn't show that. Is there any way of finding out? (I'm really nervous I haven't met my offer)
Reply 163
Hi!!
1) Is it possible to change my method of payment of my accommodation fees from "credit card" to "direct debit" before the 4th of Oct?
2) I would also like to know when should I expect to receive my CAS? I have an unconditional offer.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 164
Hello, i sent my access course results to
[email protected] yesterday. Should i have recirved a reply either automatic acknowladgement of it being recieced or non automatic?

Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, Archaeology is BBB for both 2015 & 2016 yet for Clearing it is listed here (https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/courses/search?q%5Bkeyword%5D=F400) as being ABB. Is it possible to inquire why this is the case?

Many thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I was just looking for some advice. I'm in a different situation to most this results day. I'm a 21 year old mature student and have a full time job, I already had a btec which is the equivalent of 1 B at A level. I've taken politics and business at As and A2 this year and I am hoping to get As in those. What are the chances of the university considering in me in clearing with those qualifications? I also have work experience as I am applying for a business related degree and have been working as a personal trainer for the last 3 years. Thanks.
Hi,
I have a question concerning how long it may take the university to review the documents I sent.

I sent the copies of my exam results and my IELTS report via email three weeks ago and received a confirmation from the UoS with a note that the documents will be attached to my application to be reviewed. It's been almost three weeks and I still haven't heard back from them.

Is anyone in similar situation? I'm concerned about it because I want to get the accommodation I've chosen and the longer I wait, the smaller the chances, I believe.

I'll be grateful for any information :smile:.
Original post by lara.h
Hi,

I have a conditional offer to study politics which I have firmed. On some uni websites they show how many places there are on the course however I noticed Sheffield doesn't show that. Is there any way of finding out? (I'm really nervous I haven't met my offer)

Hi Lara

Thanks for your query :smile:. Each university decides if it will publish the number of places it has on each course and at Sheffield we generally choose not to, but please don't worry about this.

We know that this is an anxious time for students as everyone waits for the results to come out. We made you an offer to study here as we think you have the potential to get the grades and do well at Sheffield and we are delighted that we are your Firm choice. However, if something did go awry with your exams, you've missed your offer, and we still have places on the course, we will review your application. This review will include looking at the grades you've achieved (and the subjects you got each grade in) and re-reading your personal statement. We will then see if we can still accept you on the course.

I know it's easy for us to say but in general the students who worry the most about their results usually do really well and get the grades they need so please try not to worry too much.

If you do need to talk to us about your grades on A-level results day, please call our Clearing Helpline on 0114 222 8015.

I hope it all goes well.

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by kcv001
Hi!!
1) Is it possible to change my method of payment of my accommodation fees from "credit card" to "direct debit" before the 4th of Oct?
2) I would also like to know when should I expect to receive my CAS? I have an unconditional offer.

Thanks! :smile:

Good morning :smile:

1) Please contact our accommodation office to discuss changing your method of payment, [email protected] or +44 (0) 114 222 4488 (choose option 2)

2) I've contacted our Applicant Information Desk and they can look into this for you but we would need more details to find you on the system. I'll send you a private message about this.

Many thanks

Elizabeth
Original post by Ella2b
Hello, i sent my access course results to
[email protected] yesterday. Should i have recirved a reply either automatic acknowladgement of it being recieced or non automatic?

Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Ella

You have used the correct email address and should have received an automatic acknowledgement that your email had been received.

I have spoken to the Applicant Information Desk (AID) who look after the 'shefapply' email address and they are receiving a large volume of enquiries at the moment. Their advice is that you should give them a call and one of their friendly team members will be able to look into the matter for you. Their number is 0114 222 8030 and lines are open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. I would strongly advise that you call them this week because they are closed next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (10, 11 and 12 August) as they prepare for Clearing.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by Kemosabe99
Hey, Archaeology is BBB for both 2015 & 2016 yet for Clearing it is listed here (https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/courses/search?q%5Bkeyword%5D=F400) as being ABB. Is it possible to inquire why this is the case?

Many thanks

Hi :smile:

I'm sorry this discrepancy has crept into our information but thank you for finding it as we can now correct it. I think it's an oversight on our part and the grades should be BBB for Clearing. I'm checking with staff and I'll update you when I've heard from them.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by shedders15
Hi, I was just looking for some advice. I'm in a different situation to most this results day. I'm a 21 year old mature student and have a full time job, I already had a btec which is the equivalent of 1 B at A level. I've taken politics and business at As and A2 this year and I am hoping to get As in those. What are the chances of the university considering in me in clearing with those qualifications? I also have work experience as I am applying for a business related degree and have been working as a personal trainer for the last 3 years. Thanks.

We're really pleased that you're considering Sheffield as one of your options. We welcome applications from students who have a mixed academic profile (ie you've studied more than one type of qualification such as A-levels and BTEC) and you can apply for a place through Clearing. I would advise that you pre-register for Clearing as we can then let you know which courses have places. You can pre-register online at: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/

If you would like further advice, please contact our Applicant Information Desk on:
0114 222 8030. The Desk is open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday but, due to Clearing, will be closed from Monday-Wednesday next week (10,11 and 12 August).

Best regards and good luck!

Elizabeth
Original post by serafina44
Hi,
I have a question concerning how long it may take the university to review the documents I sent.

I sent the copies of my exam results and my IELTS report via email three weeks ago and received a confirmation from the UoS with a note that the documents will be attached to my application to be reviewed. It's been almost three weeks and I still haven't heard back from them.

Is anyone in similar situation? I'm concerned about it because I want to get the accommodation I've chosen and the longer I wait, the smaller the chances, I believe.

I'll be grateful for any information :smile:.

Dear Serafina44

I'm sorry there's been a delay in getting back to you. Our admissions teams are getting through emails as quickly as they can. The best thing to do is contact the Applicant Information Desk by phone, +44 (0) 114 222 8030, and an advisor can update you immediately on the status of your appplication. Phone lines are open, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm GMT.

Alternatively, if calling the Applicant Information Desk is difficult because you are outside the UK, please send me a private message via the studentroom with your name, date of birth, course you've applied for, and your contact details (email and phone number) and we'll look into this for you. Note: please do not provide these details via the forum as we want to keep your data safe and secure.

Many thanks

Elizabeth
Original post by Interzone Agent
Hey,

I'm taking English lit with a foundation year, is there a book list on the website, or will we get one emailed to us soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your query. The reading list for English Literature with a Foundation Year is on our online virtual learning environment called MOLE. You will be given access to MOLE when you come to the university during Intro Week in September. I'm afraid we can't provide access to it before. Rest assured that you will have time to do the reading for the course before seminars and lectures get fully underway.

The reading list for BA (Hons) English Literature is currently being updated. This is for students who are not doing a Foundation Year but I thought it might be of interest. You can see this reading list at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DSwOyUGmQEPENGZ3CwVjjfmuTkHhkZqKzT8EKzQBXFc/edit As part of the English Lit degree course, they are looking for students who have read a range of works and have a good awareness of the mythological, generic and religious contexts that literary works past and present draw upon. If you have time, it's probably a good use of time to start reading some of these works.

I hope that's useful. Enjoy the course :smile:

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield

Thank you for your query. The reading list for English Literature with a Foundation Year is on our online virtual learning environment called MOLE. You will be given access to MOLE when you come to the university during Intro Week in September. I'm afraid we can't provide access to it before. Rest assured that you will have time to do the reading for the course before seminars and lectures get fully underway.

The reading list for BA (Hons) English Literature is currently being updated. This is for students who are not doing a Foundation Year but I thought it might be of interest. You can see this reading list at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DSwOyUGmQEPENGZ3CwVjjfmuTkHhkZqKzT8EKzQBXFc/edit As part of the English Lit degree course, they are looking for students who have read a range of works and have a good awareness of the mythological, generic and religious contexts that literary works past and present draw upon. If you have time, it's probably a good use of time to start reading some of these works.

I hope that's useful. Enjoy the course :smile:

Elizabeth

Ah okay, great. Thanks Elizabeth.
Hi,

I think you have forgotten to reply to my question #162

Thanks
Hi,
I have a Medicine offer of AAA that I have firmed. I was wondering if I may still be accepted even if I miss these grades and get lower such as AAB? In addition what would happen if I were to get A*AB as it's equivalent? Finally as I take four A Levels would I be accepted with A*ABB?

Also what are the specific telephone numbers to ring the Medical school directly come results day?

Thank you
Original post by Ravster235
Hi,

I think you have forgotten to reply to my question #162

Thanks

Hi

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, rest assured you've not been forgotten! I'm trying to get the answer for you and will in touch as soon as possible. :smile:

All the best

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi :smile:

I'm sorry this discrepancy has crept into our information but thank you for finding it as we can now correct it. I think it's an oversight on our part and the grades should be BBB for Clearing. I'm checking with staff and I'll update you when I've heard from them.

Best regards

Elizabeth

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending