The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Pretty optimistic (as per) about the upcoming season, especially as Rowett is in charge from the start :biggrin: looking forward to starting with a win against Reading...it'll be nice to be back home.
2 days, 23 hours and 31 minutes to first kick off. Never felt so optimistic about a season!
Burnley Champions 15/16...
Football League Tonight starts at 9pm on Channel 5, then. A welcome change from watching Claridge at silly o'clock on BBC, it must be said.

All eyes on League One for me. I'm very, very curious as to who will run away with the league. I think Wigan expect it to be them, but Sheffield United will be there or thereabouts and I wouldn't be surprised to see Burton in the play-off mix.
Original post by TSR432
Burnley Champions 15/16...

How you feeling about your chances Saturday? I'm a Leeds fan.
We normally do poor at elland road and we've literally lost 3 of our best players, hat being said, we should do ok. 2-1 Burnley (Vossen, Boyd)
Championship is back this Friday!

Starting with Brighton v Nottingham Forest live on Sky Sports One, Friday at 7pm.
Can't wait for league 1 this year! Some excellent away days to come and hopefully another successful season with some more youngsters coming through.

Tick tock.
Only one team odds on favourite to win in the championship this weekend (Hull). Shows how wide open it is.
Predictions

Championship
Champions: Wolves
Promoted: Derby County
Play-offs: QPR, Middlesbrough, Hull City and Brentford.
Relegated: Preston, Huddersfield, Rotherham

League One
Champions: Sheffield United
Promoted: Wigan Athletic
Play-offs: Peterborough, Millwall, Scunthorpe United and Burton Albion.
Relegated: Crewe, Colchester, Port Vale and Oldham.

League Two
Champions: Luton Town
Promoted: Portsmouth, Oxford United
Play-offs: Leyton Orient, Cambridge United, Plymouth, Notts County
Relegated: Crawley Town and Accrington Stanley
I'll have a crack at a championship prediction, could have a go at league one but I won't. No chance with League 2.

Champions: Middlesborough
Promoted: Wolves and Leeds.
Play offs: Leeds, Hull, Derby and QPR.
Relegation: Roherham, Preston and MK Dons.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Championship is back this Friday!

Starting with Brighton v Nottingham Forest live on Sky Sports One, Friday at 7pm.

Already on it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3488169

Original post by The Wavefunction
I'll have a crack at a championship prediction, could have a go at league one but I won't. No chance with League 2.

Champions: Middlesborough
Promoted: Wolves and Leeds.
Play offs: Leeds, Hull, Derby and QPR.
Relegation: Roherham, Preston and MK Dons.

Such optimism :')

I think we'll finish 8th, but I'm doing that thing where I'm slightly underestimating our chances so I can be excited when we get promoted
Original post by TornadoGR4
Already on it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3488169

Such optimism :':wink:

I think we'll finish 8th, but I'm doing that thing where I'm slightly underestimating our chances so I can be excited when we get promoted

Maybe we won't be everyone's favourites to go up, and rightly so, but we've got a first team that can challenge any side, home or away. I feel if we can get off to a good start, we'll be tough to stop. Everything just feels right at the club (although we're a Cellino waking up on the wrong side of the bed away from all that blowing up in our faces).
I'm going for Boro top, Derby second and Wolves winning the play-offs.

Can't see Leeds getting into the top 6 either as the three aforementioned teams, Hull, Brentford, QPR, Ipswich and Burnley all have better squads. Leeds, for me, are in the "dark horse" category along with Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, Cardiff, Blackburn and Brighton - might be top 8 but no more than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nothing in it for me to predict. I really cant separate a lot of teams. I'll put a twist on it and say I don't think that Bora, Derby or any of the relegated prem teams will get automatically promoted.
I just don't want Derby or boro promoted. The money they have spent is ridiculous. Doesn't guarantee success, we went up in 13/14 spending nothing till January, which was signing Ashley Barnes.
Don't know too much about the Championship.

League One
Champions: Wigan
Promoted: Sheffield United
Play-offs: Barnsley, Bradford, Scunthorpe, Millwall
Relegated: Crewe, Colchester, Blackpool and Walsall

League Two
Promoted: Portsmouth, Cambridge
Play-offs: Notts County, Oxford, Plymouth, Exeter
Relegated: Crawley and Newport

From my perspective as a Chesterfield supporter, the transfer window couldn't have been any worse. Sold 3 key players (Clucas £1.3m, Darikwa £650k and Roberts £100k), another (Jimmy Ryan) has left, and Sam Morsy on the verge of leaving. IMO our five best players gone (or almost gone) and we've replaced them with Sylvan Ebanks Blake (good signing but doesn't replace any of those who left), a striker who made 6 appearances in the Conference last season, a midfielder from Sutton Coldfield Town, and a 3rd choice keeper. And we have 2 days before the season starts. Last Tuesday, our CEO promised new players "within 72 hours", and over 200 hours later there's no one. Hopefully you can see why a lot of our fans are so frustrated, especially following on from a great season when we made the L1 play offs and I now fear we will be in a relegation fight all season.
Original post by TSR432
I just don't want Derby or boro promoted. The money they have spent is ridiculous. Doesn't guarantee success, we went up in 13/14 spending nothing till January, which was signing Ashley Barnes.

Hardly "ridiculous". We've spent £9m on 7 players.

All of this after years of frugality and treading water under Clough and, to an extent, McClaren. I think we deserve a bit of a blowout, to be honest. Especially now the FFP rules have been relaxed a little bit.
Original post by joddcfc
Don't know too much about the Championship.

League One
Champions: Wigan
Promoted: Sheffield United
Play-offs: Barnsley, Bradford, Scunthorpe, Millwall
Relegated: Crewe, Colchester, Blackpool and Walsall

League Two
Promoted: Portsmouth, Cambridge
Play-offs: Notts County, Oxford, Plymouth, Exeter
Relegated: Crawley and Newport

From my perspective as a Chesterfield supporter, the transfer window couldn't have been any worse. Sold 3 key players (Clucas £1.3m, Darikwa £650k and Roberts £100k), another (Jimmy Ryan) has left, and Sam Morsy on the verge of leaving. IMO our five best players gone (or almost gone) and we've replaced them with Sylvan Ebanks Blake (good signing but doesn't replace any of those who left), a striker who made 6 appearances in the Conference last season, a midfielder from Sutton Coldfield Town, and a 3rd choice keeper. And we have 2 days before the season starts. Last Tuesday, our CEO promised new players "within 72 hours", and over 200 hours later there's no one. Hopefully you can see why a lot of our fans are so frustrated, especially following on from a great season when we made the L1 play offs and I now fear we will be in a relegation fight all season.

Well you knew what you were getting with Dean Saunders
Original post by shawn_o1
Well you knew what you were getting with Dean Saunders

Tbf, i would place the majority of the blame with the owner Dave Allen who is just asset stripping. He claims that 30% of money from player sales is reinvested into the squad with 70% going on debt, but we haven't seen so much as 1% yet. In January we sold the country's top scorer Eoin Doyle for £850k and replaced him with a £10k league 2 player who Cheltenham (who later got relegated to non league) didn't want.

Quick Reply

Latest