The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Dadex
I didn't do it last year, I did it the year before. I got 2790 overall, whereas I got 3050 before. I found AR and DA harder than I did the last time, but I kicked QR's ass (got 800). Overall though, it seemed easier, maybe because I already have previous experience.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

congrats man very good score and thank you will let you know how it goes
Reply 201
Original post by Dadex
I didn't do it last year, I did it the year before. I got 2790 overall, whereas I got 3050 before. I found AR and DA harder than I did the last time, but I kicked QR's ass (got 800). Overall though, it seemed easier, maybe because I already have previous experience.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

That's good news well done.. I have mine on 15th.. Really nervous... What resources did you use? Any advice and tips? Am struggling serious with VR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Original post by kgee
That's good news well done.. I have mine on 15th.. Really nervous... What resources did you use? Any advice and tips? Am struggling serious with VR

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used the 600q UKCAT book. The questions in there seem more difficult than the actual exam. With VR, I basically ignored anything I knew about the text's subject and went with just what the text says. If the passage is short, read it and if it's long, skim read it.

To be honest though, if you feel more confident in other areas, try not to get bogged down with VR. Do the best you can there and use the other sections to shore up your scores.
Reply 203
Original post by Dadex
I used the 600q UKCAT book. The questions in there seem more difficult than the actual exam. With VR, I basically ignored anything I knew about the text's subject and went with just what the text says. If the passage is short, read it and if it's long, skim read it.

To be honest though, if you feel more confident in other areas, try not to get bogged down with VR. Do the best you can there and use the other sections to shore up your scores.

Thanks for the advice.. Hopefully we'll meet in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 204
Original post by Dadex

with the VR section did you have more comprehension type q's or T/F q's?
Reply 205
Original post by mobo250
with the VR section did you have more comprehension type q's or T/F q's?

From the general trend people have been posting they seem to be having about 4 sets of t/f questions.. Rest are comprehension..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Original post by kgee
From the general trend people have been posting they seem to be having about 4 sets of t/f questions.. Rest are comprehension..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I had more comprehension questions, very few T/F ones.
I have my ukcat this week. And seem confident hopefully as done it before and loads of mocks. Once we have the result who do we give it to?
And if we pass when do we get welcome packs and confirmation etc?
Reply 208
Original post by Tinatrust
I have my ukcat this week. And seem confident hopefully as done it before and loads of mocks. Once we have the result who do we give it to?

You can email it to the admin or Susan...I emailed mine to her last time and am sure she can forward it to the right department as she contacted me to find out about when I was doing it.. But also, my would-be academic advisor asked me to forward my results to her after I have completed it so she can confirm my offer..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209

I sent my results to the academic advisor (I think we'll all have the same person) as she had emailed last month saying to send it to her when I'd done the exam. As for welcome packs, I'm not sure when they'll give them out.
Oh okay. So has your ucas updated Dadex
Reply 211
Not yet. I'm hoping it will today or tomorrow.
When is the last day we can sit ukcat?
Reply 213
When is the last day we can sit ukcat?

Last year, I got told it should be provided by 25th August... Don't know but I suppose it's same this year.. When are you doing yours?
I have mine in 9 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kgee
Last year, I got told it should be provided by 25th August... Don't know but I suppose it's same this year.. When are you doing yours?
I have mine in 9 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey mines onTuesday. I've heard Durham are really slow at processing in general and updating ucas.
Reply 215
Hey mines onTuesday. I've heard Durham are really slow at processing in general and updating ucas.

Yeah someone has submitted the results but said no update yet.. Well, once you have passed, whether they update it or not they have no option haha...
How well do you with preparation? Am still hitting my head against the wall for not getting grasp of things...Good luck and hope we make it through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kgee
Yeah someone has submitted the results but said no update yet.. Well, once you have passed, whether they update it or not they have no option haha...
How well do you with preparation? Am still hitting my head against the wall for not getting grasp of things...Good luck and hope we make it through

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah good luck. It's a bit of a hit or miss test alot of unis are dropping it in favour of the bmat. Im using 600q ukcat book. Just need to get it out of way so can i enjoy summer really. But i have offers elsewhere too.
Original post by kgee

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile: I'm currently in Year 12 and I am attending the 3 day Summer School for Durham Gateway to Medicine this month. I was just wondering if I should prepare for any tests as I'm unsure what to expect for for these 3 days. (If I get in, I would be starting my Foundation Year in 2016)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!
Original post by danni1998
Hello :smile: I'm currently in Year 12 and I am attending the 3 day Summer School for Durham Gateway to Medicine this month. I was just wondering if I should prepare for any tests as I'm unsure what to expect for for these 3 days. (If I get in, I would be starting my Foundation Year in 2016)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Hey this is for foundation medicine for mature students. Gateway medicine is separate. But I'm assuming you would still need to prepare for the ukcat. The cut off points vary year to year.
Reply 219
Track is finally updated and I've sent off my AS12 reply. Only took 4 days :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending