The Student Room Group

Degree choice Help!

O.K so I know I posted this somewhere else but think its more suited here...

Hi, I'm a mature student and I need some advice on the degree subject I should do.

I studied a Access to Biomedical Science course this year and got 33 Credits at distinction and 9 credits at Merit. I was originally planning on studying Biomedical Science at Uni (in London) but I have really enjoyed Chemistry during my course, so have been looking at courses such as Medicinal chemistry and Pharmaceutical Science in clearing.

I'm really confused as to what course I should do sometimes I think I should do a degree I enjoy (chemistry with some biology) and sometimes I think I'm too old and should do something that will get me a job (IBMS Biomed degree).

Please help, with some advice. ( I'm not fussed about the uni), Currently I applied to Kingston Uni for Pharmaceutical Science as I am interested in a career in research.

Thanx.
Original post by Nunu1

Hi, I'm a mature student and I need some advice on the degree subject I should do.

I studied a Access to Biomedical Science course this year and got 33 Credits at distinction and 9 credits at Merit. I was originally planning on studying Biomedical Science at Uni (in London) but I have really enjoyed Chemistry during my course, so have been looking at courses such as Medicinal chemistry and Pharmaceutical Science in clearing.

I'm really confused as to what course I should do sometimes I think I should do a degree I enjoy (chemistry with some biology) and sometimes I think I'm too old and should do something that will get me a job (IBMS Biomed degree).

Please help, with some advice. ( I'm not fussed about the uni), Currently I applied to Kingston Uni for Pharmaceutical Science as I am interested in a career in research.

Thanx.

In my opinion I think u should study chemistry as it seems u really enjoyed it don't take the decision in a rush either it is ur choice
All the best
Original post by Nunu1

Thanx.

Biomed will in no way guarantee a job. Maybe even the opposite because there are just so many biomed graduates. If however, you can complete a chemistry degree and get a decent grade that may stand you in better stead. Having worked in the biomed industry in the past our chemistry graduates were always much more respected than our biomed ones.
Look at Medical Science at Bristol.

The program is called Cellular and Molecular Medicine and has a common first year and then a choice of named pathways - Cancer biology and immunology, Cellular and molecular medicine, Medical microbiology, Virology and immunology, each as a named degree. You can also opt for a Year in Industry which would give your CV a flying start. More info : http://www.bris.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/degrees/ and http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2016/cellular-molecular/bsc-cellular-and-molecular-medicine-with-study-in/

Access requirements are 'Pass Access to HE Diploma (Science) including two sciences at Level 3, with at least 30 credits at Distinction including 12 credits in chemistry, and 15 credits at Merit'.
Reply 4
Pharmacy, Medical Science, Biochemistry, Medicinal Chemistry.

Your grades (33 @ Distinction) will definitely be enough to get a place in most universities that accept Access to HE qualifications for the above degrees.
Reply 5
Original post by SuperCat007
Biomed will in no way guarantee a job. Maybe even the opposite because there are just so many biomed graduates. If however, you can complete a chemistry degree and get a decent grade that may stand you in better stead. Having worked in the biomed industry in the past our chemistry graduates were always much more respected than our biomed ones.

So you have worked in the Biomed industry? What sort of post was it if you don't mind me asking? Do you think a Pharmaceutical Sciences degree with a year in industry from say Hertfordshire Uni or Kingston would help me to get into research?
Reply 6
I really like the pharmaceutical Bsc at Hertfordshire, the modules seem really good.
Original post by Nunu1
So you have worked in the Biomed industry? What sort of post was it if you don't mind me asking? Do you think a Pharmaceutical Sciences degree with a year in industry from say Hertfordshire Uni or Kingston would help me to get into research?

I have, microbiology. The problem with the biomed courses is that not only are they WAY overpopulated, but so many are also accredited making the accreditation kind of pointless as so many graduates come out each year. If that's what you really want to do then do it, but if you're doing it assuming that because of the accreditation it will guarantee a job then sadly that just isn't true.

The point is that if you've really enjoyed chemistry then it might be worth pursuing something more chemically based, because as I've already said doing a biomed degree assuming that the accreditation will help you get somewhere is pointless if it isn't what you really want to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you should do chemistry :smile: look at the jobs each degree leads to (should be in the degree description ) and see which one you'd most enjoy doing. Perhaps phone the universities and ask in more detail about the course you're most interested in and see if it takes your fancy. I think all of those degrees will lead to a good job if you get a 2.1 so go for the one you think you'll do best in ^^ good luck
Reply 9
Speaking as a mature student who has just graduated go for the degree you love! I have loved my 3 years studying cell and molecular biology, so much so I have just registered on a postgrad course. Go for chemistry if that's what you love.
Reply 10
Hello everyone,

I went for Structural Molecular Biology at Birkbeck College in the end. Not chemistry but very few London universities actually do chemistry outside of the top unis.
Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending