The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninalouise258
That's a good idea. I have the weird stance of being from a physics background so I have to go to 'any subject' unis as the 'science only' ones seem to want Bio or Chem degrees. Planned choices are Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham and Swansea. My A levels are maths, physics and graphic design. If I could only go back and have done Chemistry haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see. Yeah it would be a shame to cut out half your options out. But at least it would give you a run at applying this year and if nothing else its practice at applying and the UKCAT.
Original post by ForestCat
Yes. The deadline for applications for 2016 entry is 15th October, meaning she would have to get a wriggle on. GAMSAT is on the 9th September this year meaning its not feasible for this year. However she has up until the start of October to sit the UKCAT, which would still allow her to appy for Newcastle, Warwick and Kings depending on her score. If she has chemistry then Southampton is also an option if she scores well enough on UKCAT.

I'm at Leicester. I have ABBC at a-level (Maths, bio, chem and f.maths) and a 1st in my nursing degree. I had been qualified 3 years before I started but I do know people who've gone straight from nursing to med.

She is currently also in the middle of writing her dissertation so is trying to juggle both at the same time. For her fourth option what would you suggest as she doesn't have a strong grade for chemistry at a level. So Southampton wouldn't be an option.

This a message to everyone on the thread: I would appreciate any resources that you could give to help me with my preparation for the UKCAT. This includes everything from books to links online which h have really helped you get a high score on the UKCAT. Also it could simply be personal experience of taking the test and things you did to get a high score on the test. :smile:
Original post by Danny129
She is currently also in the middle of writing her dissertation so is trying to juggle both at the same time. For her fourth option what would you suggest as she doesn't have a strong grade for chemistry at a level. So Southampton wouldn't be an option.

This a message to everyone on the thread: I would appreciate any resources that you could give to help me with my preparation for the UKCAT. This includes everything from books to links online which h have really helped you get a high score on the UKCAT. Also it could simply be personal experience of taking the test and things you did to get a high score on the test. :smile:

I took the test a couple of weeks ago and got 772.5 average.

The only resources I used were the Kaplan Score Higher book and Medify (an online revision resource), as well as the official mocks on the UKCAT website.
(edited 8 years ago)

The main ukcat thread is a good place to start. I personally used two books (the 600q book which is a bit outdated and the QR is ridiculous and the ukcat for dummies) to get to grips with the test and then Medify for the bulk of my practice.

I am not sure about the 4th option TBH. Barts perhaps... but this would all bank on her doing well in the UKCAT. She would need to check with Barts whether nursing would preclude her from needing BB (in chem and bio) at A-level because I am not sure nursing contains enough science.
Original post by ForestCat
The main ukcat thread is a good place to start. I personally used two books (the 600q book which is a bit outdated and the QR is ridiculous and the ukcat for dummies) to get to grips with the test and then Medify for the bulk of my practice.

I am not sure about the 4th option TBH. Barts perhaps... but this would all bank on her doing well in the UKCAT. She would need to check with Barts whether nursing would preclude her from needing BB (in chem and bio) at A-level because I am not sure nursing contains enough science.

I contacted Barts and they said she would still need as level chem and bio at grade B so still unsure about 4th option :frown:
I contacted Barts and they said she would still need as level chem and bio at grade B so still unsure about 4th option :frown:

Then I'm not too sure then. Perhaps apply for 3 this year, depending on how the ukcat goes. And if she's unsuccessful try again next year and take the GAMSAT as well.
Original post by ninalouise258
That's a good idea. I have the weird stance of being from a physics background so I have to go to 'any subject' unis as the 'science only' ones seem to want Bio or Chem degrees. Planned choices are Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham and Swansea. My A levels are maths, physics and graphic design. If I could only go back and have done Chemistry haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting at Notts next month so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask. :smile:
Is it too late to apply for the GAMSAT?
Original post by sampowell92
I took the test a couple of weeks ago and got 772.5 average.

The only resources I used were the Kaplan Score Higher book and Medify (an online revision resource), as well as the official mocks on the UKCAT website.

We're the official mocks representative for QR. I have done mock A and B and scored poorly in QR for both! This is scaring me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZJT
VR and AR were both towards the bottom end of my expectations from practice tests but within the sort of range I was expecting. However, DA (along with QR) was my strong point and I have consistently scored 800+ for the 600Q, the 3 the online ukcat papers and the Kaplan book. After the exam I felt confident I'd scored in the 800+ range and was very surprised by my result, the section certainly didn't feel any more challenging and I was comfortable for time.QR. I don't really know what to say on it; I find/found this section very simple. The feeling of impending doom you get when trying to complete the 600Q practice questions within a time limit is in no way representative of the real test, the ukcat online practice tests are much closer. I know there are areas where I'm very strong and areas where I'm weaker, I guess/flag whole blocks of questions when they're not my most comfortable, quickly complete the ones I feel most confident with and review the others when I've got banked time to play with and therefor not as stressed.

I have found the QR for mocksA and B really hard, as have quite a few on othe threads. You're saying the actual thing is the same difficulty! I'm ****ed. I've heard Medify is a good representation for QR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
We're the official mocks representative for QR. I have done mock A and B and scored poorly in QR for both! This is scaring me

Posted from TSR Mobile

QR in the real thing is easier than mocks A and B
Is it too late to apply for the GAMSAT?

Pretty much. You can up until the 10th Aug but you pay an extra £60 for the privilege. Its too late really though, to start revision for it. That is unless you have a strong science background.
http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/gamsat-uk
QR in the real thing is easier than mocks A and B

Thank you! This is a relief. I get 70% plus with Medify and Kaplan so hoping it'll be like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1153
Original post by HCAssistant93
I have found the QR for mocksA and B really hard, as have quite a few on othe threads. You're saying the actual thing is the same difficulty! I'm ****ed. I've heard Medify is a good representation for QR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The QR section is probably easier than the mocks as there is far less information to dig through in order to start calculating an answer. This means less chance of silly errors and more useful time available for calculations instead reading/rereading and checking tables. Get comfortable on the content from the mocks and you'll be fine. It looks like a good year if this is your weaker section.

Yeah Medify would be another good resource for QR, it has a decent amount of problems to work through and they're mostly around the right level. I liked it's AR section too, but it was the first resource I used for AR so it may have just helped me over the initial WTF. Again, a decent amount of problems to work through so it's good practice. Its VR section seemed easier as the questions tend to lead you through the passage a little predictably from start to finish in many cases.
Original post by ZJT
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The QR section is probably easier than the mocks as there is far less information to dig through in order to start calculating an answer. This means less chance of silly errors and more useful time available for calculations instead reading/rereading and checking tables. Get comfortable on the content from the mocks and you'll be fine. It looks like a good year if this is your weaker section.

Yeah Medify would be another good resource for QR, it has a decent amount of problems to work through and they're mostly around the right level. I liked it's AR section too, but it was the first resource I used for AR so it may have just helped me over the initial WTF. Again, a decent amount of problems to work through so it's good practice. Its VR section seemed easier as the questions tend to lead you through the passage a little predictably from start to finish in many cases.

Thanks. Do you mean Medify VR was easier or the exam ? Because at the moment Medify long style VR is super hard! Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebuwa
Thanks to whoever posted the link to this website www.applyingformedicine.co.uk

I agree with you. I have also been on this website and it's fab! Saved me days of work for selecting what universities to apply to!!!!!!!
Anyone applying to Newcastle, Warwick or Kings? If so what UKCAT did you get?
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:, where are you studying at the moment?

I was also going to apply for 2015 entry, but when I looked realistically at my uni timetable and the funding I decided to wait. I did the UKCAT as a practice and wrote notes for my ps so I'm a little prepared! I'm going to be doing both the UKCAT and GAMSAT. I plan to apply to Warwick, Newcastle, Soton and Swansea (providing none of them change their entry requirements!)

I have 6 months of volunteering in a hospital, about 4 weeks of GP, I volunteer for AsthmaUk, teach first aid, work with children with learning disabilities and volunteer with STEM. I'm also VP of a society that we've kind of had to resurrect after last year!

Not sure if I should be giving tips or not, but it's worthwile going and getting some healthcare ethics books out of your uni library. It'll be worth it for interview, or so I've been told.

Can I harvest your kidneys?
Anyone applying to Newcastle, Warwick or Kings? If so what UKCAT did you get?

I plan on applying to Warwick and Kings (as well as Barts and Southampton).

Got a score of 772.5, which should hopefully be enough for interview.

Where are you thinking of applying?
I plan on applying to Warwick and Kings (as well as Barts and Southampton).

Got a score of 772.5, which should hopefully be enough for interview.

Where are you thinking of applying?

What is barts cut off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending