The Student Room Group

Early Study during holidays

I'm gonna go into yr 11 after these holidays and I was thinking whether I should do some early studying on next years or subjects or not?

Scroll to see replies

Same here. I've started - it helps a lot.
Reply 2
Yes and no.
Don't legit start studying now, just go over the subjects you'll be learning in year 11 so you know what to expect.
I've already got my Biology GCSE book and I'm just reading through, skimming even. Don't take notes, unless you find a subject that you know you'll find difficult, do some research instead.
This way you'll already be ahead and prepared when you start school in September
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by imaanr
Yes and no.
Don't legit start studying now, just go over the subjects you'll be learning in year 11 so you know what to expect.
I've already got my Biology GCSE book and I'm just reading through, skimming even. Don't take notes, unless you find a subject that you know you'll find difficult, do some research instead.
This you'll already be ahead and prepared when you start school in September

Yep I would rather just go over them and skim read instead of trying to self teachmyself before I've started the lessons lol thanks for your reply and yeah that's what im doing for geog now our teacher has given us a timetable on which we make notes and answer exam questions so we are ready for mocks and the real gcse so yeah your right it does help, thanks for your reply it helped.
Reply 4
Original post by sulaimanali
Same here. I've started - it helps a lot.

Remember what the other poster said skim reading and don't start going into depth and stuff you may end up confusing yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by JohnLE
Yep I would rather just go over them and skim read instead of trying to self teach myself before I've started the lessons lol thanks for your reply and yeah that's what I'm doing for geog now our teacher has given us a timetable on which we make notes and answer exam questions so we are ready for mocks and the real GCSE so yeah you're right it does help, thanks for your reply it helped.

Haha! It's okay, just make sure you don't go overboard. Read little by little each day. Even though I'm starting yr 11 in September I've already done 2 GCSE's. And from that experience I can tell is that I wish I started revising sooner.
Reply 6
Original post by imaanr
Haha! It's okay, just make sure you don't go overboard. Read little by little each day. Even though I'm starting yr 11 in September I've already done 2 GCSE's. And from that experience I can tell is that I wish I started revising sooner.

I've done one (core science) it was good the bio and chem papers were really easy and the physics was okay.
Reply 7
Original post by JohnLE
I've done one (core science) it was good the bio and chem papers were really easy and the physics was okay.

Really? When?
I've also done my Chemistry and Physics. I did it in yr 10.
Well, Chemistry in yr 9 but I decided to do a resit because I wasn't happy with my result. Did you hear about the question that gave the answer in the next question in the Chem paper? It was all over the news. Apparently it was a mistake.
Reply 8
Original post by imaanr
Really? When?
I've also done my Chemistry and Physics. I did it in yr 10.
Well, Chemistry in yr 9 but I decided to do a resit because I wasn't happy with my result. Did you hear about the question that gave the answer in the next question in the Chem paper? It was all over the news. Apparently it was a mistake.

I did the exams in May should get the result when I go back. I was on the edexcel exam board so the mistake wasn't in mine lol it's was funny though they've done it a few times I think. Are you doing aqa triple?
Reply 9
Original post by JohnLE
I did the exams in May should get the result when I go back. I was on the edexcel exam board so the mistake wasn't in mine lol it's was funny though they've done it a few times I think. Are you doing aqa triple?

Haha! Yh, it was so funny. You wouldn't really expect it specially because these are official exams and not written by teachers but oh well, I ain't complaining.
Yh, I'm doing AQA triple
Reply 10
Have you done the Section 2 bits yet? Because I wouldn't suggest learning something before you've done it in lesson. The best thing you could do (or at least what I found helpful) is revising after the lessons, it will stick better that way and will probably make more sense.

Also, I was one of those who sat the Chemistry paper which gave the answer :biggrin: Basically the first question was something like 'Limestone is mostly ______', then in question 5 it said 'Limestone is mostly calcium carbonate' 😂😂
Reply 11
Original post by Misora
Have you done the Section 2 bits yet? Because I wouldn't suggest learning something before you've done it in lesson. The best thing you could do (or at least what I found helpful) is revising after the lessons, it will stick better that way and will probably make more sense.

Also, I was one of those who sat the Chemistry paper which gave the answer :biggrin: Basically the first question was something like 'Limestone is mostly ______', then in question 5 it said 'Limestone is mostly calcium carbonate' 😂😂

Do u mean p2 c2 b2, no I haven't I'm doing double sci so I'm gonna. Do those in yr 11, in yr 9 my sci grade was an E but a couple of months into yr 10 I found it interesting and easy and now I'm on an A and my teachers predict me an A for core science. I wanna do triple cos I find chemistry really interesting and easy and bio and physics. Oh lol I dunno how they never realised hat mistake but did u see the edescel maths paper one with the hard question?
Reply 12
Original post by JohnLE
Do u mean p2 c2 b2, no I haven't I'm doing double sci so I'm gonna. Do those in yr 11, in yr 9 my sci grade was an E but a couple of months into yr 10 I found it interesting and easy and now I'm on an A and my teachers predict me an A for core science. I wanna do triple cos I find chemistry really interesting and easy and bio and physics. Oh lol I dunno how they never realised hat mistake but did u see the edescel maths paper one with the hard question?

Yeah I did have that paper unfortunately :frown: It's not that it was hard, it was just stupid, if you're talking about the 'Hannah's Sweets' question.
Reply 13
Original post by Misora
Yeah I did have that paper unfortunately :frown: It's not that it was hard, it was just stupid, if you're talking about the 'Hannah's Sweets' question.

yep that was the one
Reply 14
I'd say take notes from subjects you struggled on from last year or just to recap everything. That is what i am doing and it is helping. You might also want to make revision cards.
Reply 15
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'd say take notes from subjects you struggled on from last year or just to recap everything. That is what i am doing and it is helping. You might also want to make revision cards.

I got some notes just gonna read over n do some more research into what I don't understand thanks for your help. Do you know where I could get some revision cards rectangular coloured ones?
Reply 16
Before I started Year 10 I bought CGP books for the sciences because I found them difficult. Over the summer I made extensive notes and this made all lessons revision rather than work. This, of course, had the added effect of making every science lesson very boring.

Got 3 A*s in my sciences though :smile:
Honestly you really don't. Gcses don't matter aslong as you get the specific grade required for college/ 6 form so it isn't the end off the world if you dont do we well on a few subjects(exept english and maths, maybe science dependant on what you want to do).
If you really wanted to then I guess you could have a look at the new gcses spec and get used to the ideas they are based around as they will be more academically rigorous than past gcses (that I was lucky to take :wink: ). You could also read the texts for english lit if you know them.
But in all honestly you really don't need to I started revising for GCSEs in Easter break and it was the perfect time.
Good luck though and enjoy Y11 :smile:
Making a few notes will do no harm at all.

Skips :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by JohnLE
I got some notes just gonna read over n do some more research into what I don't understand thanks for your help. Do you know where I could get some revision cards rectangular coloured ones?

Sure! Try WHSmith: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-multicolour-record-cards/33302454

Or eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revision-Flash-Index-Silvine-Record-Cards-White-Plain-Ruled-Coloured-FREE-P-P-/201077916013?var=&hash=item2ed12d816d

I personally prefer the latter :smile:

Good luck with your revision :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest