The Student Room Group

LSE vs Warwick

Haven't even got my grades back yet so I don't even know if this would definitely be realistic (haven't even taken further maths either so Warwick Econ may not even be an option) but I am curious as to what people think about both of the unis + what people think about economics and economics history (LSE) vs Economics (Warwick)
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
LSE is ranked higher than Warwick, and for economics the reputation is a lot better, but obviously it depends on grades and other stuff if you want to get in. For example, if you're applying for Econ and Econ History, you will have to devote just as much of your PS to Econ History as you do to Econ, as per this(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/whatMakesAGoodPersonalStatement.aspx) PS guide released by LSE, which could make it hard to apply elsewhere seeing as not many Unis offer Econ and Econ History. Also, Further Maths is really useful to have. I personally made the decision to do the whole A Level in a year, because after speaking to an admissions tutor it was obvious that it gives you a significant amount of help when applying.
Original post by tommyprice5
LSE is ranked higher than Warwick, and for economics the reputation is a lot better, but obviously it depends on grades and other stuff if you want to get in. For example, if you're applying for Econ and Econ History, you will have to devote just as much of your PS to Econ History as you do to Econ, as per this(http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/whatMakesAGoodPersonalStatement.aspx) PS guide released by LSE, which could make it hard to apply elsewhere seeing as not many Unis offer Econ and Econ History. Also, Further Maths is really useful to have. I personally made the decision to do the whole A Level in a year, because after speaking to an admissions tutor it was obvious that it gives you a significant amount of help when applying.

Ah ok well thanks for the advice. I wouldn't take further maths this year simply because it would be a detriment to the grades in my other subjects. Though I do believe that I can balance economics and economics history in the personal statement well and still apply for pure econ at another uni simply because its history of economics atleast so I won't be going completely off topic and if done well it could just look like an impressive economics personal statement to another uni. Thanks a lot for the advice though honestly :smile:

You're doing the whole of FM in a year? What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
You're doing the whole of FM in a year? What other subjects are you doing?

Maths Econ History EPQ

Who needs a social life anyway
Maths Econ History EPQ

Who needs a social life anyway

Is Further Maths that essential? I don't have FM but I want to apply for Economics at UCL
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Is Further Maths that essential? I don't have FM but I want to apply for Economics at UCL

From what I have seen it seems the ones most fussed about it are possibly Cambridge and definitely LSE (they seem to be quite picky about it). UCL without further maths should be fine so long as the rest of your application is strong, at least that is what I think.

Quick Reply

Latest