The Student Room Group

How do you know you are real?

And not just some Looney who thinks they reall?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you're stupid mate.
Reply 2
I know I'm real because I represent a value on the number lime.
Original post by strat93

You would love the study of Philosophy. That's one of the first topics I covered at AS-level. The truth is, there is no way of knowing.
My actions affect other objects and entities, so therefore I must exist in this universe to do so.
Original post by strat93

Aren't you referring to yourself here? :giggle:
I'm not even sure mirrors or our eyes are real at this point in time :erm:
How can we not be real?

This thread seems a bit silly. :/
Reply 8
Original post by Mary562
I think you're stupid mate.

No you stupid.
Original post by somemightsay888
I'm not even sure mirrors or our eyes are real at this point in time :erm:

3 Jaden Smith for me
Reply 10
Original post by offhegoes
I know I'm real because I represent a value on the number lime.

But how do you know you actually on the line?
Reply 11
Original post by strat93

Whether or not we are real, we live in some form of reality which makes our presence and existence in it real
I think, therefore I am.

My Philosophy degree finally useful for something. But seriously, you might enjoy Descartes Meditations.
Reply 13
Original post by carrotstar
You would love the study of Philosophy. That's one of the first topics I covered at AS-level. The truth is, there is no way of knowing.

So there is no prove we are real?
Reply 14
Original post by strat93
No you stupid.

Clearly you're stupid considering the last thread you made. That was rude.
Reply 15
Original post by Mary562
Clearly you're stupid considering the last thread you made. That was rude.

>calling people stupid
>says "thats rude" when called stupid
Reply 16
Original post by demx9
>calling people stupid
>says "thats rude" when called stupid

Lol I don't care whether he called me stupid. I mean the thread he made about God or whatever that was rude in regard to atheists.
Reply 17
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
My actions affect other objects and entities, so therefore I must exist in this universe to do so.

But how do you know you have an affect and you not just imagining it.
Original post by strat93
But how do you know you have an affect and you not just imagining it.

If someone cuts your head off, are you imagining death then?
Original post by strat93
So there is no prove we are real?

It depends what you perceive as 'proof'.

The most basic phrase which 'proves' one's existence was suggested by Descartes; "I think, therefore I am".

By this logic, I must exist because I have the ability to think. However, how do I prove anything except that my mind exists?

The only evidence that other 'things' exist is produced by the senses: touch, smell, taste, sound and sight. Each of these is interpreted by the mind. Therefore it is possible that the mind does not only interpret the senses, but also invents them. This would mean that I am just 'a thinking thing', and there is no proof that anything I sense around me, including a physical body, exists. My mind may well be inventing everything I sense. This might also suggest that I am the only being in existence.

Another view using the same logic might suggest that if my mind has created the world around me which I 'sense', I am God.

It really is a very interesting subject and I suggest you do some reading on Descartes. Studying him will also bring up other theorists with contrasting and complimentary ideas.

Edit: I also suggest you watch The Matrix films as they demonstrate quite well that what you perceive to be real may not be.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest