The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladybird198
Hi. I wasn't aware that Warwick use VR scores - do you know how they use it in the shortlisting process?

Original post by Rose256
Oh....ok. What was the cut off in VR last year?

Last year you had to get above the mean score for VR which I think was 570 or something? I got 600 in VR and got an interview. I wouldn't bother guessing as to whether they'll keep their requirements the same or not this year, we didn't find out about that change until AFTER we applied last year!
Original post by MJK91
Last year you had to get above the mean score for VR which I think was 570 or something? I got 600 in VR and got an interview. I wouldn't bother guessing as to whether they'll keep their requirements the same or not this year, we didn't find out about that change until AFTER we applied last year!

That's not so bad, I think the majority of applicants with a competitive UKCAT would have over 570 VR (or whatever the average is this year)
Original post by sampowell92
That's not so bad, I think the majority of applicants with a competitive UKCAT would have over 570 VR (or whatever the average is this year)

Yeah but it'd suck ass if you got a high average from 3 sections but bailed on the first!
Original post by MJK91

Thanks, thats useful to know. Have just been on their website though and there's nothing about VR scores there! Just the cut-offs from the last 3 years.... You would expect a bit more transparency!
Original post by kgee
Nope.. Any employment you have had...doesn't have to be in medicine

Thanks
Original post by ladybird198
Hi. I wasn't aware that Warwick use VR scores - do you know how they use it in the shortlisting process?

On the open day the admission tutor mentioned the following:

"Emphasis will be placed this year on the VR section wherein applicants that fall in the bottom trait are immediately rejected, which are scores that fall below the mean national average as quoted from the UKCAT to be 571 for 2014. The UKCAT is then scored on a point basis with no given cut-off scores, as these change on a year by year basis.

Further points are then awarded from academic qualifications, with post-graduate qualifications (MSc/PhD) lowering the required UKCAT cut-off score needed for an interview".

Hope that helps! And so far, it seems that the VR and DA sections are going to be rather low this year...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PkT1991

"Emphasis will be placed this year on the VR section wherein applicants that fall in the bottom trait are immediately rejected, which are scores that fall below the mean national average as quoted from the UKCAT to be 571 for 2014. The UKCAT is then scored on a point basis with no given cut-off scores, as these change on a year by year basis.

Further points are then awarded from academic qualifications, with post-graduate qualifications (MSc/PhD) lowering the required UKCAT cut-off score needed for an interview".

Hope that helps! And so far, it seems that the VR and DA sections are going to be rather low this year...

What's the point system? So do they have a preference on students with masters/PhD? Or does this mean they just need a lower ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1127
Thanks PKT, MJK and others. Some really good information there.
Original post by Danny129
Thanks I will pass on the advice to her. Regarding preparation for entrance exams when is the deadline for her to take the exam/exams. Also do you know anyone who went from Nursing to Grad Med from either personal Exprerience or on TSR? She is really passionate about a career in Medicine but is worried that she will be sidelined to those who come from science heavy degrees eg.Biochem etc.

In your experience which uni is the 'easiest' per se to get into?

Thanks Again

If she finishes in January there is not reason why she cannot apply this year. Granted it is too late for decent GAMSAT prep but she could still take the UKCAT.

Nursing is both a benefit or a hindrance when it comes down to degree suitability for GEM. On one hand it offers plenty of experiences and insight to allow her to explain her reasonings for wanting to switch to medicine and understanding what a career in medicine entails. On the other hand it is not heavily science based, so it may limit her if she does not have a-level Chemistry behind her. That said, I think Kings is still accepting it even though they have started only allowing life science degrees.

It is a shame that Leicester have stopped their GEM programme as it was the only one who required caring work experience, though she would not have qualified for it straight away. She needs to be able to clearly articulate her reasons for wanting to switch and how she can adapt the skills she has gained from nursing.

My final point is she really needs to look in to it. It is one thing to admire the Drs she works with and want their job. But does she really know what she is signing up for? Has she looked at what the degree entails (it is a whole different ballgame to a nursing degree) and talked to current doctors about the good and (unfortunately many) bad points?

I am certainly not the only one who has made the switch, so it certainly is possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PkT1991

Really helpful! I'm applying for Warwick this year, as long as ukcat is up to scratch. What makes you say vr and da sections will be low?
Reply 1130
Original post by ZJT
So, I messed up my UKCAT yesterday...

Avr. 697.5
VR 620
QR 880
AR 660
DA 630
SJ Band 1

I graduated this year with a comfortable first (78%) in Biochemistry and need to work this year to be able to save some money. I don't have A Level Chemistry which really seems to be a problem. Is it actually worth applying with this UKCAT score as my only real options with UKCAT and no chem A Level are Newcastle, Warwick, Queens, and kings (ha, yeah right).Is it worth contacting some universities and asking in my Biochem undergrad in any way compensates for my lack of chem A Level?

Thanks!

This is still a good score and may be competitive enough depending on how people do! Can I ask what went wrong for you if you were expecting 750? And what was QR like if you got such a high score???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks to whoever posted the link to this website www.applyingformedicine.co.uk
Original post by ZJT
So, I messed up my UKCAT yesterday...

Avr. 697.5
VR 620
QR 880
AR 660
DA 630
SJ Band 1

I graduated this year with a comfortable first (78%) in Biochemistry and need to work this year to be able to save some money. I don't have A Level Chemistry which really seems to be a problem. Is it actually worth applying with this UKCAT score as my only real options with UKCAT and no chem A Level are Newcastle, Warwick, Queens, and kings (ha, yeah right).Is it worth contacting some universities and asking in my Biochem undergrad in any way compensates for my lack of chem A Level?

Thanks!

Aside from fact I haven't taken ukcat yet, I'm in same position- graduated 78%, no chemistry a level, I would still apply, especially with Warwick in mind! Have you thought about Birmingham? They don't use ukcat or anything.
Reply 1133
Original post by Absorbaloff
Some uni's don't care what course you studied, eg Warwick, St George's, Swansea, but places like Imperial and Bristol don't accept professional courses like nursing. You still have to be tactical, St George's only takes 30 students and you certainly don't want to have to do all three entrance exams.

Since she's a January starter, she won't finish until Jan? She can do Gamsat and UKCAT in 2016. I've just finished adult nursing, and there is also another adult nurse on my course afaik, you won't be sidelined just because you have a nursing degree, if anything it looks good as you have a vast amount of experience. The only problem is that nursing is a professional degree in itself, so you better have a really good answer to why you're switching careers.

There are no easy options, this is the hunger games.

That's really true... Some unis will really stretch you out on why switching a professional career in similar field for another...I had similar problem when I attended interview and being an odp, I got told point blank I was testing careers to see which one works best for me though I was able to bring out an answer to support my situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Richardjamesford
Aside from fact I haven't taken ukcat yet, I'm in same position- graduated 78%, no chemistry a level, I would still apply, especially with Warwick in mind! Have you thought about Birmingham? They don't use ukcat or anything.

Also Bristol is one for no admissions test but you do need AAB at A Level with A in chemistry which is frustrating for many. I'd definitely consider Birmingham with a first!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kgee
That's really true... Some unis will really stretch you out on why switching a professional career in similar field for another...I had similar problem when I attended interview and being an odp, I got told point blank I was testing careers to see which one works best for me though I was able to bring out an answer to support my situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's a really shi*ty position to put you in. I can't imagine other applicants in other professions being asked if they're testing careers :|

I think the problem with applying as an AHP or nurse/midwife will always lead to the 'why are you turning away from your profession' (as Cambridge worded it), or 'well its similar to medicine, so how do you know its for you' :unimpressed:
Original post by ForestCat
If she finishes in January there is not reason why she cannot apply this year. Granted it is too late for decent GAMSAT prep but she could still take the UKCAT.

Nursing is both a benefit or a hindrance when it comes down to degree suitability for GEM. On one hand it offers plenty of experiences and insight to allow her to explain her reasonings for wanting to switch to medicine and understanding what a career in medicine entails. On the other hand it is not heavily science based, so it may limit her if she does not have a-level Chemistry behind her. That said, I think Kings is still accepting it even though they have started only allowing life science degrees.

It is a shame that Leicester have stopped their GEM programme as it was the only one who required caring work experience, though she would not have qualified for it straight away. She needs to be able to clearly articulate her reasons for wanting to switch and how she can adapt the skills she has gained from nursing.

My final point is she really needs to look in to it. It is one thing to admire the Drs she works with and want their job. But does she really know what she is signing up for? Has she looked at what the degree entails (it is a whole different ballgame to a nursing degree) and talked to current doctors about the good and (unfortunately many) bad points?

I am certainly not the only one who has made the switch, so it certainly is possible.

Thanks so much for the great response especially from a fellow nurse who has made the switch. When you say apply this year do mean for 2016 entry? If so how long will this leave her for prep for GAMSAT?

She completely understands the bad sides of applying to medicine as I have mentioned before she originally wanted to study medicine but a low grades at a level slowed her down. I agree with Leicester stopping their GEM course. She is planning to apply to Newcastle, Warwick,St George's and Kings. But is still undecided about this as she is contemplating about UKCAT and GAMSAT.

Finally, may I ask which uni do you attend? Also what your academic credentials when applying?

Thanks again, and cool name :tongue:
Original post by Danny129
Thanks so much for the great response especially from a fellow nurse who has made the switch. When you say apply this year do mean for 2016 entry? If so how long will this leave her for prep for GAMSAT?

She completely understands the bad sides of applying to medicine as I have mentioned before she originally wanted to study medicine but a low grades at a level slowed her down. I agree with Leicester stopping their GEM course. She is planning to apply to Newcastle, Warwick,St George's and Kings. But is still undecided about this as she is contemplating about UKCAT and GAMSAT.

Finally, may I ask which uni do you attend? Also what your academic credentials when applying?

Thanks again, and cool name :tongue:

Yes. The deadline for applications for 2016 entry is 15th October, meaning she would have to get a wriggle on. GAMSAT is on the 9th September this year meaning its not feasible for this year. However she has up until the start of October to sit the UKCAT, which would still allow her to appy for Newcastle, Warwick and Kings depending on her score. If she has chemistry then Southampton is also an option if she scores well enough on UKCAT.

I'm at Leicester. I have ABBC at a-level (Maths, bio, chem and f.maths) and a 1st in my nursing degree. I had been qualified 3 years before I started but I do know people who've gone straight from nursing to med.
Reply 1138
Original post by tw781
This is still a good score and may be competitive enough depending on how people do! Can I ask what went wrong for you if you were expecting 750? And what was QR like if you got such a high score???

Posted from TSR Mobile

VR and AR were both towards the bottom end of my expectations from practice tests but within the sort of range I was expecting. However, DA (along with QR) was my strong point and I have consistently scored 800+ for the 600Q, the 3 the online ukcat papers and the Kaplan book. After the exam I felt confident I'd scored in the 800+ range and was very surprised by my result, the section certainly didn't feel any more challenging and I was comfortable for time.QR. I don't really know what to say on it; I find/found this section very simple. The feeling of impending doom you get when trying to complete the 600Q practice questions within a time limit is in no way representative of the real test, the ukcat online practice tests are much closer. I know there are areas where I'm very strong and areas where I'm weaker, I guess/flag whole blocks of questions when they're not my most comfortable, quickly complete the ones I feel most confident with and review the others when I've got banked time to play with and therefor not as stressed.
Original post by ninalouise258
I have my UKCAT and GAMSAT very soon and I'm way behind on revision. I have 11 weeks til I hand in my PhD thesis. I've never felt so tired and foggy in my life - I thought it was just stress affecting my body but I got my bloods back on Friday. I honestly thought I was going crazy, I'm usually so glad to be busy and motivated to do it all. I'm not sure how long it will be before I feel better and I'm scared I'll flunk these exams and possibly my viva and then I'll be screwed! I'm not sure if I have pernicious anaemia or if it is simply diet related. It's encouraging to know you are carrying on with everything despite that. :smile: just freaking out I guess. Thanks for the reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That does sound like a lot to handle! I hope you feel well enough soon that you can still feel like applying. Could you cut down to just UKCAT so not to miss out this year entirely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending